It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, And It Is Not What You Think

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ensinger23
a reply to: Edumakated

If you have no experience with these things, why do you feel obligated to put your views out there at all? Are you here just to "waggle your finger" and look down your nose at those less fortunate?

Sure, some people do it because they know what will happen and don't care. Others aren't so lucky. They were either pushed into doing it and became addicted that way, or something similar. Realize that there are lots of ways for people to get hooked and "stupidity", while one of them, isn't the main factor.

On the other hand, he has experience in choosing to not be a drug addict.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Probably because they didn't need to forget that charlie was trying to kill them back home, a good lot of them went onto awesome industry jobs and became alcoholics. I wish I had the source to show you that but that stands out to me as something I was taught in seps/taps when transitioning out of the service to not make those same mistakes. Also heroin wasn't as readily available as co caine back in them days either also many of them from what I understand smoked a fair share of grass. Even without the addiction thing the 70s were a great year for the US economy even despite the gas crisis, from what I understand it was one of the best decades to live in, in the United States. I don't refute what you said either I'm just saying.

I know vietnam was in the 60s ended in 71 just using the 70s as the decade many vets returning that did not re enlist got to live as citizens and not soldiers, just to clear that up.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: s3cz0ne

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Ensinger23

I have no experience with it because I am not stupid enough to do it. I don't need to smoke rocks to know it is bad for you just like I don't need to break my leg to know it hurts.

This is a discussion board. People discuss things and people have opinions. Sometimes we disagree, sometimes we agree. I respect your opinion, but I stand by mine that people who do drugs are weak, stupid, or both. At some point, we can argue the addiction is a disease and the drugs become physically necessary as someone mentioned above. However, I again stand by my point that you have to be pretty weak or stupid to even try hard drugs the first time.

I've had friends who drink till they fall out. Smoke weed like a chimney and god knows what else. Even while I am with them partying, at no point ever in my life did I feel obligated to partake in that nonsense even while they may have called me lame for staying straight.

I've seen my share of toothless methheads and crackheads who will suck you dry in a back alley for $5.00 to know anyone who even thinks using those types of drugs could be "recreational" are weak or stupid.

You are a wise man sir... Not!!!! Wisdom come from EXPERIENCE with a given subject. You obviously lack that. I'm sure you know the saying about opinions.

You sir need to spend a bit more time "out there", it is NOWHERE near as simple as you state(or think)! Keep going on through life thinking you're the "smart one". It's called Karma.

Are you suggesting that someone who has experience not choosing to become a drug addict has no right to an opinion about the subject? It makes sense that such a person wouldn't have first-hand experience knowing what being an addict feels like, but they certainly do know what choosing to not become one feels like and how they made that decision.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: Edumakated
Sounds like you have a problem to me. Maybe you didn't use drugs, but you seem to get your "fix" by running your mouth and talking down to people. I have never met a happy person that felt the need to belittle others.

So you're not happy.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
It's kind of funny/sad so many rich people succumb to using drugs, chasing fake happiness, must be a #ty life being rich...

Yeah, especially musicians. They've got to be some of the largest drug abusers when it comes to the rich and famous. And I can understand why. They have so much pressure from their record companies to keep producing. A lot of them are in contracts so they pretty much have to do everything they're told. They lose their freedom and creativity in some cases because their companies already have their own idea of what they want their performers to do based on trends, target audiences, etc. and it leads to a sad and powerless life. You become a singing and dancing puppet basically. There's pressure from fans to keep your talent. Critics/haters will relentlessly make your life uneasy. They get dragged around the world on tours most of the year. They have to be extra careful as to what they say and do because their attitudes and actions are expected to be perfect based on their high status. It's very stressful and tiring stuff. Drugs seem to take the edge off and apparently it gets the "creative juices" flowing also.

The life of an artist isn't as glamorous as it seems. A lot of them struggle with demons deep inside of themselves just like everyone else. The only difference is they have a bright light shining down on them constantly. They can't afford to show it.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Honcho

originally posted by: Mianeye
It's kind of funny/sad so many rich people succumb to using drugs, chasing fake happiness, must be a #ty life being rich...

Yeah, especially musicians. They've got to be some of the largest drug abusers when it comes to the rich and famous. And I can understand why. They have so much pressure from their record companies to keep producing. A lot of them are in contracts so they pretty much have to do everything they're told. They lose their freedom and creativity in some cases because their companies already have their own idea of what they want their performers to do based on trends, target audiences, etc. and it leads to a sad and powerless life. You become a singing and dancing puppet basically. There's pressure from fans to keep your talent. Critics/haters will relentlessly make your life uneasy. They get dragged around the world on tours most of the year. They have to be extra careful as to what they say and do because their attitudes and actions are expected to be perfect based on their high status. It's very stressful and tiring stuff. Drugs seem to take the edge off and apparently it gets the "creative juices" flowing also.

