It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really fed up of the "screw you, I've got mine!" mentality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
it's what's going to tear this country apart in my opinion.

This attitude seems to be more prevalent with the hard core patriots that supposedly love this country, but yet I hear a lot of outrage from this crowd whenever a program is proposed that will help educate our fellow countrymen and women and help make this country stronger in the long run.

See, I don't see it as mindless spending I see it as an investment in our country's future. Because unlike most of you so called "patriots" I refuse to give up hope and I still think that we can return this country to it's glory days and if I have to pay more taxes to help educate my fellow countrymen I will gladly do it.

"Bbbbbut who's going to pay for it?!" Funny how this is the first question that it's asked but you never hear it when we're loading thousands of pounds of bombs into B2's ready to carpet bomb a cave in the middle east.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I understand "screw you, I've got mine" at a gut level. It's not my mindset because I went to kindergarten.

What I'm totally fascinated with is "screw me, you've got mine". That one takes an advanced degree to understand.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

You might be right if 90% of those taxes you are ok with were actually used for your benefit. Instead they go towards killing innocents and claiming other Nation's resources in your name.

Let's not forget the taxes you pay to have the honor of being spied on 24/7 by those very people you pay. Or how about all your money that goes towards the Police State that brutalizes or kills your fellow tax payers. Or after you pay more taxes to benefit yourself, the other taxes, permits etc that you pay in order to just survive?

How about the fact that the taxes you pay just go to pay the interest on the National Debt which you never signed as a guarantor but rather it was signed for you the moment you were born in the form of your SIN#?

Haven't you paid enough yet?

Just a few and I mean a FEW:

#1 Air Transportation Taxes (just look at how much you were charged the last time you flew)

#2 Biodiesel Fuel Taxes

#3 Building Permit Taxes

#4 Business Registration Fees

#5 Capital Gains Taxes

#6 Cigarette Taxes

#7 Court Fines (indirect taxes)

#8 Disposal Fees

#9 Dog License Taxes

#10 Drivers License Fees (another form of taxation)

#11 Employer Health Insurance Mandate Tax

#12 Employer Medicare Taxes

#13 Employer Social Security Taxes

#14 Environmental Fees

#15 Estate Taxes

#16 Excise Taxes On Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans

#17 Federal Corporate Taxes

#18 Federal Income Taxes

#19 Federal Unemployment Taxes

#20 Fishing License Taxes

#21 Flush Taxes (yes, this actually exists in some areas)

#22 Food And Beverage License Fees

#23 Franchise Business Taxes

#24 Garbage Taxes

#25 Gasoline Taxes

#26 Gift Taxes

#27 Gun Ownership Permits

#28 Hazardous Material Disposal Fees

#29 Highway Access Fees

#30 Hotel Taxes (these are becoming quite large in some areas)

#31 Hunting License Taxes

#32 Import Taxes

#33 Individual Health Insurance Mandate Taxes

#34 Inheritance Taxes

#35 Insect Control Hazardous Materials Licenses

#36 Inspection Fees

#37 Insurance Premium Taxes

#38 Interstate User Diesel Fuel Taxes

#39 Inventory Taxes

#40 IRA Early Withdrawal Taxes

#41 IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)

#42 IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

#43 Library Taxes

#44 License Plate Fees

#45 Liquor Taxes

#46 Local Corporate Taxes

#47 Local Income Taxes

#48 Local School Taxes

#49 Local Unemployment Taxes

#50 Luxury Taxes

#51 Marriage License Taxes

#52 Medicare Taxes

#53 Medicare Tax Surcharge On High Earning Americans Under Obamacare

#54 Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax (if you don’t buy “qualifying” health insurance under Obamacare you will have to pay an additional tax)

#55 Obamacare Surtax On Investment Income (a new 3.8% surtax on investment income)

#56 Parking Meters

#57 Passport Fees

#58 Professional Licenses And Fees (another form of taxation)

#59 Property Taxes

#60 Real Estate Taxes

#61 Recreational Vehicle Taxes

#62 Registration Fees For New Businesses

#63 Toll Booth Taxes

#64 Sales Taxes

#65 Self-Employment Taxes

#66 Sewer & Water Taxes

#67 School Taxes

#68 Septic Permit Taxes

#69 Service Charge Taxes

#70 Social Security Taxes

#71 Special Assessments For Road Repairs Or Construction

#72 Sports Stadium Taxes

#73 State Corporate Taxes

#74 State Income Taxes

#75 State Park Entrance Fees

#76 State Unemployment Taxes (SUTA)

#77 Tanning Taxes (a new Obamacare tax on tanning services)

#78 Telephone 911 Service Taxes

#79 Telephone Federal Excise Taxes

#80 Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Taxes

#81 Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Taxes

#82 Telephone State And Local Taxes

#83 Telephone Universal Access Taxes

#84 The Alternative Minimum Tax

#85 Tire Recycling Fees

#86 Tire Taxes

#87 Tolls (another form of taxation)

#88 Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)

#89 Use Taxes (Out of state purchases, etc.)

