It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's for chit chat! :) I am looking for pipettes !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Plastic ones, but everything I'm finding appears to have a max carrying / transfer capacity of about 4ml....

What I'm looking for are the large pipettes with no bulb. Something you'd have to dip down into a container full of liquid to the right level, and place your thumb over the edge of the pipette to apply suction so as to move the liquid from point a to point b.

I'm also looking for pipettes which are graduated in such a way that the markings will not come off when in touch with the solutions dipped into. Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerine seem to dissolve the graduated markings off of the outer edge of hypodermic syringes, thus doing no good. The end result is that the color used to create the marking is now leeched into the solution (contamination), and you are now blind as for using the required amounts given that you have no gradation.

I've searched google and ebay, not found what I am looking for. I am not opposed to glass, other than the probability of breaking them, and that they tend to be more expensive than plastic ones.

Any suggestions as to where to look? Or am I simply not looking for the right THING (ie, they might have a different name than pipettes) ?

Any advice cheerfully received

- NF

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Here you go! gotta love ebay.

ETA:
NUTS forgot to post the linky:
www.ebay.ca...

edit on 1/25/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Oh I searched for Pyrex as the markings will be permanent as opposed to plastic which as you discovered are degradable/non-permanent. However you could use plastic and use a scribe to mark the graduations and then remove the printed ones.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Hey! Thanks so much!

Are you very familiar with the nomenclature that goes along with the various types of pipettes? For instance

"Corning PYREX Glass 1/10mL in 1/100 Reusable Mohr Measuring Pipette Pipet 7060"....can you decode that for me?

I know how to use them, just don't know the associated terminology....

Also, I'm not seeing much in the way of verbosity when explaining if any of these are single pipettes, or sets of pipettes like you'd get with the plastic ones. Am I to assume they are sold as single units due to the greater expense of the pyrex versus that of the plastic?

At first, for recipe building and trial runs, I am going to be making units of 10 or less ml total. Once details are nailed down and approvals made, well, bucket sized aproaches ahoi!

-NF

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: Kukri

Hey! Thanks so much!

Are you very familiar with the nomenclature that goes along with the various types of pipettes? For instance

"Corning PYREX Glass 1/10mL in 1/100 Reusable Mohr Measuring Pipette Pipet 7060"....can you decode that for me?

I know how to use them, just don't know the associated terminology....

Also, I'm not seeing much in the way of verbosity when explaining if any of these are single pipettes, or sets of pipettes like you'd get with the plastic ones. Am I to assume they are sold as single units due to the greater expense of the pyrex versus that of the plastic?

At first, for recipe building and trial runs, I am going to be making units of 10 or less ml total. Once details are nailed down and approvals made, well, bucket sized aproaches ahoi!

-NF

You can click on the item and scroll down the following page to get a better description usually.
The pipettes you described above are 1/10th ml capacity graduated in 1/100 ml increments. Most of these are probably single unit prices unless otherwise stated in the description. I'm not familiar with lab equipment per se other than some minor school stuff so the TD part I have no idea. If it's for non-medical use you could probably get used bulk pipettes at a good price.

Cautionary advice:
ebay is a buyer beware thing so be sure to check out the photos and description and the reputation of the seller before committing to buy. Use paypal if you can and never give out CC info or other financial info. That said I have had no bad experiences yet and I've bought a fair bit of stuff from there (mostly locks).

ETA: Something like this may be more practical for your needs 10 ml in 1/10 ml grads and a reaasonable price but used and less than pristine condition. www.ebay.ca... Don't be afraid to spend some time hunting as there may be an incredible deal on the next page or scroll to the bottom and there may be suggestions for other similar auction items.

Hope this helps:
edit on 1/25/2015 by Kukri because: ETA:

edit on 1/25/2015 by Kukri because: typos

new topics

top topics

join