The life of an artist isn't as glamorous as it seems. A lot of them struggle with demons deep inside of themselves just like everyone else. The only difference is they have a bright light shining down on them constantly. They can't afford to show it.

'

How is this different in degree from the pressures faced by, say, a hair dresser or a ditch digger with no health insurance and three kids to feed? The rock star decides to call it quits, breaks his contract and gets sued. The hair dresser and ditch digger decide to quit and their kids starve or get taken away from them. Do you think the hair dresser and ditch digger can afford to let their stress and unhappiness show at work?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

S+F for opening my eyes to an angle I have never thought to entertain. Off to contemplate deeper. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Of course anyone regardless of occupation has struggles. And can't really show it at work.

But famous people are put onto a pedestal for everyone to see. The difference between some guy who works at a gas station and someone who is a very famous actor is exposure.

Let me put it to you this way. Let's say you have someone who works for a grocery store. And another person who is a very famous musician. Now, let's say both of them get real heavy into drugs and start having a nervous breakdown for the people around them to see. And end up losing their job/career because of it, maybe even friends/significant others. Who do you think will scrutinized/demonized the longest and hardest?

I never said that only some people have stresses and hardships. But it's clear people such as actors or musicians deal with a higher order of it. Their life becomes an open book for all to see. At least some Joe Schmo working at a gas station is lucky enough for only a small select amount of people seeing his life crumble to pieces.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Of course anyone regardless of occupation has struggles. And can't really show it at work.

But famous people are put onto a pedestal for everyone to see. The difference between some guy who works at a gas station and someone who is a very famous actor is exposure.

Let me put it to you this way. Let's say you have someone who works for a grocery store. And another person who is a very famous musician. Now, let's say both of them get real heavy into drugs and start having a nervous breakdown for the people around them to see. And end up losing their job/career because of it, maybe even friends/significant others. Who do you think will scrutinized/demonized the longest and hardest?

I never said that only some people have stresses and hardships. But it's clear people such as actors or musicians deal with a higher order of it. Their life becomes an open book for all to see. At least some Joe Schmo working at a gas station is lucky enough for only a small select amount of people seeing his life crumble to pieces.

I don't disagree with what you are saying and I am not proclaiming to be an expert or an addict but thought I can inject something into what you are saying here because I think I know what you are putting across but just are not making it as clear as you could be so if you disagree I am sorry for interjecting.

Rockstars and hollywood people all kinds of money all kinds of exposure everyone sees them. They often don't pay for alot of their own stuff anyways through endorsements and going places..., hell people let them go gamble, eat, drink, sky dive, etc for free cause people that will pay see them doing it, its part of an advertisement. The local guy lives a mediocre life does not have millions in reserves nor a way to bounce back if they screw things up, most of the time small town mentality is where it is for them whether it is a small town or their neighborhood, it is still a smaller community for the gas station guy and he has no perks barely even living wages or a pay check. Comparing one with the other on addiction and abuse is pretty effed up though cause I would be willing to bet good coin that the rich man gets hooked for the same reasons that poor people do but backwards. consider the poorer man dont get to do alot of cool stuff for free and is not always under the public pressure he is a ghost a number in the world, the richer famous person does it because of the glamour in the end they are both the same lonely people. The poor man gets hooked cause that is their environment the rock star types appeal to the same addicts anyways, they even make drugs and alcohol popular with endorsements their influence is huge. The gas station guy is a small town junkie or the crack head from your hood. Alot of popular rap music makes it a cool prospect to sell drugs, rock bands do it too, and so do the movies. Their is pressure on all sides you can make a poor man rich, you can only make a poor man rich once cause they will die before being poor again.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

Now why the hell couldn't my teachers and parents be more straight with me like Satan?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

im not sure about the rules regarding person substance (ab)use but here's my .02. sometimes people just like the way cretin drugs feel and before they know it they are physically hooked and the need to feed the desire to use again is so strong you cant deny it and if you try you pay big time.

i personally think allot has to do with genetics. sometimes its just easier to fade into fuzzy bliss then deal with the b.s around you

im a 30 year old white male and have a good life for the most part, but i personally struggle with this allot.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Joe Schmo working at the gas station doesn't have and can't afford private physicians, psychiatrists, nutritionists, masseuse's, New Age practitioners of various types, lawyers, nannys, publicists, and the opportunity to go to the Betty Ford Clinic or any of a number of super spa dry-out facilities or island hideaways.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
How do you explain nicotine addiction? People with extremely happy lives smoke or do tobacco in some form every single day of their lives.

