It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exactly WHO is screwing with the Loonie?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The Canadian dollar dropping about 25% is significantly related to the drop in Oil price. When Oil costs half as much people need less Canadian dollars to buy it's Oil. Canada is a big Oil exporter.

I don't believe that's the whole story however. I believe the Canadian Central Bank has intervened in the market in a couple ways. The first was a 1/4 point drop in the Bank Rate that came out of the Blue. Considering the Bank was talking about raising the rate a few weeks earlier the 1/4 point drop was a huge surprise. This signaled that the bank would aggressively push down the Canadian dollar to support exports during this worldwide slowdown. I also believe the Bank has injected more cash into the system, thus lowering the dollar, but have no evidence of it...yet!
edit on 29-1-2015 by noeltrotsky because: grammer....grrr

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
a reply to: 1Providence1

Really?

Cause there are now more people enjoying a higher standard of living in China than in any other nation on the planet. So....

Where do you get that from? I'm talking per capita terms.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Because China's middle class supercedes the entire population of the United States.

China IS NOT some weird backward communist hell hole people seem to think it is, if you were to travel to China's east coast you would think you are in a sci fi movie. China is the future.

Per capita though, meh, not really a very accurate reflection to be fair. Ten thousand dollars wont get me very far in Monaco but I could live like a god in the Philipines.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I sometimes look into moving from the UK. Canada has always been a consideration, I have some relatives there and I like nature.

Canada are advertising for manufacturing / skilled labour with instant visas and rights that other immigrants don't get.

Surely these are being advertised due to demand. I don't fit any of the categories, but looked at the list anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Canadians have been leeching the benefits of their geography with the US for years. It must be nice to have 'clean hands' and get to have all the benefits the US offers at the same time.

Clean hands are nice but clean water is sooo much better.

Speaking on leeches....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

China IS NOT some weird backward communist hell hole people seem to think it is, if you were to travel to China's east coast you would think you are in a sci fi movie. China is the future.

Chinese peoples I knew (that are now back in China), were talking very positively of their country. Based on this, I'm inclined on thinking that quoted affirmation have some merits.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Merely mention China a little tongue in cheek....But with the US and Canadian govs in still secret amalgamation talks with mexico...China may be a viable contender for our trade......
The US is buying us up for a song and dance....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

What you say is true for the most part. I worked in international trade with an emphasis on exporting U.S. goods to southeast Asia. Really enjoyed it and enjoyed working with those I worked with overseas. South Korea, China, Phillipines, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, worked with those from all of these countries and had a lot of fun too.

Now that SE Asian economies are really going, they're beginning to import more = good thing. It's the expected trend as basic economics would dictate.

I just hope we can see countries throughout the world begin to grow economically as we have seen Southeast Asia grow/

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Yeah man, I think the problem for now seems to be there is still so much dogmatic belief in the predestination of "The West" and its supposed supremecy they are failing to acknoweledge the stark reality China will emerge as a global super power. Unfortunatly there may be a lot of resistance to this global realignment. Id pretty much advise all kids to learn Chinese and study electronics if they want a chance of competing in future job markets.

And look at what their doing here, how awesome is that?!?! their gonna build a high speed rail network to Europe lol, that means going from London or Madrid to Shanghai in 2 days!!!! thats insane. People could go from London to Moscow in half a day, think what that will do for humanity, that access to freedom of travel to experiance other cultures so easily. OH BUT WAIT RUSSIA IS THE BADDY DUN DUN DUN. Wtf.

Unfortunatly there also seems to be a timeline where America will drag the rest of the planet down with us as it refuses to relinquish what power it once had.

a reply to: PeterMcFly

If you can you should go to China mate, If I knew Chinese well enough and could get a job id be living there now.
edit on 29-1-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

If you can you should go to China mate, If I knew Chinese well enough and could get a job id be living there now.

They in fact told me China is a wonderfull place to visit, but to work there... I'm too lazy and uncooperative... They would send me ASAP to re-education camp all the time!

... they are failing to acknoweledge the stark reality China will emerge as a global super power. Unfortunatly there may be a lot of resistance to this global realignment.

Don't ever underestimate the willingness of the USA to stay at the top of the food chain! They are the first to ever use nuke on civilian (twice in fact). I like to compare them to the Spartan, they are brainwashed from young age for combat, and constantly remainded they are "uniquely special", there is the american and there is the "others". If you challenge them, they like to teach you back a "lesson" you won't forget...

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
www.cbc.ca...

It appears weak oil prices are dropping the loonie like a hot potato.......
A slide to 75 cents or below is expected......

The Australian dollar is also down....

Australian dollar plummets to below 78c

www.news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The Loonie was named to be a little crazy.

Seriously, though a lower dollar is great for tourism, great for manufacturing and great for our economy in general. Cross border shopping and wintering in Florida may be a bit sucky, but you win some you lose some.

C'mon people Burger King bought out Tim Hortons....we've got bigger fish to fry.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join