It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter could be 'scout' for Mars rovers.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: Xeven
a reply to: CitizenJack

A Balloon would do better. This thing will get ruined quickly. Build a no leak balloon where you can recompress the gas into a cylinder. If you want to guide it put props on it. At least if the props get destroyed you can still let the wind blow the balloon around mars. Even better make the surface of the balloon a solar cell and receiver antennae as well .

Common misconception about Mars's ability to support aerodynamic flight.

A balloon would be much harder than a plane or helicopter on Mars due to Mars's low atmospheric pressure. Mars's lower gravity coupled with the fact that it often produces high winds indicates planes and helicopters are in fact possible on Mars. In fact, it may even be possible to have human powered flight when we finally get there.

A balloon that could inflate and deflate when desired seems like a good idea. On a calm day inflate it and snap photos. Then slowly deflate and wait for the next available day. Maybe they could even send 50 or so such devices in one trip.

Balloons would work well in Venus's thick, high pressure, atmosphere but not as well on Mars.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: phantomjack

That`s the first thing I thought too, would a helicopter even work in a low atmosphere environment?
I don`t think so.

edit on 27-1-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ringlerum

MARS ROVER FAKERY FINALLY BUSTED. A photo from the Mars Curiosity Rover that NASA most likely accidentally released to the public, (and accidental government leaks have happened many times) show a man clearly leaning over the Curiosity Rover doing some type of fix or maintenance...

www.pinterest.com...

That is only a shadow cast by a part of the rover, and it has been covered already in several threads over the past year and a half that the image was first released. It really has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Here is the latest thread dedicated to this picture of a shadow cast by an instrument on the rover:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1/27/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

originally posted by: CitizenJack
a reply to: MysterX

If you have a moment watch the video I poseted. They recreated the martian atmosphere in a chamber and used this a a basis for testing lift and flight.

Yes the atmosphere is thinner however scientist have worked it out. Its actualy a neat video from JPL.

Come on guys read the article and watch the video. I keep seeing this comment. "It wouldn't fly in thin atmosphere"
These guys are scientist and engineers , don't you think they thought of this ?
edit on 27-1-2015 by CitizenJack because: typo

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

What were the writers thinking in 1938?
Was that allegory the German para-scopes searching for armaments being smuggled to England?
Did U28 give the SS Falaba 7 minutes to disembark the passengers or 23?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I get the rover for soil samples and such but helicopter and balloons? Havent they already demonstrated the camera abilities of our spy satellites? A couple three satellites would map, zoom and photograph any anomalies. I've seen photos from the 80's taken from space that can read licence plates.. I can only imagine what they can do now..

This has to be a joke or money grab for NASA ..

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: phantomjack

Well considering Parachutes have been used to land Human craft on Mars for 40 years, I think a helicopter would do just fine.
news.discovery.com...

In fact I would think that some kind of jet rocket aircraft would also work well on Mars...using hydrogen or peroxide or some sort of fuel. Not to mention our already famous black triangles.
Do'nt forget also, that the gravity on Mars, is only approx 38% of Earth.
There is wind, clouds, mini tornadoes on Mars, so aerodynamic flight should be possible.

As far a solar power goes we have the tech. But remember the Curiosity is powered by a nuclear battery.
edit on 27-1-2015 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ringlerum

MARS ROVER FAKERY FINALLY BUSTED. A photo from the Mars Curiosity Rover that NASA most likely accidentally released to the public, (and accidental government leaks have happened many times) show a man clearly leaning over the Curiosity Rover doing some type of fix or maintenance...

www.pinterest.com...

The whole Mars Rover project over these many years may have been a front to justify a large budget directed towards such a project, but the money most likely was directed towards other government projects, like Black Projects.

For many years people glancing and studying Mars images released from NASA's Rovers, have noticed objects and formations that look remarkable man made, along with animals looking fossils sometimes. Turns out there was a real good reason for that, because those objects where on Earth to begin with.

Debunked ages ago, simply false.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: HooHaa

Some of the military earth based GPS systems are said to use the rotation of the front wheel of a jeep to measure distances.
According to an earlier post:

If you have a moment watch the video I poseted. They recreated the martian atmosphere in a chamber and used this a a basis for testing lift and flight.

Martian atmosphere is somewhat opaque in the visible spectrum Martian soil and dust storms more so.

I doubt they expect any of us engineers to haul out our cavitation equations with fly by wire closed loop solutions.

Mars has no substantial magnetic field to operate a tether system.

The real question is whether our government would value more data from Mars as opposed to world peace or freedom from fossil fuel price manipulation by you know who.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Discovery channel show Alien Planet, docufiction, had some great thoughts on the subject of exploring alien worlds by air.

Snippet on wikipedia about one scene in Alien Planet: "The robotic probes sent out to research on Darwin IV are called Horus Probes. Each Horus probe consists of an 8-foot (2.4 m) high, 40-foot (12 m) long inflatable, hydrogen-filled balloon, which is covered with solar receptors, a computer 'brain', a 'head' covered with sensors, and several smaller robots that can be sent to places too dangerous for the probes themselves. The probes have a limited degree of artificial intelligence, very similar to the 'processing power' of a 4-year-old. All the real thinking is done by a supercomputer in the orbiting Von Braun. The probes are programmed with different personalities; Ike is more cautious, while Leo is the risk-taker. The two probes are also equipped with a holographic message that will be projected to any sentient life found on Darwin."

Its a fun watch too!

edit on 6-2-2015 by Martianlanded because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Why not just use a blimp-like vehicle?
A lot less that can technically go wrong, and a much longer range with less energy consumption.
Seems like a no-brainer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join