It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite: Dangerous

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Having had the luxury of growing up with the first computer game systems and watching them develop into what games have become, it was Elite that made me into a gamer.

Elite was so mindbogglingly ahead of anything that came before it and for many many years anything that came after it. Elite was released in 1984, which I was fortunate enough to own a BBC Micro to run it on. No mouse, no joystick... just keys.

It was the first free form game, allowing you the freedom to roam the galaxy and be what you wanted to be. It was difficult, it was unforgiving and it was brilliant.

Zoom forward 30 years and we have Elite Dangerous.... A kickstarted project that was released late last December. I didn't back the project as a beta as I had an understanding of that the plan of action for Elite is.

Elite Dangerous you see... is at present a scaffold.... it does include a 1:1 modeled Milky way with 400 billion stars... actual locations. But it is devoid of real content at present. This has led many to feel deeply disappointed with their purchase.

But you see Frontier developments the development house of Elite, have such huge grand plans for Elite: Dangerous. It has at present a 10 year development plan... yes you heard me right a ten year development plan... the idea being they will create a persistent living galaxy, where your actions will count.

Some have compared it to Eve online or to the currently in development Star Citizen. But Elite is and never will be either of these games. Elite is all about freedom, About role playing and immersion.

It is a cerebral game that requires a level of maturity to gain anything from it. It of course is also being designed from the floor upwards to be best played in VR. Though plays very well on monitors.

If you have played Elite Dangerous, why not let me know what your thoughts are, and if you haven't played it or are thinking about playing it, please feel free to ask away.

Peace,

Korg.
edit on 28-1-2015 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
im watching this game to and i really dont think there is a game on the market that will compete with this even if its only half as complex as the original

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What is needed is strong modding tools and a way to opt into modded databases. get a few thousand people modding the hell out of different star systems, creating entire alien worlds, and you will rapidly have a game everyone feels they want to be part of...
That would free up the developers to work mostly on the engine, combat, lag and grief control, AI, etc.

Also, a real world currency of some sort (ability to cash out/into for creative items and builds).

Secondlife in space I guess..but with a point.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
im watching this game to and i really dont think there is a game on the market that will compete with this even if its only half as complex as the original

It is as wide as the ocean but at this stage only as deep as a paddling pool.... but that doesn't mean that it isn't awe inspiring.

Given a year of development it will becoming something that we just haven't had before, A galaxy of living star systems, Evolving cultures and all the intricate complexities, that lead to emergent properties that were not programmed or designed. But emerge out of the level of complexity, size and chaos theory.

No need for programmers to program ship graveyards.... they will manifest themselves after huge space wars. Perhaps a singularity is born and flung outwards towards star systems. No x-ray bursts wipe out whole civilisations... all procedurally generated, free from the programmers design.

It will be the first real virtual simulation of the galaxy that we the public can inhabit.

Awesomeness!

Korg.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I bought this last week and totally addicted, even got credit for a few new systems I've discovered.
I'm loving this game. I think it will blow Star Citizen out of the water

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
I bought this last week and totally addicted, even got credit for a few new systems I've discovered.
I'm loving this game. I think it will blow Star Citizen out of the water

Get yourself a Rift and a Hotas X52 flight stick and throttle... it's totally incredible... though you do need a serious PC to work it well.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Other than Star Citizen, nothing mcuh compares to Elite Dangerous right now.

It's one of the better made games of the last 10 years and ti's not even a nearly finished.

I'm with you OP.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Where is everyone located at in game? I'm currently docked at Lave Station in my Cobra MK-3

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Where is everyone located at in game? I'm currently docked at Lave Station in my Cobra MK-3

I'm currently in Diso on a mega Rares route...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I do the Lave to Fujin rare trade route, net about 800k round trip

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I do the Lave to Fujin rare trade route, net about 800k round trip

Since ED made a bit of a mess with he Economic Simulation, Rare routes are the only way to go if you are a trader.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Departed George Lucas station in Leesti for a long expedition to the galactic core. Making a recon on possible terraformable worlds, also looking for more Earthlike worlds. You can follow Homer's Odyssey on twitch
twitch.tv/mghomerinnc

edit on 3/18/2015 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I know thos thread is old. But the game just came out for xbox one.
I got 3 hours in so far and not even quarter of the way threw the training modules.
I can see many sleepless nights ahead of me as i get used to the mechanics and learning curve.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
I know thos thread is old. But the game just came out for xbox one.
I got 3 hours in so far and not even quarter of the way threw the training modules.
I can see many sleepless nights ahead of me as i get used to the mechanics and learning curve.

