It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sam Smith to pay Tom Petty royalties for "Stay with Me"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have been saying this since I heard this crappy song. "Stay with me" by Sam Smith, is similar in chord progressions/melody to "Won't back down" by Tom Petty.
Em D G Em D G
Stay with me / I won't back down
Em D G
Because you're all I need

www.avclub.com...
edit on 26-1-2015 by kevinp2300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: kevinp2300

yep sure is a ripp off,too many musos ripp off others,the future of songwriting is bleek lol,

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: eyeinoz

Ya, it has happened throughout the last 60 years. Led zeppelin copied a lot of songs from older artists in the 50's. Unfortunately, there were no copyright laws back then.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Maybe Tom Petty can pay Sam Smith to shut up and stop making his whiny crap sounds passed off as music.

Can't freaking stand that guy, and its all the worse since his "music" is in ridiculously heavy rotation.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300
I have been saying this since I heard this crappy song. "Stay with me" by Sam Smith, is similar in chord progressions/melody to "Won't back down" by Tom Petty.
Em D G Em D G
Stay with me / I won't back down
Em D G
Because you're all I need

www.avclub.com...

It will continue to happen as long as they keep writing such simplistic songs. There are endless songs that have Em D G chord changes.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I just about fell off my chair when I read this part in your link:

Smith is presumably very excited to share his next all-new original tune, tentatively titled “Tree Fallin’,” from his forthcoming album Total Lunar Illness.

LMAO @ "Tree Fallin"

That wouldn't happened to rhyme with "Free Fallin", would it...?

But in defense of Sam Smith, at least he's a Tom Petty fan.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Wrong...copyright law began in 1790...and revised in the US in both 1909 and 1976.

There were copyrights in force in the 50s.

I know. I had one 1959.I still own it...and my group had over 10 top ten records. We received and paid out royalties...and still receive them as well from material recorded then.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

any songs i would know?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Most likely yes..used in The Sopranos, a Steve Martin movie, a David Spade movie and a bunch of commercials. We were an instrumental group, and in Billboards Top 100 R n R Groups of all time.

That being said...Im not here for any promoting or discussing my history: only when it comes up that any life-experiences Ive had...may qualify me to address an issue here. Hence the name "Mysterioustanger".

You and I and all of us...have our past that tend to make us what and who we are, right? But the specifics...at least in my experiences...are irrelevant to the overall picture of our lives.

So, I ilke my privacy, and am greatful to still get copyright royalties each quarter worldwide...and the amazing fact we still are popular and sell well in parts of the globe.

Other than that...we all are only the sum total of all of our individual knowledge and experiences. Nothing more, nothing less.

And in the end? Im just a guy standing in the line with jeans and tennis shoes. Just like a million others.

Thank you though for asking.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thats awesome that you got a chance to make music for a living. Have you ever heard of John Brion or Michael Brook? John did the score for Magnolia, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind(my favorite OST of all time) and Michael Brook did Into the Wild and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

new topics

top topics

join