It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

None F22/35 stealth

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Hi Guys and Girls,

I started think about stealth aircraft the other day and the replacement's for the US (teen) and Russian (Mig29/SU27) type's.
For most NATO countries the only option is the F35, the Russians are busy with the (PAKFA) so that leaves some very advanced country's that haven't yet decided on a platform or are seriously considering a new build.

The list below isn't ordered in anyway:

Turkey:
Turkey is buying the F35 but also has a indigenous project in early design stages to "make up for short comings of the F35"

Linkage:
en.wikipedia.org...
www.militaryfactory.com...

The bottom source mentions the possible ability to communicate with drones via protected data link that is interesting and something that I've heard in certain circles about other projects and existing platforms

South Korea
Although South Korea's place on this list is a little odd as it's currently not yet funded that will more than likley change early is 2015.

Linkage:
www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

Japan,
Japan seems to be a little upset about the whole F22J issue, so although Japan will buy the F35 they like Turkey seem to wish for more

"The ATD-X will be used as a technology demonstrator and research prototype to determine whether domestic advanced technologies for a sixth generation fighter aircraft are viable. The aircraft also features 3D thrust vectoring capability. Thrust is controlled in the ATD-X by the use of 3 paddles on each engine nozzle similar to the system used on the Rockwell X-31, while an axis-symmetric thrust vectoring engine is also being developed for the full scale production model. The nozzles on the prototype appear to be uncovered and might have a slight
adverse effect on the aircraft's stealth characteristics.

"Among the features the ATD-X is to have is a fly-by-optics flight control system, which by substituting optical fibers for wires, allows data to be transferred faster and with immunity to electromagnetic disturbance"

Linkage:
en.wikipedia.org...
www.flightglobal.com...

India
A joint Russian-India project to build a heavy stealth fighter, I'd think this is being watched closly.

"Quoting FGFA project director Andrev Marshankin, the Sputnik news agency had reported agreement between Indian and Russian officials on the specifications of the 30-tonne fighter, which is based on the Sukhoi T-50 PAK-FA. Enduring Indian reservations over the FGFA programme include those over the fighter's AL-41F1 engine and its stealth and weapon-carrying capability."

Linkage:
www.janes.com...
archive.defensenews.com...

Pakistan,
OK not a indigenous project but Pakistan buying from China, may upset the Russians and the Indians.

Linkage:
defensetech.org...

China:
China's has two major projects underway the J20 / J31, in my mind this seems to me like the USA F16/F15 team. The J20 representing the multirole reasonably cheap done most roles versus the J31 being the F15 initially rolled for air supremacy with the option for growth.

Linkage:
www.airforce-technology.com...
www.airforce-technology.com...

My comments:

My main question is a little blue sky as we will not see the fruits if any of any of the projects above for at least twenty years. (hopefully by then I'll be drink rum on a beach) Do we think that any of the above will provide any serious surprises.

For the most part all stealth to date have been single seat (although having a Intel/RIO onboard could be very handy. Engines we yes one or two but could we maybe see and ramjet/hybrid ramjet aka SR72. The wing seems to have settled on trapezoid, maybe canards will make a return although at certain parts of the flight profile they scream shoot me.

The sensor fusion on the F35, I personally think makes it very interesting and may allow a mini awacs type of role a few F35 running ahead then passing back targeting information via Link16 to its friend's that are just outside of the range of the enemy missile range. (but within the range of the Amraams/Meteors)

Also as the development timeline of new aircraft new seems to be about 20 years, the USA's interest in 6th gen seems like a reasonable idea in that by the new the rest catch up the US will be in the middle of a new role out.

However the UK/France and maybe a number of other will not have the money for 6th gen manned(assuming it is or optionally managed) I personally see F35 or late gen Typhoon's being teamed with UCAV's.

Just some food for thought,

RAB

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Just remember that you are only stating from information that is publicly available.

What each of those countries has in their black projects is anyone's guess. Not so much for the smaller countries but when it comes to the likes of USA / Russia and china, anything is possible.

You will only see what they want you to see. Consider how long the US had the F117 before it became public.

P

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RAB

Canards can be very useful if combined with thrust vectoring at sub sonic speeds, otherwise pilot goes pudding...

Having said that....the f-22 is the end of human flight projects for the US....humans cant even survive its abilities if pushed to the extreme.

UCAVS are the future...provided they can ensure a secure data connection, otherwise they have to incorporate a inhouse AI to run it without a data connection.

Can't have another top line UCAV being hacked down...especially enmass like the Iranian incident.

Just my thoughts....

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I believe Zaph stated on a thread that NG was about to begin work on a sixth-gen fighter. Assuming a political change in the White House in 2016, there's a good chance that a reasonable program would be looked at favorably.

Still, I wouldn't sweat it. Russia seems bogged down on the PAK which has India in a bad mood. Chinese engines are terrible...so far, and Japan has political constraints. Turkey? Who cares? S. Korea may see U.S. backing against the North as waning in the future but already are far advanced over their northern 'brothers'.

Above all, economics is the key factor these days. Russia is in deep Kim Chee these days. I'm betting the PAK never gets fully developed and ends up a 'turkey'.

China is the biggest winner in this surplus of oil and of all of them are the ones with the 'potential' to surprise.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

first Flight July 1982, first official acknowledgement November 1988 - but it had been an open secret since soon after its first flight - it didn't need pictures or acknowledgement for the fact of its existence to be widely known - even if incorrectly as the F-19.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My primary interest in the F-35 is my brainier cousins. An Unmanned Joint Strike Fighter?

The 9 million lines of code mentioned in this article is just for maneuvering the control surfaces. It is also a 2 year article with only sanitized data in it. The computers on board the most advanced units will be nearly sentient within the life cycle of the flight platform. Autonomous Intelligence Robotic Force will be the meaning of AIR Force in the near future.

top topics

join