It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Christianophobia,' Anti-Christian Hostility Infects Powerful Elite Subculture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
www.christianpost.com...

Sociologists: 'Christianophobia,' Anti-Christian Hostility Infects Powerful Elite Subculture (Interview)

Sociologists David Williamson and George Yancey claim in their new book, powerful elites in positions of power and effluence have an agenda, which has been obvious to me for years.

The data for their research comes from a large national survey, the American National Election Survey, and interviews they conducted with members of liberal advocacy organizations.

The title of the book is a reference to how some Christians were put to death during the Roman Empire, and the phrase can be found on bumper stickers. Several of the interviewees used some variant of the "so few lions" theme when describing their attitudes toward Christians.

Yancey added that he and Williamson, associate professor of sociology at the University of North Texas, hope their book will make those who are hostile toward Christians more aware of their own biases so that they can correct them.

Here is a transcript of that interview:

I know because I was duped and influenced by these very same people, mostly by the literature I read and on line.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So Many Christians, So Few Lions

CP: Why did you, and co-author David Williamson, want to research and write about anti-Christian hostility?

Yancey: There is a lot of literature on hostility toward many different groups but just about none on hostility toward Christians. Yet when we collected qualitative data from cultural progressive activists we quickly saw some of the unnecessary vitriol and fears within many of our respondents. We also saw the social status of those who exhibited this hatred and many of them would be in positions that allowed them to at least subtly act on their anger and fears. That motivated us to take a more systematic look at Christianophobia and speculate on how this phenomenon influences certain social aspects in the United States.

So Many Christians, So Few Lions
.www.christianpost.com...

Another aspect that drove me to work on this project was that while I consistently saw evidence of Christianophobia in other areas of my life and in our society, unlike other types of intolerances, those who exhibited Christianophobia do not tend to think that they are intolerant. Usually those who do not like blacks or Muslims admit that they are intolerant but simply try to justify their intolerance. Those with Christianophobia tend to deny that they are intolerant but rather that they are fairly interpreting social reality. Envisioning themselves as fair and free of intolerance allows them to blame those they detest rather than recognize how their emotions have distorted their intellectual judgments.

By documenting just how hateful some of the attitudes are toward Christians, and who tends to have such hateful attitudes, I hope to bring Christianophobia into the light so that we, as a society, can discuss this social problem and how we might address bigotry in all of its myriad forms

edit on 083131p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 093131p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
If only all Christians would truly follow the teachings of Jesus (love your neighbor, don't judge, help those who need help, etc.). The problem is, so many of them don't. Those who do, have my total support.

+23 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I'm not sure I follow.

actually...I feel it's crap.

Sorry Storm...I was born in a Christian society...am more of an atheist now. I fail to see it in my society. Christians are a majority...and if anything...if there is any hatred involved...it's the christians that display it towards...I'll name just a few : gays, abortion supporters, atheists, secular politicians....etc.

Well...that's my view on it anyway.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
If only all Christians would truly follow the teachings of Jesus (love your neighbor, don't judge, help those who need help, etc.). The problem is, so many of them don't. Those who do, have my total support.

This is not about how they act,

+31 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Most Christianphobia comes from ex-Christians tired of being pushed around by their old religion and told that they are going to hell for their change in beliefs. Maybe if Christians didn't spend so much time worrying about everyone else's salvation and just worried about their own, more people would tolerate them. This includes Christians pushing for theocratic measures in government as well.

Christians have spent a long time on the top in the Western world. Yes, there is some bad persecution in the Muslim world, but they persecute everyone who isn't Muslim (and even people who are Muslim). Many of the times western Christian persecution is just Christians getting upset that others don't want Christian doctrine as the leading way of life anymore and would rather have a secular way lead instead.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Funny how accurate those old predictions are.

Mathew 24:9
Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Of the billions of Christians world wide, we will find not one is good no not one tries to follow the teachings of Christ.

That is a current theme that runs though the minds, hearts and souls, and mouths of Christianophobes.

I encounter it everyday.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

I couldn't stop thinking about that last night, it is so obviously happening and accelerating yet people don't see the daily news is full of Biblical prophecy.

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
My hostility isn't directed toward Christians, but religion in general. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends in the U.S. are very Christians and I don't berate them for it. Religion is a choice, just like anything else. So long as they don't run around bashing gays or bombing abortion clinics. Just like I have no problems with Muslims as long as they aren't beheading infidels.

The problem I have with religion is the intolerance that seems to pervade most religions. Which is ironic, since most religions are supposed to teach unconditional love and tolerance.

