It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow's headlines, weather forecasts more difficult due to climate change....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The great blizzard of 2015 has been a flop. Somebody has to be thrown under the bus or they need to come up with another excuse. My guess is blame global warming.....

www.nj.com...

So thats my prediction, headlines will read.. "Global warming cause of failed weather predictions"

edit on 27-1-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
According to the US National Weather Service Nashville Tennessee
"Nashville's average high temperature will only increase from now (48° F) through August 12 (90° F)"

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
The great blizzard of 2015 has been a flop. Somebody has to be thrown under the bus or they need to come up with another excuse. My guess is blame global warming.....

www.nj.com...

So thats my prediction, headlines will read.. "Global warming cause of failed weather predictions"

If their forecasting models are this flawed for a 24 hour window, why do they believe their long-term models are better?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

because a consensus of weathermen decided it was going to be a blizzard.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

www.nj.com...

If their forecasting models are this flawed for a 24 hour window, why do they believe their long-term models are better?

" climate and weather are not the same thing". Is their standard response, although they still never explained why they can't tell the weather tomorrow but they claim to know the climate( a much more complex system than weather) a hundred or more years out...

Funny isn't it?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

www.nj.com...

" climate and weather are not the same thing". Is their standard response, although they still never explained why they can't tell the weather tomorrow but they claim to know the climate( a much more complex system than weather) a hundred or more years out...

Funny isn't it?

If their short-term models are flawed, and they extrapolate the flaw into the future, the error in the forecast will grow exponentially.

I think it's safe to say that a lot of weather "scientists" probably didn't make it through all the other hard sciences, like electrical engineering, medical school, software development, chemical engineering, etc.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

www.nj.com...

Funny isn't it?

If it keeps the funding coming in, then they'll say just about anything the Governments want to hear. After all, Global warming is a BIG bucks business, lots of taxes to be claimed from your Carbon footprint, you naughty, wicked person.

I've tried not breathing to reduce my Carbon emissions, but it's futile.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

A flop for who? Yeah some places didn't get hit as bad because the storm didn't go as far west as SOME models predicted, other models are pretty close. In Boston we're getting the worst of it, as predicted. Nuances exist, a weather system can shift for the slightest reason at any given time, just because you don't understand the complexity involved doesn't mean anyone/model is wrong.

People say the weather can't be predicted accurately. The case is actually that people don't know how to listen or read forecasts correctly... same with anything involved in climate science. It's so much easier to dismiss than learn, I suppose.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Which may be one of the reasons the UK's Met Office has invested in some new kit.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

Weather's complicated.

Regards

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

A flop for who? Yeah some places didn't get hit as bad because the storm didn't go as far west as SOME models predicted, other models are pretty close. In Boston we're getting the worst of it, as predicted. Nuances exist, a weather system can shift for the slightest reason at any given time, just because you don't understand the complexity involved doesn't mean anyone/model is wrong.

People say the weather can't be predicted accurately. The case is actually that people don't know how to listen or read forecasts correctly... same with anything involved in climate science. It's so much easier to dismiss than learn, I suppose.

Whatever you say,

www.lehighvalleylive.com...

www.nj.com...

Thats a flop. Read and learn

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I hear you !
Producer : push the global warming bs, and you mention anything about ice ages and your fired !

Pffft

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Well I'm buried in 2 feet of snow and it's still coming down hard with whiteout conditions so... no flop here.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Well I'm buried in 2 feet of snow and it's still coming down hard with whiteout conditions so... no flop here.

well it's cold here in Indiana and they still say global warming.everyone tells me I have to look at it on a global scale.you need to look at the blizzard on a regional scale not a local scale.
when weather men that are normally allowed a 30% miss are apologizing, that tells me they really missed this one. Just not at your house.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Actually you need to look at a lot stuff in order to understand how climate change affects weather and you need to look at a lot of stuff in order to understand why this forecast goes one way and that forecast goes another way or why no forecast panned out or why it was less or more.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
97% of weather advertisers agree

never let a crisis go to waste.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Wait, so you wrote a big long post saying that models can be flawed and read wrong and thus can't always be right ... and you are calling us silly for saying exactly that about the much more complicated climate models?

Irony!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I have a crazy, novel, off-the-wall idea...

How about we stop calling everything "extreme", "historical", "record breaking", "anomolous", and "unusual" until we know that it's actually going be such ?

There used to be a time when weather events weren't actually labelled historical or record breaking until AFTER the fact. Otherwise, it was just simply known as "bad weather"... not "Storm Susie" or "Storm Diana".

But now with the 'advantages' of computer modelling, they've blessed us with future predictions, speculations, and hypothesized notions. We no longer receive the standard common sense storm warnings anymore... we now get spoonfed with hyperbolic premature conjecture.

Nothing like a daily injection of fear and panic to keep the masses cowering in the corner with their $250 survival pack of MRE's clutched tightly to their chests.

No such thing as just plain old bad weather anymore... Nope, now we have historical record-breaking anomolies heading our way.

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my !

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Don't forget that with today's weather prediction abilities, our dear leaders can also threaten us with legal penalties if we don't obey their direct commands and curfews too. It's like a new category of weather induced martial law.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah but before you obey that emergency life-threatening curfew order... make sure you run out to Walmart and spend your next two paycheques on state-of-the-art solar blankets and titanium dipped flint firestarters.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

no, No, NO! It must be bread, milk and EGGS. Don't you know anything about snow disasters?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join