It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision Linked to Autism in New Danish Study

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
Well, there you go, we always say men think with two heads....

No but seriously, I can't fathom how one could effect the other...? Do they have any hypothesis on how that could be?

The reference to ritual is because in Europe, it is only done for religious reasons, by jewish and muslims.
They don't do it systematically over here, like in the US.
Do they do it to everyone in England too?

If you look at the neurons in newborns. Newborns have very few neurons and the ones they have often don't connect. As the brain develops, around age 2 there is a surge in neuronal development. Again the neurons are a mish-mash and quite disconnected.

After age 2 the neurons settle down and begin the process of either connecting to the system or dying.

So while the study is interesting, I question the ability of the brain to develop autism when it is functioning at a nearly bare survival level, certainly the emotions haven't really formed at birth.

What looks like rage at birth is simply a autonomic reaction. So I'm not sure how the pain could actually change brain function at age 0 when most circumcisions are performed.

However, circumcisions after the age of 12 months or later, yes I could see that causing brain trauma.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

Whatever's causing autism is hurting a lot of people. Also we're one of the few disabilities where society does and knows absolutely nothing about it. Hell it's popularized by awkward tv characters, I don't see any hope of a cure or useful treatment any time soon.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It doesn't appear to me that anyone is mixing up correlation with causation. The authors clearly state that more studies need to be done. Even if additional studies confirmed a link between circumcision and ASD, ASD encompasses (as the name implies) a spectrum of disorders with related symptoms, arising from what is likely a very large number of causes/confluence of multiple causes.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This study re prenatal paracetamol use also supports the theory that it may interfere with brain development, just correlation but worthy of further investigation surely...

ije.oxfordjournals.org...

Conclusion Children exposed to long-term use of paracetamol during pregnancy had substantially adverse developmental outcomes at 3 years of age.

edit on 22-1-2015 by Scouse100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: ketsuko

Nothing wrong with showing correlation in science. It's the springboard for further, more rigorous research to find a causal link (if any). This study does just that: offers a starting point for further research. It could well turn out that there's absolutely nothing to it. And that's fine. It's how science works.

You're correct however since it's pretty much accepted that autism is genetic this study seems pretty redundant.

I'm guessing here (but I've seen it several times before) that an hypothesis has been put forward and the authors have used a specific algorithm to make the data fit that hypothesis.
I'm happy to keep an open mind on this but there's so much missing from it to be as robust as it should.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
More likely it's the vaccines administered at the same time as most circs are done. Or something in the anesthetic they use. Losing a flap of skin affecting brain chemisty? Yeah I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Pardon?

Oh I agree with you, I was merely pointing out that the "silly scientists can't distinguish between correlation and causation" argument is, well, silly.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
More likely it's the vaccines administered at the same time as most circs are done.

Nope. That argument has long been debunked a thousand times over.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?
You're correct however since it's pretty much accepted that autism is genetic this study seems pretty redundant.

So are many cancers. That doesn't mean that we can't ID and prevent things that increase the probabilities.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

By the people who make the vaccines?

Mmmhmm.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Ever hear the stories about babies who nearly die the same day after receiving vaccines? I'm one of them, nearly died hours after getting it. Somehow recovered, and my behavior changed. Everyone said I was a different person after that. Diagnosed with Aspergers at age 15. If it doesn't cause autism in some people, it might increase the chance for it to happen, don't ask me. Just what I experienced.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

By researchers from multiple disciplines, countries and institutions.

But hey, let's not let science get in the way of a good conspiratorial narrative.
edit on 22-1-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Damn that sucks. And yep, I've heard and lived stories. Happened to my son and 6 of his classmates...all born in the same hospital in the same two weeks, all got the same vaccine, all got Tourettes, some full on verbal some just tics Not all were circumcised. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I don't doubt it. And the vast network of doctors, administrators, corporations and politicians make sure it's mostly swept under the rug. Not much liability if any...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Pardon?

That's not exactly true. There are quite a number of studies demonstrating a genetic component but a) there are many disorders that fall under the ASD umbrella and b) even in disorders that are conclusively linked to a single mutation or set of mutations, there are still environmental factors.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The most ridiculous un-scientific hogwash I`ve ever heard. If anything I think this "scientific" study has proven beyond any doubt that the world in general has become stupider.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
The most ridiculous un-scientific hogwash I`ve ever heard. If anything I think this "scientific" study has proven beyond any doubt that the world in general has become stupider.

What specifically is unscientific about the study ?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yup, it's true, also eating Danish jam will make you sticky, and looking for your foreskin will make you go blind anyway, that's why I use a BrAilLe kEyBoaRd.

God, I wish I looked like this guy,

edit on 22-1-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: UmbraSumus

originally posted by: Tardacus

What specifically is unscientific about the study ?

I could say Circumstance.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I left my cat's sugar lumps attached and trained him not to spray the hard way, it was a rough time. Problem is, you can keep only one cat at a time. But I swear he is a much happier, more energetic cat who exhibits way more personality than my last cat who had the operation. What's the point of raising a carpet slug?

I believe we developed specific genes and physical features to increase the survival of our species. If given the choice, I would not have let it happen. People like that sure know how to hang out and have a good time.

edit on 22-1-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join