It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLIZZARD! Jan 25-27, 2015 N.E./Mid Atlantic USA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Here we go ...

From Philadelphia up to Portland Maine, and areas inland.
Sunday night through Tuesday night.
One to two feet of snow ... and more in some areas.

NYC is expecting two feet of snow.
That'll be a mess.

I have my blizzard shopping done. Got supplies in. Boosted the heat up in the house so if the power goes out hopefully the pipes won't bust.

Talked to my 80 year old mother in Connecticut this morning. Woke her up and told her to get herself to the grocery store while everyone else was at church. Get herself a week or two worth of groceries and to turn up the heat, get the lanterns ready ... that kind of thing.

I think we are set. Let's see if the weather folks got this one right or not. They don't have the best track record ...

Good luck everyone!

Oh .. and they say it's going to be powder, which will make the ski slopes happy but the kids can't make snowmen with it, so they won't have anything to do while school is out.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yeah, it's gonna hit us really hard this time. I'm in NJ and I'll be on the road going to work around 04:00 tomorrow. Wish me luck

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Judging from that map, it'll pass Buffalo by a few hundred miles. Phew!

Good luck every one! Hope you're not stuck in a city, like NY!

link   

Sounds like you've got everything ready... Stay warm and let us know how it's going.

Good luck to everyone!

link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Boosted the heat up in the house so if the power goes out hopefully the pipes won't bust.

You don't have to waste gas or electric to turn up the heat to warm the pipes. You just need to let the water slowly trickle out of the faucets. Constantly moving water will keep the pipes from freezing.

We're getting that snow today, but only 1-3 inches. Good luck with that snow storm!

ETA> The Blizzard Watch says that the temps will be in the 20's during the event, so the chances of pipes freezing is low.

edit on 25-1-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
They are calling it the "winter whallop" here in Nova Scotia. Rightly so,as I have a green lawn right now,with just a few ice patches,and by Wednesday I'll be buried under 40 cm of snow before the drifts are taken into account. Well stocked up with food,water,wood,so we will be ok. Stay off the roads people.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Send a foot to indiana!
A nice day or two at home with the family sitting in front of the fireplace sounds nice.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
They are calling it the "winter whallop" here in Nova Scotia.

When they give a name to this things is a bad sign. Like "Thundersnow" or "Polar Vortex".

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

We picked up about 25cm overnight and probably expect a good foot and a half on Monday/Tuesday.

...yay...

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

We picked up about 25cm overnight and probably expect a good foot and a half on Monday/Tuesday.

...yay...

~Tenth

Does Canadian snow fall in metric measurements and American snow fall in .........
Never mind.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I was trying to make it easy for the Amuricans

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Send a foot to indiana!
A nice day or two at home with the family sitting in front of the fireplace sounds nice.

Michigan agrees with the notion, send a little our way, too! Too much green poking through the melting snow here.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan Lower temperatures reduce entropy. Entropy caused by Brownian motion of electrons to be precise. Increasing the Brownian motion of electrons within a given fluid medium will cause a decrease of electron ordering observed with in crystal formations inside the given fluid containing medium. Direct contact with an inductive heating element to the fluid containing medium will provide the desired randomness of water molecules within the fluid containing body.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Powder is both good and bad news for you then.

Powder means less power lines down, but it will also mean worse visibility and travel conditions.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

You don't have to waste gas or electric to turn up the heat to warm the pipes. You just need to let the water slowly trickle out of the faucets. Constantly moving water will keep the pipes from freezing.

Oh I wish that was always true.. When I lived in the mountains (North Carolina) it snowed everyday for weeks it seemed like. We left the water running and not even just a trickle. We even put a heater in the crawl space and had the heat on to about 75. The pipes froze, and when they finally unfroze we had water shooting in all directions in the crawl space.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm in Mass, we have a couple of inches already from a day ago, it went, snow-rain-snow, so ice pretty much. My snowblower is ready except the tires always lose air. I surfed today for 2 hours with NW blasting my face into leather, still got some good rides. I'm sure this next storm will kick the surf way up, but it suppose to be very cold, so I doubt I'll take advantage of it.

I can never understand why people bulk up at the Grocery Store for a storm, I mean at most it will be one day until you can get back there.

-Stay warm

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just inside of that circle! Can't wait to venture in the woods Monday night. Absolute bliss with the snow falling.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
When they give a name to this things is a bad sign. Like "Thundersnow" or "Polar Vortex".

Eh..Polar Vortex has been around since the 1800s from what I remember reading..
Thundersnow is just that ..snow that is accompanied by thunder.

Both are legit weather events..

Now when they start using Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon then its time to run!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What is wrong with you people? Wishing for snow.
Where are all the climate change people to say this will only get worse and head toward an ice age or something.

Actually I like to see snow fall, the thicker the better. But I'm in Britain and have only seen about half an inch all winter. Though the forecast tonight says we might get a couple of inches on Wednesday or Thursday. Here's hoping.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Trueman

Now when they start using Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon then its time to run!

Why you had to give more options???...., I'll be in the middle of this one, so thank you !

Hope a sharknado in your area !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join