It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Future Drug Makes 8 Hours Seem Like 1000 Years!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

So um yeah this is amazing to me and a bit scary at the same time. To be able to slow down ones experience of time I think could have multiple positive effects, like virtual reality inception world creation. However it is being thought of as a use for prisoners to serve longer sentences, just seems kinda the wrong way of applying the ability to manipulate the perception of time to me.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
Future biotechnology could be used to trick a prisoner's mind into thinking they have served a 1,000 year sentence, a group of scientists have claimed.

Philosopher Rebecca Roache is in charge of a team of scholars focused upon the ways futuristic technologies might transform punishment. Dr Roache claims the prison sentence of serious criminals could be made worse by extending their lives.

Speaking to Aeon magazine, Dr Roache said drugs could be developed to distort prisoners' minds into thinking time was passing more slowly.

"There are a number of psychoactive drugs that distort people’s sense of time, so you could imagine developing a pill or a liquid that made someone feel like they were serving a 1,000-year sentence," she said.

"If the speed-up were a factor of a million, a millennium of thinking would be accomplished in eight and a half hours... Uploading the mind of a convicted criminal and running it a million times faster than normal would enable the uploaded criminal to serve a 1,000 year sentence in eight-and-a-half hours. This would, obviously, be much cheaper for the taxpayer than extending criminals’ lifespans to enable them to serve 1,000 years in real time."

Thirty years in prison is currently the most severe punishment available in the UK legal system.

"To me, these questions about technology are interesting because they force us to rethink the truisms we currently hold about punishment. When we ask ourselves whether it’s inhumane to inflict a certain technology on someone, we have to make sure it’s not just the unfamiliarity that spooks us," Dr Roache said.

"Is it really OK to lock someone up for the best part of the only life they will ever have, or might it be more humane to tinker with their brains and set them free? When we ask that question, the goal isn’t simply to imagine a bunch of futuristic punishments – the goal is to look at today’s punishments through the lens of the future."

edit on 23-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Reminds me of the "Slow mo" drug from Dredd
=

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

That sounds absolutely horrible.

Why? Just why?

+21 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

What sicko would even think that making a lifer serve millions of tears in prison is OK?

If that isn't the worst form of torture ever imagined I don't know what is.

I think the mass murderer is far less sick in the head than anyone who would even contemplate this.

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This is psychological torture and any sane person would be against it. Prison is supposed to accomplish two things: Protect society from dangerous people, and rehabilitate people so they can reintegrate into society. This does neither, and in fact in counterproductive. What is the point of having a person serve 1,000 years in 8 hours, just to release them into society an entirely broken human being? Are they TRYING to encourage the inmates to break with reality and harm people once released? This is totally absurd.

If someone did something so bad you think they deserve to serve a 1,000 year sentence then grow a pair and just execute them with a firing squad. I'll never understand these types that think they are being progressive and civilized by figuring out new ways to torture people.

Oh yes, we'd be MUCH better off with women running things. This woman is a shining example that sick people come in all genital configurations and instead of fighting against the opposite sex we need to fight against maniacs like this sorry excuse for a skin sack. Not to mention the author who writes the article in such a light manner, it's all incredibly disturbing and the fact that the disturbing nature isn't commented on makes it even more so. Seriously, humans, what are we doing? Why not just start sticking garden hoses with barbed wire up people's butts, since suddenly horrific torture of prisoners is such a light subject.

I think she should be the first person to test it.

The arrogance of modern peoples to think those in older times were more barbaric. Crucifixion is more humane than what this bozo woman is suggesting.

edit on 23-1-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: James1982
This is psychological torture and any sane person would be against it. Prison is supposed to accomplish two things: Protect society from dangerous people, and rehabilitate people so they can reintegrate into society. This does neither, and in fact in counterproductive. What is the point of having a person serve 1,000 years in 8 hours, just to release them into society an entirely broken human being? Are they TRYING to encourage the inmates to break with reality and harm people once released? This is totally absurd.

If someone did something so bad you think they deserve to serve a 1,000 year sentence then grow a pair and just execute them with a firing squad. I'll never understand these types that think they are being progressive and civilized by figuring out new ways to torture people.

Oh yes, we'd be MUCH better off with women running things. This woman is a shining example that sick people come in all genital configurations and instead of fighting against the opposite sex we need to fight against maniacs like this sorry excuse for a skin sack.

I think she should be the first person to test it.

Imagine say for example, they burn you with cigarette first, and you suffer that for a few hundred years.....

Wtf kind of monster even thinks this up?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

This concept gas been kicked arouns in sci fi. It's horrifying. I dont know how it would work. If its psychadelic than yeah time may slow but you may be completely disoriented etc. I assume they want it to feel like a natural prison experience, like you are actually serving such a sentence but without it being a program it wont work with just a drug (or you may only observe eating and seeing people 3 times in a thousand years.

It would be horrifying seeing someone go out and see them come out cracked.

