It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this object in photo of Russia Military S500 article?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Mods: Not sure if this is right forum, feel free to move.

What is this object in photo of Russia Military S500 article? Glare? Looks interesting so thought we could share.

Original photo

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: YouNeedMe

It appears to be a lens flare.

The dot would be the sun and the line, probably a reflection of the semicircular rim of the camera lens shroud, reduced and straightened by reflection from the surface of the highly curved fisheye lens.

From the shadows in the picture, the position of the sun can be inferred and it would align particularly tightly with the orientation of the flare.

The absence of secondary 'images' of the sun would indicate that this is not a compound lens system but more likely a high quality single lens (which argues for the greater curvature of the lens).

edit on 25/1/2015 by chr0naut because: Added stuff

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It's a lens flare, these are very common.

abcnews.go.com...
i.huffpost.com...
i.imgur.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
Lens Flare???

The shadows on the vehicles ......

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Oh man, I can't recall what the name of that friggin' game is called! It's a game piece, it's gotta be a game piece.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Holy crap! Great explanation

I am not one to go for the "science trumps all" approaches. However, I do work to internally balance things out. My wife happens to be a photographer of the past 18 or so years. A professional. I often ask her about things like this, to the point I feel she believes I am insane
For instance, the infamous "Battle over LA" photo that supposedly shows a UFO. I've asked her to seriously look at it. To look at the image as it resides in the newspaper from that time. To give me her professional opinion.

Whereas I strive to be very open minded, I do grow tired of people seeing ghosts in the form of "orbs" in photos. As well as similar situations. Use common sense. Use applicable knowledge from fields that you or those you trust who are well versed in know about.

Thank you

-NF

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CitizenNum287119327

The shadows show that the sun is slightly behind the camera and to the upper left and the angle of the sun is at a very shallow angle across (and very slightly behind) the field of view.

If you look at the distortion of the picture it becomes apparent that the left hand side has been cropped, leaving the center of the original image somewhere about a third of the way from the left of this photo. I.e: the camera was actually pointing to the left of where you might guess it is pointing, from a cursory glance.

I would guess that the curvature of the lens is such that a small portion of it sticks out beyond the lens shroud, into the sun. This is why the flare is not that bright in regard to the 'rim' or line portion.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Definitely lens flare.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

So its not a prismatic transparent ufo??

Booo

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

badminton...

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Shuttlecock

a reply to: rockpaperhammock

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

haha ya thats what i meant...i remember hearing the terminology when i was in gradschool and us laughing so loud about it...but yes thats what it looks like

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Super sized rubber with a reservoir tip. Looks like it's not a skin thin variant, gotta keep those big scuds from prematurely launching their payload.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asynchrony

Oh man, I can't recall what the name of that friggin' game is called! It's a game piece, it's gotta be a game piece.

Sorry.

:-)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouNeedMe
Mods: Not sure if this is right forum, feel free to move.

What is this object in photo of Russia Military S500 article? Glare? Looks interesting so thought we could share.

Original photo

It's a flare from a small chip in the lens. I would guess the back glass element, since you rarely see chips or scratches affect the image when they are on the front element.

new topics

top topics

join