It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great news. Republicans look at eliminating filibuster for SCOTUS nominees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I was expecting some action out of the new Congress, but I really never saw this one coming. A group of Republican Senators led by Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) and Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) are floating the idea of further extending the nuclear option enacted by the Democrats to take filibusters off the table when considering nominees to the Supreme Court. Clearly wiser heads than myself have been able to determine why this is such a great idea, because I’m not seeing it at the moment.

Source

Don't see how this is a 'great' idea either.

Before you start blasting the Republicans.

The Senate move would expand on changes that Democrats made using the ‘nuclear option.’

I suppose that the analysis from the authors has some merit when they interpret this as a sign of growing GOP confidence in its electoral prospects, but holy moley… that’s a lot of confidence.

Source Deux

Top Senate Republicans are considering gutting the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees — a move that could yield big rewards for whichever party controls the White House and Senate after 2016.

The move, still in its early stages, reflects growing GOP confidence in its electoral prospects next year. But it could also have a major immediate impact if a justice such as 81-year-old Ruth Bader Ginsburg steps down, making it far easier for President Barack Obama to get a replacement confirmed.

This is why the Democrats will go along since they have 2016 clinched.

The proposed change would expand on the dramatic move Democrats made in 2013, when they killed the 60-vote hurdle for executive branch nominations and almost all judicial nominees. Republicans have complained bitterly about the Democrats’ action ever since, saying it violated the Senate’s tradition of being a deliberative body where the minority holds big sway. But now, GOP supporters contend, it may be time to bring majority rule to votes on Supreme Court nominations, too.

Complained bitterly eh?

Turn around, and do the same thing the Democrats did.

Back to the first article:

I suppose that the analysis from the authors has some merit when they interpret this as a sign of growing GOP confidence in its electoral prospects, but holy moley… that’s a lot of confidence.

Indeed OVER confidence, and considering the people throwing their hats in the ring so far.

The Republicans will probably be in for a rude awakening.

Bottom line folks ?

Party politics over riding common sense.

The Senate rules need to be changed back to where they were before the Democrat helping of stupid.

Now the Republican's want to pile on more stupid.

Every single one of those shills on capitol hill need to be FIRED.

I think they both need to watch 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington'.
edit on 25-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

join