#90 Utility Taxes

#91 Vehicle Registration Taxes

#92 Waste Management Taxes

#93 Water Rights Fees

#94 Watercraft Registration & Licensing Fees

#95 Well Permit Fees

#96 Workers Compensation Taxes

#97 Zoning Permit Fees

The more you say it's ok, the more permission you give to take more from you.

Peace

edit on 22-1-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I see a country filled with people who cut back, work more hours, get 2nd jobs just to stay afloat. Debt, rising cost of living, joblessness. Nothing will ever change unless they want it to, and even then the victory won't be for the common person.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

I understand "screw you, I've got mine" at a gut level. It's not my mindset because I went to kindergarten.

What I'm totally fascinated with is "screw me, you've got mine". That one takes an advanced degree to understand.

You might have a hard time understanding it but I don't.

You might see it as other people stealing from you but I don't

See, the way I see it is that we should be trying to actively make things better for future generations by laying the groundwork right now to make education as accessible as possible.

Investing in our country's education is one of the best investments we can make. Just because we had to pay through the nostrils for it that doesn't mean we should expect our future generations to deal with that burden as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Why would I want to condemn my children to the endless circle that is debt, fatigue and slavery? It's essentially saying "Pay us billions to elevate your children's economic status. Of course they'll still face the poor economy, increasing foreign competition, obsolescence from technology, etc, etc. But it's free! Free!!"

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You didn't even go into all the money that goes to foreign governments in "aid packages". That money should be invested here.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe

You didn't even go into all the money that goes to foreign governments in "aid packages". That money should be invested here.

To cover it all will take up more than a post or 2.

But yes, you're right.

Peace

edit on 22-1-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Well yes, I would love to see those taxes go to the people and not the MCI.
Think that is kinda the point.

Cause yes every time I hear "we just don't have the money" I can't help to think what could do if our military budget was only as large as the next 10 not the next 20 on that list.

Please respond to me with "What you want our enemies to have a better military then us!?!??!?! RABBLE!"

That is just bullsnip and we all know it, I think we can cut back with out going into danger.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe

And let's not forget the corporate welfare in the form of subsidies. Paid to corporations already making obscene profits.

All this paid by the American Taxpayer.

wallstcheatsheet.com...

www.taxpayer.net...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Alright, I will be the bad guy here and come out and say it.

Free junk classes for a useless degree is a freeking waste of money. Instead of wasting mommy and daddy's money or getting your own student loans for POS useless classes attached to a useless degree, we now get to pay for your idiot choices!

Truth.

90% of this free for you not for those paying for it are going to waste tens of thousands (for each moron) on useless classes which may get you an entry level job at a call center or daycare that you could have gotten already.

Only those few with a brain will use this opportunity to go into nursing, dentistry, Cisco Engineering, etc. which actually PAYS.

Sorry, I am all for subsidizing (Workfare) Doctors, nurses, and SKILLED jobs that are needed. Uncle Sam pays for you to become a Doctor, you give 10 hours a week for free at the clinic or VA for 10 years type of thing or related but 90-95% of these idiots will not take anything worth a crap that actually leads to a real career.

Now these same idiots complaining they have a "degree" and can't get a job can now be examples for the next generation of idiots to get their useless college degrees off of someone elses buck (and yes, it has to be funded somehow. This is probably a jobs program for more Teachers with useless degrees that can't find a job to teach new idiots useless topics so they cannot find a job also).

Free college for critical jobs /skills needed. Idiots taking useless classes can pay for that themselves. If you make the stupid choices you pay your OWN consequences. Don't spread the cost of your stupidity onto others.

edit on 22-1-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Free Public High School has failed to produce.

How would Free Public College not fail?

Unless those failures are actually the success story of the Millennia.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Meh, They are just struggling against the new generations.

Take these threats with a grain of salt. Because this world is ours. And by Ours i mean Generation Z.

There are already more #millennials than boomers — depending on how you define ‘millennial’

January 20

A report from the Pew Research Center released late last week offered ill tidings for anyone who can't name more than three Pokemon characters: #Millennials are about to overtake boomers in the United States.

Which is obviously terrifying! #Millennials, with their hippity-hop music and their "Snapchats" and their twerks, overtaking that most noble (and by "noble" we mean "populous") generation! Except that this determination hinges upon a very, very important point: What constitutes a #millennial is almost completely subjective.

