It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need HELP with my 2007 Nissan Xterra???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Everytime i get up to about 55mph and let go of the gas i hear a clicking noise under the truck any one have any ideas??

Also i had rotors grinded should i just replace them??

Thanks in advance!!!
edit on 24-1-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

Check the U joints on the drive shaft and see if they are worn.

Just get under grab the driveshaft and try to move it around.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If thats the issue is it an easy fix and is it expensive?? a reply to: Grimpachi

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I know this sounds kinda stupid, but check for a rock or nail stuck in one of the tires. Some times its that simple.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

U joints are cheap. I have replaced my own on several vehicles you just need the right size socket a hammer and some wrenches to take off the couplings.

I have no idea how much a shop would charge.
edit on 24-1-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
U joints sounds very possible. If you go from drive to reverse you should get a 'clunk'. Easy fix actually...any backyard monkey can do it.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Nowadays if the rotors aren't smooth when you replace the brake pads you just get new ones. Nobody turns rotors anymore unless it's special equipment.

If you don't replace them and they have deep grooves you will get grabbing and likely wobbling. You can break the rotor and get brake failure if really bad. You certainly will get your pads wearing down fast.
edit on 24-1-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Have you had the wheels of recently? Maybe check your lug nuts/wheel nuts- they can make a surprisingly loud noise if one is loose. Could be an axle problem also. Hopefully it's a quick, simple fix whatever the problem.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Same scenario here, "2006 Nissan Xterra. Developed a ticking at low speeds on the front end. 75xxx miles. Possibly a bad U-joint."

edit on 24-1-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Sounds like a bad u joint in the drivetrain. You have them at all drivetrain connections that bend.
If you have 4wd, you have a bunch more(6), a second driveshaft to the front axle, and one on each end of the axle, so you can turn. They are common wear items in the axle. If you grab each end of any joint, the two pieces should have zero play or loosness through the joint. When your car starts clicking in tight turns your axle ujoints are failing.

Also check wheel bearing condition, by putting up on jack stands, car in neutral, flat ground and spin wheel, it should be smooth spinning with no grittyness. The wheel should spin easily by hand but not completely free when the nut is not under or over tightened.

Ujoints are not super easy if you dont know what your doing. They are pressed in. Check out google vids first.
What you prob wont see in vid, is that you can aid this press/interference fit by heating the driveshaft w a torch, then install new ones using a c clamp w a socket the size of the bearings cap. Also store the new joint in the freezer 24-48 hrs before install, it makes them shrink enough to slide in combined w the other part heated, so your not beating up the joint and having it fail again.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
You guys are the best thanks i thought it was a tranny issue ill have to now find a backyard mechanic to fix it!!!

You guys all get starss thanks...

new topics

top topics

join