In short, I don't care if you're Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/Rasta/Jedi/etc so long as you don't trying to force OTHERS to conform to your beliefs.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Being raised in a very conservative fundamentalist Baptist family; the spiritual arrogance and hypocrisy was hard to ignore.

Maybe it isn't hate of Christians so much as disdain for their ignorance of Christs teachings while claiming moral superiority.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: kaylaluv

This is not about how they act,

Yes, it is everything about how they act. I personally know Christians who genuinely try to follow Christ - they struggle every day, but they try, and I can see it. I also know many "Christians-in-name-only" who have much hate in their heart, zero compassion, and judge pretty much everyone they come across, ESPECIALLY those who don't identify as Christians.

I have grown up in Texas, where there is a church on every street corner - home of Church of Christ, and the Southern Baptists, so I have been around many, many Christians in my 54 years. I know whereof I speak.

edit on 30-1-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
oh poor christians, they cant rape and pillage the world anymore, they cant oppress people like they used too.

Religion is the opium of the masses.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Poor Christians, they are so picked on and abused, people painting swastikas on their church's and their communities stalked and churchs burnt and bombed. Why? Why? Is it because they have abandoned their Christ and have become intolerant of all who don't share their faith? Maybe it's because they kill doctors who perform abortions for people who do not share their beliefs. They believe abortion is wrong and if a doctor performs one they will kill him. Sound like the message of Christ to you? I say again, poor poor Christians.

Maybe if they found their way back to Christ things would get better for them.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Mario persecution of Christians is at historical levels worldwide, but that was to be expected.

Islamic extremism main source of persecution of Christians, report says

www.jpost.com...

Persecution of Christians Reached Historic Levels in 2014.
americamagazine.org...

Will 2015 be worse?

Latin Patriarch Fouad Twal of Jerusalem visits Iraqi Christian refugees who recently fled Mosul, Iraq, in August 2014 in Jordan. Patriarch Twal praised Jordan's efforts to help the refugees and encouraged the Christians who have remained steadfast, clinging to their faith, in the midst of persecution.
From imprisonment to torture to beheadings, more Christians worldwide live in fear for their lives than at any time in the modern era.

That’s the message from Open Doors USA, which released its annual World Watch List on Jan. 7. Christian persecution reached historic levels in 2014, with approximately 100 million Christians around the world facing possible dire consequences for merely practicing their religion, according to the report. If current trends persist, many believe 2015 could be even worse.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
oh poor christians, they cant rape and pillage the world anymore, they cant oppress people like they used too.

Religion is the opium of the masses.

Prime example

Some are living up to my expectations.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Yancey: In the minds of many of the respondents Christians are ignorant, intolerant and stupid individuals who are unable to think for themselves. The general image they have of Christians is that they are a backward, non-critical thinking, child-like people who do not like science and want to interfere with the lives of everyone else.

George Yancey, professor of sociology, University of North Texas But even worse, they see ordinary Christians as having been manipulated by evil Christian leaders and will vote in whatever way those leaders want. They believe that those leaders are trying to set up a theocracy to force everybody to accept their Christian beliefs. So, for some with Christianophobia, this is a struggle for our society and our ability to move toward a progressive society. Christians are often seen as the great evil force that blocks our society from achieving this progressive paradise.

The above quote from the article is a bit broad and negative in it's painting of how some see xtians, but it does have some truth to it as well. There are indeed many xtians who would love to see a theocracy, here and now. Indeed, the very core of the xtian faith rests on an inevitable theocracy.

That xtians as a whole "want to interfere with the lives of everyone else" is non-debatable. History shows this is indeed a fact. 2000 years of agressive expansion throughout the world is testimony to the fact of the statement, as well as their intolerance of those who do not submit to the xtian godhead.

It sounds to me, like Christianophobia is a word to demonize anyone who sees xtianity for what it has shown itself to be, historically. And make victims of xtians who cry foul.

That said, not all xtians fit the historical track record of xtianity. There are many modern xtians who see their faith as a personal journey, and do not proselytize, or push their beliefs on the rest of us. These xtians, I can respect, because they have ceased from trying to conquer the world for Christ. We may disagree theologically, but at least we can live in peace together.

edit on 1/30/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
"Studies" like this (and I use the term study very loosely) only pander to the victim-status most religious types believe they live under. The Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) absolutely thrive in their cult of perpetual victimhood. Maybe they use that belief they are always the victim to justify the atrocities they commit under the guise of their religion..
edit on 30-1-2015 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

there is a difference between being psychic and having some common sense. picking fights makes you unpopular unless you are good at winning them. not our fault that the loudest christians are often the fakest.
edit on 30-1-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join