It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The home PC just got smaller

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I just saw this article about this new device and think it might have a thing going and would like to share it here at ATS

Called "Mouse-Box", a wireless gadget that packs a 1.4 GHz quad-core ARM processor, a micro-HDMI port, WiFi up to 802.11n, accelerometer, gyroscope, two USB 3.0 ports and 128 GB storage space into a mouse. The only extra hardware needed is a monitor.
thehackernews.com...
mouse-box.com...

Mouse-Box comes with built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, and charges wirelessly using an inductive charging mat that doubles up as a mouse pad. This means the device would never run out of battery. However, the hardware also includes space for an optional battery. The device could theoretically be loaded up with any operating system of your choice.

I want one hopefully they will get the funding to get this to market

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Shut up and take my money! I want one!!

Seems like a pretty impressive piece of hardware for that size..

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

With cloud computing taking of this little device could be big having a 128 gig is no hold back my first pc had 1 gig of ram back in the day .

why have they not gone for funding to the net

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
In theory it sounds like a good idea, but it really depends on where they are at price wise. The cost will make or break this idea.

It's a great little space saver idea, but I can save a lot more space for the same functionality with a decent tablet. If I can do that at a lower cost then it's a no brainer.

It's got cool factor, but I feel it falls in an unneeded, small niche, category kinda like the iPad Mini and such.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

With cloud computing taking of this little device could be big having a 128 gig is no hold back my first pc had 1 gig of ram back in the day .

why have they not gone for funding to the net

Your first PC had 1 gig of RAM? Or did you mean a 1 gig HDD.. How old are you? lol.
My first PC had 8MB of RAM.

I'm kind of old school though.. Give me a giant case to put all my goodies into..

Looks pretty cool.
edit on 24-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Good catch i did mean 1 gig of h/d , i did have a Armstrad green screen monster that used tapes before that but that was in the 80s and it might not even be a real computer by todays standards.

ps i am really really old

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

in the 80s and it might not even be a real computer

I still have my old MSX and Qbasic was my second language as a kid....lol.

Believe me, it was as real as a computer could be!!!

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hmmm, honestly it's pretty cool. I like it a lot. But I think it would be amazing if it had at least a 500 GB HD and a nice graphics card, though I can imagine space would be an issue if you included a graphics card.

Great idea, very inventive. I can't wait to see what else they can do with it. S + F

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I wish i had held onto it when the original apple computers were going for $ 500.000 lately , it used to take 45 minutes to load a Apache helicopter game on it .

those were the days

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Now that's a cool idea. I agree that the end price of a unit is going to be the make-or-break threshold for whether it does well or dies off, however.

originally posted by: KnightLight

Your first PC had 1 gig of RAM? Or did you mean a 1 gig HDD.. How old are you? lol.
My first PC had 8MB of RAM.

Man, I got you beat. My first had a whopping 128MB of RAM. Lightning fast for the late 90's, rotfl. I remember that one had a 10GB HDD, too, I thought I was swimming in oodles of storage space

edit on 1/24/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

**I should clarify that this was my first personal computer, not the family computer. I really thought I was on top of the world, all other teens I knew didn't have their own yet.

Edit: Sort of OT, but keeping with the nostalgia. Anyone remember GEnie? My first ventures into the wide open web were through GEnie. Wow, have times changed.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
My daughter does some of this group funding stuff. She invests about twenty to fifty bucks on the projects, just enough to get some pretty interesting products when they initially come out. Not many of the things she did this with made it big, but it isn't an expensive venture and it gives her something to do. She is leery of scammers so checks out things very well. She doesn't mind loosing a little money investing in someone's dream but hates being tricked out of her money by tricksters.

Most of the strange products she showed us are definitely unique and original. These are not really an investment, but a voyage into the unknown with a business partner. She gets updates on how things go and one of the product when it gets produced along with a prototype verification and they want input as to possible improvements. She will also get a finalized product when they get the bugs out. The return value is about a quarter of the investment, but it is still something relatively inexpensive to do. If you go out drinking, fifty bucks goes down the toilet and you wind up paying for a hangover. When you go to a fancy restaurant, the restaurant overhead and profit get sixty percent or more of what you spend there. So doing something small like this is just a hobby, as long as you don't get on some sort of list and everyone starts hounding you.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

My first computer was a used system 32 with a one megabyte hard drive and I think 16 bits of ram. My next one was a brand new commodore 128 which did not have a harddrive. It was soooo much better than the commodore 64. Then I went up to a pentium 120 with 256k of ram and a 500 megabyte harddrive. I held back on the new P150 processor, it saved about three hundred bucks.

That P120 was so fast compared to my new Dell, it seems that we went backwards. All the complex programs and spyware rob the power.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
The device could theoretically be loaded up with any operating system of your choice.

Any operating system except full Windows. Windows RT is not full Windows, and is slowly circling the drain.

The MeegoPad and similarly the Intel Compute Stick are far more powerful and can run full Windows 8.1, right from a stick smaller than the mouse-box.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Thanks for that link boneZ i did not even know they existed i want one of each now

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There are countless variants to the tiny PC, some of the ones listed above are awesome. Also there is the Mint box which is about the size of a chicken pot pie box, but shorter and is a full PC. Then, of course, there is the Raspberry Pi - the original mini computer.

ETA: Mint box mini

edit on 1/24/15 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Oh, and my first computer had no RAM nor ROM and ran off of cassette tapes.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

i just looked up my first one en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Mine was a Trash 80

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

It would of needed some ram at least to store the program and any changes and some rom unless you had a plug board etc to load the program

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Pricey thing crazy what was spent on electronics back in the 70 s , our first colour tv was over $ 1000 and had 4 wooden legs and doors that closed

The armstrad cost me $ 4-5 hundred back then

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join