It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit - Muslim Woman Sues Because She Had to Remove Her Head Scarf During Booking

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
You're right, it isn't the governments job to decide if they are practising their religion correctly, that's their Imam's job, I do believe. However if they are going to claim that they shouldn't do [ x ] because their religion requires [ y ], then they should probably make sure they are doing correctly to begin with. Otherwise they are just making a mockery of both their own religion and the legal system.
edit on 23/1/2015 by BMorris because: Stupid forum removed < and >'s

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

I don't think it's anyone's job to tell you if your head scarf is ok. That's how you end up with BS like this:

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Sremmos80

Compare it to a baseball hat. You don't get to wear one in photos for your drivers license and you certainly don't when you're arrested.

But, you can wear a colander.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – A Utah woman says she encountered only brief resistance when she recently had her driver’s license photo taken while wearing a colander on her head as a religious statement. Asia Lemmon, whose legal name appears on her driver’s license as Jessica Steinhauser, said the pasta strainer represents her beliefs in the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The Flying Spaghetti Monster movement, also known as “Pastafarianism,” started in 2005 as a protest against teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in Kansas schools.

sacramento.cbslocal.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DMFL1133

Ahhhhh, but you can't just announce you created a religion. Religions have to be legally recognized.

Just so happens. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is an official religion.

Pastafarian: www.venganza.org...
edit on 23-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
As Native Americans we have heard the phrase "assimilate" in order to be seen or heard.

I say BS...you come to or land..we can do or live whoever we see fit.

Idiots who tell people who come to live in a multicultural society to change, should reconsider moving.

What they mean is change to a white society , have white values..etc.in order to be accepted.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Onslaught2996 because: the wording was wrong..used integrate rather than assimilate

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

What they mean is change to a white society , have white values..etc.in order to be accepted.

And this is even wrong...white values and beliefs differ amongst them..there are Russians, polish...etc.

What values should foreigners adapt to?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

There is a difference between assimilate and integrate.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah i got the words wrong..lol

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Fine line though: www.differencebetween.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DMFL1133

Ha! I forgot about that.

In my opinion people with long hair should have to pull it back in a ponytail and no one should be allowed to wear anything that in any way conceals facial features, including ears, hair etc.

Certainly concede that's a great point and I'm probably wrong regarding the law, still, I don't think it's too much to ask that people who are booked have a uniform standard for photos.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
she shouldn't have been driving without a license but it is required for Muslim women and christian women too btw, to keep their head covered to the point that one hair should not be sticking out. Only men in her immediate family can see her without the veil. its a messy subject, but forcefully removing the hijab of any Muslim women is a severe violation of Muslim women's rights.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Fine line though: www.differencebetween.com...

I don't know..one wants you to destroy everything about you, culture, religion and self worth and become a part of the collective.

The other wants you to just become a part of society but to not forget what your culture means ..etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

yes as long as the country is not impeding on a person's right. If oppression has occurred then its everybody not just Muslims but all of mankind to stand up for injustice whether big or small.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This woman may have broken her faith by driving illegally.

Now what?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DuecesxGeneral
but it is required for Muslim women and christian women too btw, to keep their head covered to the point that one hair should not be sticking out.

No it is not actually.... a lot of muslim women do not wear a head covering.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

If the law says that all head coverings must be removed (men & hats), then head and hair coverings should be removed. Just as sunglasses are removed for mug shots. This is nothing against a religion, it is the law when taking/getting a mug shot.

A persons looks can change dramatically when they let their hair down.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
The tenet to cover the hair is in the Quran...

& I'm starting to wonder if it was necessary...

What's in the Quran has zero relevance while she's being arrested and booked.

Nobody has "freedom" while they're being arrested.

Common sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus I agree with your whole statement. If you move to America then you have to abide by our laws. Quit crying about religious exceptions to the law. Religion and law are two different things. IMHO.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
If her face isn't covered, why should she have to remove her headscarf? Unless it's a full strip search.

I am adament on covered faces. I will never support that, religion or otherwise.

But, it doesn't say her face was covered. Does it?

When people get a mug-shot taken, they are supposed to be without anything covering their face or head which includes scarfs & hats... even glasses in some cases! The same as when you get your passport photo taken.

Why should this woman not have to abide by what everyone else has to?
edit on CSTSat, 24 Jan 2015 06:15:00 -0600u3106x000x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

1st Amendment says different actually.

"Prohibits making any law that impedes religious exercise"...

This impeded her religious exercise...

So the booking process is either an illegal law, or they know the males need to leave the room.

Common sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join