It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warm Ocean Melting East Antarctica's Largest Glacier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yet another instance of "happening faster than we thought" by scientists who are sounding the alarm on the melting of glaciers due to warming of the oceans. The Glacier in question is the largest Glacier in East Antarctica.

Sydney (AFP) - The largest glacier in East Antarctica, containing ice equivalent to a six-metre (20-foot) rise in global sea levels, is melting due to warm ocean water, Australian scientists said on Monday.

The 120-kilometre (74.4 mile) long Totten Glacier, which is more than 30 kilometres wide, had been thought to be in an area untouched by warmer currents.

But a just-returned voyage to the frozen region found the waters around the glacier were warmer than expected and likely melting the ice from below.

Here's a list of the warmest years on record according to NOAA: www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

Top 10 Warmest Years (1880–2014)
The following table lists the global combined land and ocean annually-averaged temperature rank and anomaly for each of the 10 warmest years on record.

RANK
1 = WARMEST
PERIOD OF RECORD: 1880–2014 YEAR ANOMALY °C ANOMALY °F
1 2014 0.69 1.24
2 (tie) 2010 0.65 1.17
2 (tie) 2005 0.65 1.17
4 1998 0.63 1.13
5 (tie) 2013 0.62 1.12
5 (tie) 2003 0.62 1.12
7 2002 0.61 1.10
8 2006 0.60 1.08
9 (tie) 2009 0.59 1.06
9 (tie) 2007 0.59 1.06

I think this whole Global Warming-Ocean(s) rising thing isn't happening on man's predicted timescale but it is happening. My question is when are we going to see the dramatic effects that have been predicted? We have had the warmest year on record in 2014; in fact most of the warmest years on record have been since 1998. There have been some weird storms and viruses, and such; however, will the oceans start to rise as predicted? I have my own ideas but I'm just playing devil's advocate and asking questions on the other side of the coin.....What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 26-1-2015 by lostbook because: word change

edit on 26-1-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: fixed typo in subject line

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I am curious as well. My location is 200' above sea level. I have plans to move to the coast, but if the coast is coming here, I'll just wait a bit. But a time table would sure be nice.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Many Shipping lines in Japan are now considering going through the Arctic since so much ice melts there now to have a viable shipping route. It will save them a lot of money.

Global warming? you guys are crazy.. Its all in your imagination. (jumps into his V10 Ford truck)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I am curious as well. My location is 200' above sea level. I have plans to move to the coast, but if the coast is coming here, I'll just wait a bit. But a time table would sure be nice.

Maybe the rise of the oceans will be the last phase of the warming process....? However, by then it will be too late.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Global warming is a secret plot by the US government along side the United Nations to melt Antarctica to reveal the ancient lost cities of gold millions of years old. All records of these cities were lost with the city itself. We did not know of these cities until contact was made. Whoever reaches said cities first gets to claim them and rule the world. No sources, 100 % made up conspiracy. But when you think about it, it would kind of make sense

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

If what we are told is true, then it's already too late. (as far as melting glaciers) I don't doubt warming at all. I just have a hard time understanding the "ramifications" as they are usually exponentially larger and worse than actual. I suppose if "they" didn't hyper-inflate the doom, nobody would pay it much attention. If 20 years ago I was told the entire global climate would warm 1.6 degrees in 20 years, I think I'd say, "meh, whatever, please pass me another beer". But knowing the polar bears are going to be roaming the streets of NC soon as their natural habitat is disappearing, I am much more environmentally conscious.

Seriously, I would rather hear some factual predictions rather than the extreme doom scenarios.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Seriously, I would rather hear some factual predictions rather than the extreme doom scenarios.

You forget that the predictions made are the ones MOST acceptable to a skeptical public and politicians. The "average" prediction when you include them all is far worse. The most telling thing I heard was in an informal conversation on radio with a climatologist in which he said : most people are very scared of what will happen, but can't say so.......hmmm

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

You forget that the predictions made are the ones MOST acceptable to a skeptical public and politicians. The "average" prediction when you include them all is far worse. The most telling thing I heard was in an informal conversation on radio with a climatologist in which he said : most people are very scared of what will happen, but can't say so.......hmmm

I've heard this too. All the simulation results in public stop at 2100. With the curves on the right sloping sharply up.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

If what we are told is true, then it's already too late. (as far as melting glaciers) I don't doubt warming at all. I just have a hard time understanding the "ramifications" as they are usually exponentially larger and worse than actual. I suppose if "they" didn't hyper-inflate the doom, nobody would pay it much attention. If 20 years ago I was told the entire global climate would warm 1.6 degrees in 20 years, I think I'd say, "meh, whatever, please pass me another beer". But knowing the polar bears are going to be roaming the streets of NC soon as their natural habitat is disappearing, I am much more environmentally conscious.

From known physics:

The ramifactions are that the change will be much larger in the future, and a significant amount is already unstoppable because of past actions. There is a major time delay, that's why we don't see huge changes, yet.

The ocean has taken up a large fraction of the extra heat and that won't always be so accommodating.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Many Shipping lines in Japan are now considering going through the Arctic since so much ice melts there now to have a viable shipping route. It will save them a lot of money.

Global warming? you guys are crazy.. Its all in your imagination. (jumps into his V10 Ford truck)

The North-West Passage hasn't opened up fully yet - I think that there's only been one commercial trip through it in recent years. The North-East passage however is a different question - 70-odd passages last year.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

That's pretty much what it looks like. 50 years from now, someone will look at this story and be really angry.
www.breitbart.com...

Today, it's just a small joke and talking point at best.

I have to go now, the parts for my polar bear feeder just came in!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Its summer down here in the southern hemisphere. This happens every year.
The ice is melting, the ice is melting and then we don't hear about it till the next summer.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ

Its summer down here in the southern hemisphere. This happens every year.
The ice is melting, the ice is melting and then we don't hear about it till the next summer.

Yes, it is summer here. however, there is uncontested proof that the glaciers are retreating. This has huge flow on effects.

Besides a few places, due to local conditions, we are seeing glacial retreat globally. This is measurable. Just have a look at the glacier front at both Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers in South Westland, in New Zealand, for an example. Also Briksdalsbreen in Norway for example.
The fact that it is occurring in Antarctica is huge.

Same with the Arctic. There is very little old ice remaining:

Glacial retreat since 1850

This concerns me. It should concern you, too.
edit on 26-1-2015 by aorAki because: Links etc

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If there is any secrets to be revealed by melting ice. It will be in Greenland.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Until contact was made..........? Contact with whom?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Not concerned at all. The earth will do what the earth will do, and man has zero say in it.
What will I do, adapt to the conditions and carry on.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

Yes, but it is also accepted Science that we are exacerbating, at the very least, the pace of climate change, so we do have a say in it...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ya, isn't this called summer right now down in the Antarctic?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I remember the 1970s, it was scientific fact the earth was entering a ice age because of man. Guess that didn't work out.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

Glacial retreat since 1850

This concerns me. It should concern you, too.

Wow sic! Haven't seen this one.

And made by the NOAA..

---

Nothing to see here.

Is that a problem?

What can you do?

We'll just adapt..

( ..puts some chewing tobacco in his cheek, and gets into his V10 Ford truck feeling like a badass.)

Oh, and he has one of these stickers on his truck..

edit on 26-1-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join