Same thing with alcohol addiction. There are some extremely happy people that just love the taste of good whiskey or good beer and over indulge in it.

Ive also known people personally who were happily married and loved their family and were extremely happy and loved to smoke Marijuana.

While I think you're on to something OP, I don't think it explains things as a whole.

I believe that there are certain levels of addiction regarding the "whys". I think some people look at alcohol, weed or tobacco as some kind of favorite past time or hobby.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Honcho

Let's say you have someone who works for a grocery store. And another person who is a very famous musician. Now, let's say both of them get real heavy into drugs and start having a nervous breakdown for the people around them to see. And end up losing their job/career because of it, maybe even friends/significant others. Who do you think will scrutinized/demonized the longest and hardest?

The person working the grocery store, more than likely. Just because it isn't public doesn't mean much in the mind of the person being scrutinized. If it's a small town it's likely to be much worse for the average person, because small towns are made up of a lot of folks with very long memories, and people who make even one mistake may never live it down. Whereas, the media oftentimes are very forgiving in their views-to those who make even huge mistakes.

No doubt-your average person suffers just as much, if not more, than those in the spotlight.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The biggest issue is the people who think they are not happy enough.

I'm just out of the Marine Corps and going to school. I have the car I bought while I was in and I get a decent housing allowance. I have my video games I play and fast food I eat and I couldn't ask for more. Would it be nice if I had a better car, a bigger apartment, or a faster computer? Sure. But right now I am good with what I have. I don't know why, but some people simply can't be made happy.

I think the problem lies in envy. People see what others have and they become unhappy with what they have. They see that the other person has a nicer car or a bigger TV and they get saddened that they themselves don't. Hopefully I am not just rambling on and some of this makes sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hmmm I dunno... I just kind of enjoy them... Why does one need chocolate? Why does one need fast cars? Why does one need to watch movies? Why does one need to ride horses etc etc etc... They are enjoyable things to do for some... Not for others...

Why must it be because life sucks lmao... Guess what I don't do any of the above ALL of the time, but all things I enjoy. Just look at your own lives and worry about them, or maybe you want to look at others because your life sucks and you want to escape?

BTW, Dolphins, take drugs... Guess their life just sucks? lol They are not the only ones too btw

edit on 24-1-2015 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Normal people, those never addicted to drugs (or alcohol), could never possibly understand or explain addiction. But it is certainly fun to watch them try, but really, its a sad thing when people don't understand something and resort to plain old unfounded opinions and "common sense." I don't know how anyone could use the phrase "it's common sense" when trying to explain the insanity of addiction---REALLY? It's a complete oxymoron in reasoning. And using rats to explain the behavior of humans is ABSOLUTELY ludicrous to begin with...

As a recovered drug addict with 14 years away from ANY mind altering substance, I can plainly see the normal lines of reasoning people use to judge people like me in this thread. Not that I care, believe me I have heard them all. Weak-minded, depressed, immature, etc. I can say that without a doubt that every single type of person is susceptible to addiction. Why some people become addicted and others not is an unsolved riddle. I guarantee you that happy people, sad people, poor people, rich people, strong-minded, weak-minded, talented, and the talentless are among the ranks of drugged out zombies hiding in homes and hiding behind dumpsters. Ask a recovered drug addict like myself why he became an addict and they'll likely say "I have no idea" and probably that they never believed it could happen to them.

I'd really like to see the proof that a majority of heroin addicted Viet-Nam vets came back to the US and just stopped. I call BS! There are still thousands of them in mental institutions, on the streets, and in and out of detoxes. MANY thousands more have died over the years, and many just switched from heroin to alcohol or pills. I have first hand knowledge of this FACT as I am constantly trying to help people with my problem.

Another waste of time and money trying to explain addiction---science still hasn't found a reason or a cure, but this rat study...hilarious. Easy to see people's opinion of their fellow addicted humans when a study of RATS explains it all to them in a "common sense" way and they take it as truth. I don't know whether to laugh or puke.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Star and flag OP
This is mind blowing stuff

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Finlay! they are putting it all together.
now if ONLY we can use it !
other posts on ATS are putting the parts to gather to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join