It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
3. NASA didn’t cut a live video stream from the International Space Station to hide a UFO. A minute-long video cropped from NASA’s ISS livestream, in which literally nothing happens, has been watched nearly 1 million times in the past week — apparently because the tinhats of YouTube find something suspect in it. Per the clip’s uploader, one Streetcap1, the tiny gray speck over Earth’s horizon is an alien spacecraft (not the moon, as it appears to be) and the feed cuts out because NASA is hiding something (not because these types of errors happen with some frequency). As Snopes has reported already, however, NASA’s camera equipment is notoriously glitchy, and the moon often appears odd in space. It’s also worth pointing out that ufologists have themselves declared Streetcap1’s channel a fake — several have accused him of hyping obvious non-UFOs for personal gain.
originally posted by: CardDown
This week features two UFO stories, most notably the one about "newly released Air Force Blue Book UFO documents."
What was fake on the Internet this week: Thousands of pages of new UFO documents were not just released online.
while the coverage of the Air Force’s “Project Blue Book” — a government investigation into UFOs — suggested that the files had been newly declassified and digitized, they’ve actually been online for years … and they’ve been declassified way longer than that, available for public perusal at the National Archives.
A spokesman for Fold3, an Ancestry.com subsidiary and one of several sites hosting the Blue Book files, confirmed to The Post that they’ve had the full document available online for free since 2007. It would appear that the misinformation springs from a site called the the Black Vault, which republished the files last week. As to the motives behind that site’s self-aggrandizing, well … we leave that to the conspiracy theorists among you.
originally posted by: Jack Jouett
It also calls The Black Vault and John Greenewald Jr an agent of misinformation..
(Blogger’s Note: John Greenewald has posted the following at various sites and I thought it interesting enough to post here. He gave permission and provides his perspective on the situation as it has developed over the last few days. I think John is getting some unfair bad publicity out of this and thought all along that the problem were the reporters who know nothing about UFOs, care little about UFOs and are happy to wallow in their ignorance.)
Just wanted to set the record straight. ,
First off, I never, EVER, made it appear these documents were newly declassified. The media created that, and many outlets copied each other. Many of the stories you see, I was never even interviewed for, yet I am quoted extensively.
Second, I went out of my way to say these documents have been available, even in some places online, during the course of the interviews I did do. But, I converted them to a comprehensive and user friendly database, that quite simply was a format that was not available anywhere else and this was the first time the public could get unrestricted access to them. IE: it was free, required no registration, was searchable, and you could download them all with a few clicks in PDF format.
Third, I gave credit to the investigator who compiled the 130,000 jpeg images, which he then started circulating for someone to figure out how to convert them to a better format about 8 months ago. For a couple months, no one did anything with them (but circulated a torrent file), and although I offered to help store the files on the web, I felt I wasn’t smart enough to convert them to something that was web-friendly. After about 3 months, and I noticed no one cared or was able to take the project to the next level, with the full knowledge of the one who compiled the data, I built the entire database. Converted 130,000 jpeg images (which are just about as useless as microfilm, but at least they were digitized) to a us3r friendly format.
Here was the full process
- I created the scripts to convert the 130,000 jpegs into more than 10,000 .pdfs
- I then created acrobat action scripts to OCR (text recognition) 10,000 pdfs and at the same time, created filters to pass the images through to make them more readable to the human eye then their existing format
- I then programmed the entire site in HTML 5, built the indexes broken down by decade, and uploaded the 220GB of material to my server
- I then created a massive search engine that mined the 10,000 pdfs and created a searchable index which is what you see today
The original compiler wanted no credit but to that of a nickname which is what I’ve given out and posted on my page as the top, #1, credit.
There have been a select FEW that are going around claiming quite a bit, and attacking me personally. What the media says, or reports on, is out of my control but I have done everything to the best of my ability to circulate the proper information, nothing but the facts, and give credit to where credit is due.
At the end of the day, the media and the hundreds of thousands of people a day who are now hitting the archive obviously were not aware these records were available, so even though some of the news stories became factually incorrect, who cares? Regardless of that fact we can easily set them straight on, the mass media attention, much of which is very good press, is all fantastic for this field.
Those that are beating a dead horse, are simply wasting time.
It also calls The Black Vault and John Greenewald Jr an agent of misinformation. Which is completely true.
...try to imagine the bewilderment, in extremely small hardcore circles, over the MSM clusterf*#! when the Open Minds website announced on Jan. 12 how those Blue Book files — the ones with the censored names, which have been languishing in the public domain online for nearly eight years — were now available in John Greenewald’s Black Vault database without charge...
What happened a week after Open Minds produced its piece caught Greenewald flat-footed...