I use a Hotas X52 and voice attack to control the game on the PC. I'm curious to how the flight mechanics translate to gamepad.

What are your thoughts on the controls?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I was hoping for a button layout in the start screen or something, but its all trial and error.
LB and RB are used for back/forward
X is to deploy hardpoints,
RT is to fire
the D pad is used to go through Eng, weap, and an other. And the 2 computers on either side of the cockpit.
the thumb sticks are for maneuvers.
Y brings up a semi screen to use hyper and cruise

Theres no tutorial on what buttons do what, the training missions are there for the player to figure it out on their own.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: macenroe82

I was hoping for a button layout in the start screen or something, but its all trial and error.
LB and RB are used for back/forward
X is to deploy hardpoints,
RT is to fire
the D pad is used to go through Eng, weap, and an other. And the 2 computers on either side of the cockpit.
the thumb sticks are for maneuvers.
Y brings up a semi screen to use hyper and cruise

Theres no tutorial on what buttons do what, the training missions are there for the player to figure it out on their own.

To be fair, even though there are mappings available for the PC, it's often a case of getting it right for you.

I guess it's what you get used to.

One tip I would say to you is especially true for combat.... assign a button to flight assist on/off. It will come in handy when in combat and you need to defend from marauding Eagle fighters..

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I havent got to the main game yet, but i hear that you can be attacked by "pirates"
Players trying to steal cargo, or just destroy me. Im interested in knowing how you can "steal" cargo from another players ship.

From what ive learnt so far, im thinking i want to focus on some trade routes to get a well developed ship, then use it to travel to distant planets to map them.
I still dont have a full understanding of what is possible to do in the game.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: macenroe82
I havent got to the main game yet, but i hear that you can be attacked by "pirates"
Players trying to steal cargo, or just destroy me. Im interested in knowing how you can "steal" cargo from another players ship.

From what ive learnt so far, im thinking i want to focus on some trade routes to get a well developed ship, then use it to travel to distant planets to map them.
I still dont have a full understanding of what is possible to do in the game.

Trading is the only real way to make good enough money to progress to begin with. Earning the first million is the hardest... then money just comes naturally.

Don't get hung up on just earning money though, the game is still sparse but it's awesome too....

after I earned my first 25 mill, I decided to go out and explore.. I made it nearly all the way to center of the galaxy but was forced to turn back after jumping into a trinary star system where all the stars were orbiting each other a super close range... I got seriously fried and had to limp back to human space.... I was 7000LY out from Sol at that point.

If you want to pirate cargo you have two choices. 1. get them to drop their cargo without a fight or 2. or fight them until either they drop cargo or are destroyed.

You can then target the cargo and use a cargo scoop.

There are repercussions of being a pirate though such as paying fines and having a price on your head.

Frontier need to do much to Flesh the game out... they appear to be fleshing out the PVP game play to compete with the likes of Eve Valkyrie and Star Citizen.... Frontier could do well to focus on fleshing the galaxy out with anomalies and Mysteries to discover.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
its just such a huge game, its pretty overwhelming at first. It does a great job at letting the player know exactly how big our galaxy is. I hope that this weekend i can finish the training and get onto some actual gaming.
I should try to find a quick start guide for the XB1 version to see whats needed to make a million credits and which ship upgrades are on the top of the priority list

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I bought Elite dangerous a week ago. Awesome game four hundred billion starsystems I don't think I will visit them all in my lifetime.

They said that the targoids are somewhere within this galaxy. Nobody has eencountered them yet ,but what I've read they should be there .

There are some who have encountered weird abandoned alien artifacts that until now nobody seem to know what they are or where they come from.

I know we humans defeated the targoids but rumours go that they are coming back to destroy or to be allies with us?
I'm trying to reach Sol now , and I'm curious about alpha centauri too. After that I'm trying to decide weather I go to the outer rim or center of the milky way, anyway my main goal would be seaching for the fearless Targoids to bargain with and restore peace between our races if possible.

In remembrance of commander jameson...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join