It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicked super rich buying boltholes with private airstrips to escape if poor rise up

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

If you make under 15 dollars an hour you are screwed in the next couple of years due to inflationary boundaries. Prices are rising much faster that wages and eventually we will reach a tipping point. The people who make under this amount will not be able to afford food and housing.

1993 average new car = $15,000

2015 average new car = $30,000

Do the math this can not continue on for much longer. Either we will see a massive deflationary decay or the bottom 70% will fail and need to be helped out for basic survival needs. Think I am crazy for thinking this could happen.......See it for yourself. Why are they pushing 10 year car loans and leases. Why did the government take control of school loans. Why are 50% of the people on government aid. Why are lower wage earners demanding a living wage.........It all adds up.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Very good idea.

We could be on Mars by now easily if it was not for the push against technologies in the 60's and 70's.

Read about the NERVA project sometime.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Jamie1

And how is a new business owner supposed to compete with corporations who underpay their employees and can control the prices in the market?

He'll come in, try to do right, and then be forced to become just like everyone else or fail as the ones with money force them out of the business by taking advantage of their vast wealth to keep prices lower than they can afford. The sick thing is, their employees and others are forced to help with this, because they can't afford to pay for the higher cost merchandise because their corporate masters are keeping them to poor to do otherwise.

It's sick, psychopathic genius.

New business owners do it all the time.

Where do you live? The U.S.?

What's sick is people complaining about other people having more of what they claim to want instead of getting up early, and working late on making a life for themselves.

I have dozens of friends with their own businesses.

I will guarantee you 100% that you're chance to have the life you want is greater if you put all your effort into starting your own business rather than complaining about those who did.

I get up early, work late, pay my bills living paycheck to paycheck. I don't have the time to go camping or the money to even go to the movies. I have had my job for 23 years. What exactly do you suggest i do to make a better life for myself? I am open to any and all suggestions.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: Pimpish
a reply to: Jamie1

Costs money to get more education and skills. If you're living paycheck to paycheck barely paying bills and eating, you have no money to spend on education. Not everyone is privileged enough to have been able to go to college after high school. Some people didn't have the grades, some people had to start working immediately due to family situations, plus many other reasons where more education simply wasn't possible.

It's not so black and white as you make it seem.

Some people show up in the U.S. with nothing and within a year have their own business.

Yeah, it IS black and white.

If this has happened in the last 10 or even 15 years with any regularity I would be surprised. Can you find even one example of this? I have my doubts that you can. You say this happens but I have never seen it. I see plenty of people busting their humps and breaking their bodies and barely able to afford necessities though. If this miraculous something from nothing because of hard work pipe dream still happens I think it has more to do with luck then work ethic (or conservative spending and general savvy, or whatever lucky people tell themselves so they can feel deserving).

I can show you a few wealthy people who came from "nothing" who are fully cognizant of the fact that it is Better To Be Lucky Than Good though; including my own family. Most people in that upper tier sell themselves a pretty good line about how hard they work but if you really press them most admit to an inheritance, general windfall, or really lucky break. They don't have any better work ethic than the working class though. They. Just. Got. Lucky.

Yes, this took me about 9 seconds using Google.

articles.latimes.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk... anicure-industry.html

Here's the difference.

People in other cultures are taught to work hard, not complain. They are not taught that business owners are bad people, or that the rich are evil.

There are so many variables that went into your "vietnamese nail industry" example. The article even credits luck as being a major factor.

So i should quit my current job and hope to get lucky? Yeah, right.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I agree with you to a point. However, the fallacy in your thinking is that you are implying that you aren't successful unless you are worth hundreds of millions of dollars or billions.

For most people, being successful is the house in burbs, 2.5 kids, and white picket fence. Simply being able to work in your chosen career and earn a decent living is being SUCCESSFUL. Basically being a middle class Joe. It doesn't take rich parents to accomplish this goal.

I look at myself where I was the first to graduate college (and grad school) and have a solid 1 or 2% income. I'm well on my way to being a millionaire. My grandfather was an illiterate share cropper and line cook. My grandmother a hair dresser. My father a cop and my mother a secretary. They knew education was important and pushed it on me. Through hard work and focus, I managed to work my way up to where I am now. I know quite a few people who have done the same. it wasn't that difficult.

I always wanted to run my own business, but much like your post posits, I figured out I simply did not have the resources to start my dream corporations. I did start some smaller businesses and my current business is reasonably successful, but I didn't have the connections to say get a $2 million loan from Mom & Dad in angel funds or heck even $100k in my early 20s. Even though I could theoretically do so now, I have a lot more at risk so I don't know that it is feasible.

The reality is that poor people do things that keep them poor and successful people do things that make them successful. Poor who emulate successful people (hard work, valuing education, etc) usually will see themselves rise out of poverty into the middle class or at bare minimum, their children will do so as has been shown by generations of poor people moving to America and other capitalist countries for the opportunity.

Bottom line is if you can't make it in America, you are phucking loser as far as I am concerned. Seriously. I'm not saying you will be filthy rich, but you can certainly put food on the table.

Okay. So you are calling me a loser? I was raised as an only child in a single parent home. My mother did the best she could but never put me on a path of success. She didn't know what it took to become successful. So how could she instill that in me? I graduated high school and found zero opportunities to attend college. Scholarships were only for the athletes and the super intelligent back then. Even if i could have gotten a student loan, I never knew that existed at that time. So, with my mother struggling to pay the bills i naturally went out and got a job. I was working a full time job and attending my junior and senior years in school. I got a job at 19 that I have to this day. That was 24 years ago and I still live paycheck to paycheck.

What about that makes me a loser?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: TrueAmerican

If you make under 15 dollars an hour you are screwed in the next couple of years due to inflationary boundaries. Prices are rising much faster that wages and eventually we will reach a tipping point. The people who make under this amount will not be able to afford food and housing.

1993 average new car = $15,000

2015 average new car = $30,000

Do the math this can not continue on for much longer. Either we will see a massive deflationary decay or the bottom 70% will fail and need to be helped out for basic survival needs. Think I am crazy for thinking this could happen.......See it for yourself. Why are they pushing 10 year car loans and leases. Why did the government take control of school loans. Why are 50% of the people on government aid. Why are lower wage earners demanding a living wage.........It all adds up.

One of the 2 will happen, but deflation will only set in as long as there are enough people to force it. If cars are produced in numbers around the 30% whom can afford them then deflation will not set in. Same reason Ferraris do not suffer deflation they build only so many. As of now deflation for all goods are staved off with government handouts.
edit on 7-2-2015 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

When you consider the bucks being printed at huge rates by our oh, so benevolent govt, hyper inflation is much more likely than deflation.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Merinda
One of the 2 will happen, but deflation will only set in as long as there are enough people to force it. If cars are produced in numbers around the 30% whom can afford them then deflation will not set in. Same reason Ferraris do not suffer deflation they build only so many. As of now deflation for all goods are staved off with government handouts.

Except, you forgot the thing that CURRENTLY HAPPENS with overpriced cars, priced beyond the reach of consumer disposable incomes. The big corps put the unsold cars into giant parking lots, to be held indefinitely if needed. They essentially "wish them into the cornfield". We don't have real supply and demand in the USA, making your example moot.

American Automobile Glut? Unsold Cars Are Piling Up

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join