It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students accused of racism after chanting "USA"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Any chance we can now get your thoughts on your thread or wad this just a hit and run and you hoped to get your stars and flags?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
What type of American high school students do you think would take offense to hearing chants of "USA USA USA!"?

The kind that are being publicly accused of being un-American simply because of their skin color.

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
nationalism is the last refuge of the scoundrel
Nationalism teaches you to hate people you've never met

I'll take that one step further and say nationalism teaches you to hate your own species based on arbitrary, meaningless differences like skin color. The same could be said for family or religion.

I suppose that makes this whole conversation moot for me, though. I don't consider myself an American, I just happen to live on a slave farm that calls itself America. I see no borders on our planet and only one species of human inhabiting it. I do not recognize divisions such as family, religion, nationalism or any other arbitrary classification that seeks to divide us as a species.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP
Uhm, but... that WAS racist... they were pretty much telling the Hispanic-Americans they're not Americans. Which is dumb.

And racist.

I could see that if it was in that context.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

But it is...

How do you not see it in that context?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP
Uhm, but... that WAS racist... they were pretty much telling the Hispanic-Americans they're not Americans. Which is dumb.

And racist.

Ironic.

The "USA" is doing more for Hispanics than most Hispanic countries.

Maybe the "USA" chanting should be coming from the other side of the bleachers.

The "USA" government bends over backwards to accommodate immigrants.

The irony is stunning.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

I guess the next Olympic Games are going to be pretty quiet if people can no longer cheer for a country. In fact the whole concept of nation vs nation competition is now "racist". Is 'American' even a race?

riiiight....because that's what this was...nation against nation (rolls eyes)... I guess 2 high schools in Texas are now nations onto themselves.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Is the implication here that the other side was immigrants?

Kinda the whole point if it is...

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Any chance we can now get your thoughts on your thread or wad this just a hit and run and you hoped to get your stars and flags?

Sure; my thoughts are this.
First off- I have no idea what the stars or flags do, and I don't think I care. I mean, I might- they might be useful to me in ways I do not understand.
I was just sharing some more nonsense that I thought belonged here.

but since you insist...
I hate everyone at that school- the kids, the staff, even the parents.
I hate their local government, I hate their state government, I hate the federal government, and I find this whole situation to be a laughable undertone of BS that is the society we live in.

Most of all, though, I hate anyone who thinks that it's okay to censor speech. Racism is stupid- but telling someone what is and is not okay to say on the lame ass excuse of "that's racist" is just a blanket infringement of my freedom of speech.

I'm very, very tired of having my freedoms stepped on- and I find that at least nine out of ten "news" stories that I see are completely ignoring all sense of freedom, and bickering semantics. It's like watching tv- everyone just want's a dramatic climax to put in a commercial break.

In the words of Patton Oswalt,
"I hate"

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

This is NOT an example of freedoms being stepped on.

Freedom of speech does not allow you to say what ever you want with no recourse.
It only protects us from the gov making a law that prohibits it!

We can dance around this all we want but there is only one reason to cheer USA at a game in the united states, and that is to insinuate that the other team is not a united states team.

This was hateful in spirit and the school is asking their students to not do that.
OH THE HUMANITY!

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Chanting USA is now equivalent to yelling fire in a crowded theater?
Amazing the lengths some will go to for the sake of argument.

Labeling someone as "racist" is a far worse abuse of free speech as chanting "USA" yet nobody sees the irony in this?
Really?
Which is more damaging?
I seem to recall some guy had to sell his basketball team over alleged racist commentary.
Find me anyone injured for chanting USA.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I don't see the parallel.

Again we can dance around this all we want cause the words being used is USA, and flag waving rah rah all we want.

There was a clear point to this, if you want to ignore that cause of what they said and not look at why they said it go ahead.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The who's and why's don't matter if speech is truly free.
That means someone may be free to feel offended.
That's their right too.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

But it is...

How do you not see it in that context?

I think you misread my statement. I agreed that could be seen as racist. I said "I could see that in that context" given I don't know all the details or the situation.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
People, "Hispanic" isn't one of the 4 races of human being. They are Australoid, Mongoloid, Negroid, and Caucasoid. "Hispanic/Latino" is an ethnic group, "Mexican" is a nationality. So these students very well could be bigots, they can't be racists based on just this chant towards Hispanics.

A racist is a person who believes their particular race is superior in genetics to anyone in any of the other races.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: groingrinder
Seems to me the racism is on the part of the school district that does not consider itself part of the USA. Just sayin'.

just in case anyone missed that quote here it is again......

and can anyone tell me which one of those American teams does not consider itself American ?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Logarock

Cause if they wore mexican flag shirts on the fourth people would lose thier minds.

Your rights end where mine start and my kid has a right to safe as his school.
Those kids were trying to incite people that day by wearing those shirts and you know it.

Why would American school students be "incited" by chants of "USA! USA! USA!?"

You're bashing those poor kids, accusing them of being unpatriotic just because they're Hispanic descent.

You're presupposition that Hispanic kids would be offended by chants of "USA! USA! USA!" is about a million times more racist than the kids who were doing the chanting.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Yup, totally what I am doing.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join