(Why the hashtag on #millennial? Because #millennials use hashtags to identify their favorite #brands, and their all-time favorite #brand is "#millennial.")

Last year, I reached out to the Census Bureau to see if it might put to rest one of the key questions for old #millennials/young Gen Xers: When, exactly, do those generations begin and end? The answer was simple: No idea. The bureau delineates boomers only by year as a generation because specific population markers defined them. Otherwise, the boundaries for millennial and Generation X and whatever-comes-after-millennial-but-which-the-White-House-calls-the-Homeland-Generation are all in the eye of the beholder. Or, more accurately, the statistical observer.

Pew acknowledges as much. "For the purposes of following a cleanly defined group," a footnote to its generation marker reads, "Millennials [sic] are defined as those ages 18 to 34 in 2015." In other words, those born between 1981 and 1997. But other researchers, such as William Strauss and Neil Howe, put the end year at 2004. Which is a very, very big difference.

Anyway, the goal here is not to disparage Pew, which is a good organization that is mostly staffed by non-#millennials. It is, instead, to reinforce an important point. Generations seem like they have hard edges; your mom is not from the same generation as you, by definition. But generational names are gauzy and unspecific, by their very nature. Pew was right: The boomers are fading and younger people -- particularly 22-year-olds -- are taking their place.

And if you don't like it, they'll be happy to send you a GIF of their response

edit on 22-1-2015 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr
Meh, They are just struggling against the new generations.

Take these threats with a grain of salt. Because this world is ours. And by Ours i mean Generation Z.

Z

Z I wish I could get a job but I got a degree in Fine Arts.

LOL, sorry could not resist that one.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I would say free public high school fails mostly because parents don't raise their children to value the free education anymore.... which in turn has caused the public education system to continue to pander to an ever lower common denominator.

I say this as someone who used to teach in the free public education system at a school that had a significant population of refugee students from around the world. Those students were amazing, and are not failing. They appreciate what is being given to them, unlike the overwhelming majority of US children in public education.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
America is dead .. the people lost the rugged individualism .. sense of responsibility.. working hard to actually earn something ..
Replaced by Amerika the nanny state home of the whiny little entitlement brats too damn fat .. lazy.. stupid.. to get up off their fat asses .. take responsibility and actually work and strive to make something of themselves rather than leech off the hard work of others who stood on their own two feet and actually worked to make something of themselves ..

Lifes a bitch.. world doesnt owe you a damn thing.. nor does it revolve around you .. you want an education then do like many before you have done.. get up off your fat lazy ass and work for it instead of whining with your hand out for someone to pay the tab for your useless miserable whiny ass to get an education ..

You cant handle life in real world then go lock youself in mommy and daddy's basement as life is a bitch not all lollypops and sunshine... hard work has its rewards ..

And you wonder why amerika is falling behind .. take a look in the mirror .. people in other countries actually work damn hard to get educations .. learn skills and make something of themselves instead of sitting around on their asses waiting for everything to be handed to them ..
edit on 22/1/15 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Laugh it up buddy lol We own this world. Pokemon. Lots and lots of pokemon.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It has failed to produce cause we keep cutting budgets while pumping that money into military and private school subsidies.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
America is dead .. the people lost the rugged individualism .. sense of responsibility.. working hard to actually earn something ..
Replaced by Amerika the nanny state home of the whiny little entitlement brats too damn fat .. lazy.. stupid.. to get up off their fat asses .. take responsibility and actually work and strive to make something of themselves rather than leech off the hard work of others who stood on their own two feet and actually worked to make something of themselves ..

Lifes a bitch.. world doesnt owe you a damn thing.. nor does it revolve around you .. you want an education then do like many before you have done.. get up off your fat lazy ass and work for it instead of whining with your hand out for someone to pay the tab for your useless miserable whiny ass to get an education ..

You cant handle life in real world then go lock youself in mommy and daddy's basement as life is a bitch not all lollypops and sunshine... hard work has its rewards ..

And you wonder why amerika is falling behind .. take a look in the mirror .. people in other countries actually work damn hard to get educations .. learn skills and make something of themselves instead of sitting around on their asses waiting for everything to be handed to them ..

The reason america has fallen behind in so many areas is because we refuse to help our own people. We have this boot straps mentality that will come back and bite us in the behind sooner rather than later and it'll start with education. Many advanced countries have far superior education systems and actually provide free and affordable education to it's citizens except America.

It's stupefying the amount of outrage at the proposal of 2 years of community college free. But yet this level of outrage and anger is almost never displayed when we're about to bomb other countries.

Investing in the education of our future generations is one of the best investments we can make.

But screw em'! If I had to drown in student debt so should them! right?

Unbelievable.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Depending on the State, most public education systems are quite adequately funded, they just don't allocate the resources properly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join