It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did Jesus Christ Look like? shaved face/ clean cut or bearded and Long haired ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The Peace of God to all that belong to the Light,
Dear Readers,

We are a privileged generation in many aspects, we have achieved certain great advances in technology and science, including great progresses in medicine and in understanding of Biology, but also we have today a better knowledge about the past of what our parents , grand parents and even Great Grand parents once had.

Jesus of Nazareth is one nice example of that knowledge we have acquired through the contributions of modern Archaeology. We know that he was actually a Historic figure, there are so many accounts of him , including reliable non biblical ones, like the writings of Historians like Flavius Josephus, Cornelius Tacitus, Gaius Suetonius Tranquillas, Plinius Secundus and the Greek Poet Lucian.

We also know that he lived part of his life in Egypt , during his childhood , even the very eldest fragment of the Gospel of St Marc was found recently in the mask of an Egyptian mummy.

Pls read: www.cnn.com...

He was not born in the first year of our era, as it was wrongly dated for centuries , but in between the 10 and 6 years before it , otherwise neither Octavio using the name Augustus, Quirinius or Herod were ruling at the time, and it is likely that his cruxifiction took place either in the 30 or 33 year of it. His legal name was probably Jeshua bar Joseph.

Please read:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

About how he looked like there is more information of what normally some circles accept, especially if we don't depend exclusively in what the canonical gospels say of him, but we go into other sources that are also Historical.

The thread is created precisely to show that the image of Christ many churches portrait in America is far to be accurate and definitively not based in any aspect in the truly Christian tradition, but more in conservative stereotypes of what must be socially accepted according with standards that as a matter of fact were created after the American Independence war.

Thanks, and welcome to this thread.

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 1/23/2015 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

How did Jesus Christ Look like? Is the Clean Cut style as Christian as Conservatives claim?

What Christian conservatives claim a 'clean cut style' ??

Pretty sure that most Christians know he probably had longish hair and a beard; was poor with no roof over his head so he slept in a garden; was of meager means so didn't have fancy clothing; was of middle east heritage (via Mary) so most likely had dark brown hair with brown eyes and most likely mediterranean skin.

So what conservatives claim 'clean cut style'?
What do you mean by clean cut style??

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

So what conservatives claim 'clean cut style'? What do you mean by clean cut style??

Basically not a long haired, dirty hippy.
edit on 1/23/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I see him more without the beard then with .

But ya he always has the long hair.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Even the earliest depictions of Christ show him younger with no facial hair. He has been aged and bearded over the years to make him seem wiser in his depictions.

Fact of the matter is that nobody knows what he looked like.

But like I said, the earliest depictions of him are a far cry from what you see today.

The wiki on it pretty much tells the whole story:

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: The angel of light
The thread is created precisely to show that the image of Christ many churches portrait in America is far to be accurate and definitively not based in any aspect in the truly Christian tradition, but more in conservative stereotypes of what must be socially accepted according with standards that as a matter of fact were created after the American Independence war.

So you created a thread critiquing what other people think Jesus might have looked like and your support for your argument is that you have no idea what he looked like either?

But "Christian Conservatives" may be wrong?

Why is this important to you?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

Well Dear ReadParrotHead,

I don't want to disappoint you, but please be aware that anybody has taught you that Jesus was a shaved face and clean cut guy it does not know what is talking about , in the best of the possibilities , or is trying to make fool of you in the worst.

At the time of Christ the only people using relatively short hair style were the primarily the Romans, who also invented the shaving of beard in the western civilization.

Have you ever seen a clean cut guy signing the constitution or the declaration of Independence in any painting of the XVIII century? that gives you an idea of how American or Christian is that style by the way?

Now , one of the strongest historic objects that support that Jesus was a long haired guy that used a pony tail hair style is precisely his burial cloth, the Shroud of Turin, an object that has resisted all the checking of the most sophisticate technology to try to explain how the image that is on it was printed.

Please read:

www.indefenseofthecross.com...

Thanks for your comment,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think 'cleanliness is more a reference to washing than beards or no beards. How did they "shave" back then?

ETA:Roman shaving tools

So how did men shave back then?
edit on 23-1-2015 by intrptr because: link (s)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: The angel of light

I can't seem to recall where I read the description of Jesus from the earliest source... I thought it was Josephus, but I can't seem to find it...

Anyways from what I remember it said "Jesus was not an attractive man, very normal (comely was the word used) but he did have long hair because being a Nazarene it was their tradition I guess... and he had greyish eyes

that's all I remember...

Oh.. and they didn't have flat irons back then.... so the beautiful flowing dirty blond hair is nothing short of ridiculous

edit on 23-1-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well Dear Sremmos80,

The eldest depiction of Jesus known in our times is the icon of the Christ Pantocrator of the monastery of St Catherine in the Mount Sinai, a place of spiritual retirement int he middle of the dessert of that peninsula that is equally venerated by Coptics, Orthodox, Armenians and Roman Catholics.

pls check: en.wikipedia.org...

The portrait that was painted using the technique of Encaustic on panel, show a bearded man possibly in his thirties with long hair that is in the back in pony tail style.

Pls check: en.wikipedia.org...

The hair in that portrait look like brunet, and the skin is olive tone. The face has some asymmetries and match a lot with the face of the man of the Shroud of turin. This can be explained for the fact that the Shroud was known before the XIII century as the Mandylion of Edessa that was exposed to the public in a Church in Constantinople, today Istambul, during the Bizantine empire.

Pls read: en.wikipedia.org...

Practically All the Bizantine Iconography of Christ and so the modern Orthodox , coptic and eastern Catholic one of Christ is based on these two portraits of Jesus.