It definitely falls under cruel and unusual punishment.
Who knows though they may get used to it. We might be doing a sentence now.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Curious question; how can it feel like 1000 years when no one has ever experienced a 1000 years? It is my understanding that because time is a learned construct, we do not even dream the concept; so how does this drug simulate that 'time'? Curious readers want to know!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

The concept/idea of this has been in sci-fi and various forms of fantasy for a very long time. There is nothing wrong or unusual for philosophers and scholars to contemplate or discuss the implementation of such future technologies.(possible)

In fact, I am grateful that people are are weighing the implications and contemplating the moral dilemma's of such long before such technologies become a reality.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
If a drug slowed down the perception of time that much, how would a person function?

How would you eat, drink, bathe, etc?

On the other hand, if the same time dilation method could be used for educational purposes, imagine how much you could learn if they were able to slow things down just a bit... let's say 20 years in a few days.

You could absorb all of the info necessary for a PhD in a few hours.

The trick would be developing an extremely fast delivery method that appears normal speed to the drug user.

Now we're talking about Matrix-style information downloading... woah.

+21 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Yes, we could use a drug like this to punish criminals... Or we could give it to great thinkers and scientists so 1000 years of thinking and deduction can be done in a day, thus advancing civilisation!

No, punish the criminals.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Yes, we could use a drug like this to punish criminals... Or we could give it to great thinkers and scientists so 1000 years of thinking and deduction can be done in a day, thus advancing civilisation!

No, punish the criminals.

Great minds think alike.

The educational/philosophical implications were my first thought, not punishment for criminals.

Imagine what Einstein could have done with 1000 years... or Stephen Hawking... or Neil Degrasse Tyson.
edit on 1/23/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Imagine that it wouldn't be anything more than what they actually accomplished. Given the finite nature of our vessels; it could easily be said that our wisdom and intelligence is finite too. What Einstein, Hawing, et. al. had to offer was it; nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
It may change someone at a soul level to be paralized for a 1000 years mentally, just imagine how your mind would attempt to cope with such an experience.

What would anyone even be like after this experience?

They also mentioned hooking the prisoner up to a computer to put them in a virtual world, to ensure they would see what they wanted the prisoners to see. Kind of like the movie Vanilla Sky.

edit on 23-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

The concept/idea of this has been in sci-fi and various forms of fantasy for a very long time. There is nothing wrong or unusual for philosophers and scholars to contemplate or discuss the implementation of such future technologies.(possible)

In fact, I am grateful that people are are weighing the implications and contemplating the moral dilemma's of such long before such technologies become a reality.

SciFi...pure conjecture, philosophy, same thing.

Science..." What would happen if we made a gas that kills people enmass" " maybe we could eradiate milk and give it for free to "retards" to find out its effects on the human body" " maybe we should give blacks syphilous to see how it kills you" ......etc.....

Talking about is fine...once science begins trying it, it either is or will be done.

Very large difference.
edit on 23-1-2015 by infinityorder because: (no reason given)

Nobody should be forced to live in hell for many lifetimes, our psychology is barely enough for one, most old folks are ready to die by the time they are very old.
edit on 23-1-2015 by infinityorder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
If we could make captured child molesters experience 1,000 years in 8 hours
for the rest of their lives,
the punishment still wouldn't be harsh enough.
edit on 23-1-2015 by LionOfGOD because: Due to ownbestenemy's very good point.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LionOfGOD

Experience what though? What if the drug/science only induced the notion of time and the subject (child molester) was able to fulfill their fantasy over and over for 1000 years?

Don't get me wrong, I am right there with your disdain.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LionOfGOD
If we make child molesters experience 1,000 years in 8 hours
for the rest of their lives,
the punishment still wouldn't be harsh enough.

I think they should be executed on the first conviction.......this is too much though.

This is killing something very very slowly until you completely destroy their psychy at which point your torturing meat just to watch it suffer.

This is more along the lines of enjoying making things suffer than justice.

Why would you take a thousand years of torture out on anything for any reason?

I would not even inflict this on Hitler or Stalin or Mao....

That is about as evil as the human mind gets. Petos are sickos, they are a danger society, just kill them.

You don't take your time and make it last a thousand years unless you to are a sicko.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

originally posted by: Grimpachi

SciFi...pure conjecture, philosophy, same thing.

Science..." What would happen if we made a gas that kills people enmass" " maybe we could eradiate milk and give it for free to "retards" to find out its effects on the human body" " maybe we should give blacks syphilous to see how it kills you" ......etc.....

Talking about is fine...once science begins trying it, it either is or will be done.

Very large difference.

Nobody should be forced to live in hell for many lifetimes, our psychology is barely enough for one, most old folks are ready to die by the time they are very old.

Good news because the article is about.

Philosopher Rebecca Roache is in charge of a team of scholars focused upon the ways futuristic technologies might transform punishment.

So you can rest easy knowing the article hasn't said anyone is developing them but people are talking about the implications if they are.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Playing with ones mind is playing with their soul, and the one thing that needs saving is our souls.

This is torturing the soul. Sick.

Evil science. They (such scientists) will face judgement one day. God save their souls.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join