The fact that the Portrait of Mount Sinai is dated on the VII century is interesting since it is used to help to the dating of the Shroud of Turin, that we all know is an object that due to alterations of its carbon radiactive profile due to at least three fires to which it was exposed in History can't be dated using carbon methods.

Thanks for your comment,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Jesus was obviously a white dude, for Megyn Kelly tells me so....

The irony of so many white Americans living their lives for a dark skinned Palestinian while demonizing anyone from the region with dark skin, is pretty tragic tbh....

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

My response was to the question "What do conservatives consider clean-cut style?" I guess the whole point of the question FlyersFan asked had something to do with conservatives being clean-cut while they worship a guy who wasn't clean-cut by today's conservative standards.

Thanks for the link but I'm convinced the Shroud of Turin is a hoax, not challenging any opinion you have, just stating mine.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Well Dear Akragon,

There is indeed a very ancient writing description of the face of Christ and other interesting details of his physical appearance, but it was by Publius Lentullus. Interestingly this is not a biblical account, but an external source civil that proves his historicity.

it is as follows:

"There appeared in these our days a man, of the Jewish Nation, of great virtue, named Yeshua [Jesus], who is yet living among us, and of the Gentiles is accepted for a Prophet of truth, but His own disciples call Him the Son of God- He raiseth the dead and cureth all manner of diseases. A man of stature somewhat tall, and comely, with very reverent countenance, such as the beholders may both love and fear, his hair of (the colour of) the chestnut, full ripe, plain to His ears, whence downwards it is more orient and curling and wavering about His shoulders. In the midst of His head is a seam or partition in His hair, after the manner of the Nazarenes. His forehead plain and very delicate; His face without spot or wrinkle, beautified with a lovely red; His nose and mouth so formed as nothing can be reprehended; His beard thickish, in colour like His hair, not very long, but forked; His look innocent and mature; His eyes grey, clear, and quick- In reproving hypocrisy He is terrible; in admonishing, courteous and fair spoken; pleasant in conversation, mixed with gravity. It cannot be remembered that any have seen Him Laugh, but many have seen Him Weep. In proportion of body, most excellent; His hands and arms delicate to behold. In speaking, very temperate, modest, and wise. A man, for His singular beauty, surpassing the children of men"

please read:

www.thenazareneway.com...

The traditions of middle east use to portrait Jesus with reddish brown or Auburn hair color.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Actually that is a known fraud... The one I read was authentic, but still from a good hundred years or more later... I'll keep looking around, hopefully I can find it for you

most of the descriptions on that page are fraudulent... at least the one describing him as beautiful

Early in the churches history there was many attempts to make Jesus out to be beautiful... Likely why the depiction we have in churches look as they do... but Jesus was a normal looking man from what I read

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

And are those people real Christians? No. Jesus spoke of love, I doubt he'd want Christians to hate on any "dark skinned" person.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

There are written descriptions of Jesus by his contemporaries:

Physical Descriptions of Jesus The Oldest Views and Literary Data on the External Appearance of Jesus the Nazarene

The earliest Christians followed their Hebrew traditions and did not approve of iconography, thus explaining the lack of early portraits of Jesus, also a Jew of course. Hence, what we have are the written descriptions, including one from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius. From the source above:

The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar

This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.

TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:

A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.

Later, I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with Him at the Praetorium. He came. When the Nazarene made His appearance I was having my morning walk and as I faced Him my feet seemed fastened with an iron hand to the marble pavement and I trembled in every limb as a guilty culprit, though he was calm. For some time I stood admiring this extraordinary Man. There was nothing in Him that was repelling, nor in His character, yet I felt awed in His presence. I told Him that there was a magnetic simplicity about Him and His personality that elevated Him far above the philosophers and teachers of His day.

Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God.

Your most obedient servant,
Pontius Pilate

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Just like the one above me....

Pilate would not have considered him "the son of God"... he would have been executed for sedition

And there no legit record of him ever writing to Caesar about Jesus

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

Well Dear RedParrotHead,

The claim that the Shroud is a hoax is not seriously stated, it is based on sources that are not more reliable than the Davinci code novel, as well as an attempt to carbon dating of an object that in 3 opportunities was in risk to burn, in fact it was partially destroyed by flames.

www.indefenseofthecross.com...

Now, If you don't want to give credit to the shroud of Turin, there are at least two other extremely old Historic objects that also give a lot of information of the Aspect of Christ.

The Veil of Veronica at Manopello and the Holy Sudarium of Oviedo.

The Veil of Veronica is refers to an account that is on one of the minor gospels, the non canonical accounts of the life of Jesus and also to traditions of the middle east. It is said that a woman called Veronica tried to dry the blood of the face of Christ, when he was on his way to Calvary with that cloth, and its face became stamped on it.

Please check: www.youtube.com...

The veil of Manopello is after the Shroud the most likely candidate to be the Edessa Mandylion.

The Sudarium of Oviedo also has human blood , as the Shroud , although not image but traces of the blood reveal that it was a long mane once in contact with it and both, the Shroud and the Sudarium, match the AB blood type.

Please read. www.shroud.com...

All three objects match in the sense that he was long haired, used pony tail and had beard.

Thanks for your comments.

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Seeing as there's not a single element of Christianity that is consistent throughout the 45,000+ Christian denominations, the only thing that is needed to be a christian is to call yourself a christian.

But whenever any other group dares to pipe up the 'X % of the population is Christian' line is dropped...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Funny how no one ever asks the average Christian how they feel about other religions, they just rely on what the televangelists and the isolated delusional people on the internet have to say. It's like trying to find out what all Muslims are like, and only looking at videos of ISIS.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join