It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP rep.: Keep minimum wage low ‘for minorities’ who aren’t worth more than $7 an hour

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

He was not saying that people are only worth $7 an hour. He was saying that the job that needed doing was only worth $7 an hour and those jobs will be eliminated.

What unmitigated BS. Jobs utilizing unskilled workers will never be eliminated! Service industries and agriculture can't get enough labor as it is...that's why they are sending buses to Mexico to bring in undocumented labor for the central valley.

False
The reason they use migrants is because they are more incintivized to work.

The reason is because of the exchange rate of the currencies.

roughly 250$ us is about 2500 in mexico.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What the representative said is true. The biggest losers when it comes to minimum wage (and illegal immigration) are black teenagers. This is why teen unemployment is so high in urban areas now. It used to be an unskilled teen could get a summer job dropping fries at fast food restaurants. Now they can't because the wages required exceed the value of hiring a 15 or 16 year old in many areas. Hence you have hoards of young black teens in urban areas with nothing to productive to do to earn a little spending money, so they resort to hustling on the corners.

In fact, if you really research the history of the minimum wage and the Davis-Beacon act, you will see that it was primarily designed with racist origins to keep companies from hiring blacks. Economist Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams have written extensively about the effects of minimum wage on blacks and its history.

Of course, you can't expect liberals to dig into the actual facts of a subject beyond trying to spin something as racist.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Minimum wage is minimum wage no matter how much you make it. Prices adjust and they will still be unskilled workers on the bottom of the food chain.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Actually that's not what he said, that's how the reporter phrased it.

What he actually said if anyone bothered to read the story.......

McClintock argued that raising the minimum wage would “rip the first rung in the ladder of opportunity for teenagers, for minorities, for people who are trying to get into the job market for their first job.”

The California Republican explained that the minimum wage was not supposed to be a living wage that could support families.

“It’s not supposed to support a family. The minimum wage is that first job when you have no skills, no experience, no working history. That’s how you get into the job market, that’s how you develop that experience, develop that work record, get your first raise, then your next raise, then your promotion.”

McClintock continued: “If your labor is an unskilled person just entering the workforce is worth say $7 an hour at a job and the minimum wage is $10, you have just been made permanently unemployable. That first rung of the economic ladder has been ripped out and you can’t get on it. That is a tragedy.”

And he is right.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

It's almost as if the GOP wants to lose elections. People and even unskilled workers will vote in their own perceived self interest.
And the Democrats will use this as ammunition to grow their base of the working poor and minorities even larger.

They're morons!!! Sometimes I think they have $hit for brains. Than again, there's a lot of politicians that fall into that category on both sides. He's most likely saying what most GOP are thinking.

It's amazing that thirty percent of republicans still want to see Sarah Palin run in 2016! Their front runner has a last name that a majority of Americans hate, and than there's Mitt that thinks 3 times will be a charm. Really, I sometimes think they have no common sense or political competency.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Survey says that survey stats go to the highest bidder.

Which demonstrates that you do not even know how these stats are compiled.

edit on 22-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

true
i do not need to know how they create lies to see that the numbers put forth do not match the rate of prices increasing while earning does not. Getting by has gotten harder and harder and in the past couple yrs food prices basically doubled. That is real world and not some digets on a screen.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

The trolls cannot ignore those facts. They are speaking to you based strictly on what they observe in their own lives and it has nothing to do with the observations of the community around them. Its not based on statistics, its not based on thorough research or really on anything but incredibly ignorant and subjective perspectives out of arrogance.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

Thats very clever propaganda to trick you into thinking that the skill of the job is what your paying for but in reality what your paying for is someones time taken away from their personal life, the skill in my opinion is almost relevant. Almost all jobs become redundant at some for whoever is doing them and we have many jobs that are split into multiple jobs for the purpose of keeping people employed for numbers and tax reason among other things.

Its a very clever ploy but its bull# no one is really doing that much more than anyone else except for a small percentage of the population and non of them are middle class, those jobs actually pay, you know ones that require talent and artistic ability.

Wake up, time to get out of bed and put your thinking caps on and sit down and get to the nitty gritty.

I forgot to mention that every job you do for a team or company is only 1 cog in the wheel of jobs that need to be done in order for the company to continue to profit. In this way every job is as essential as the other in order for the system to work. So cleaning toilets may not be worth jack # but that persons time is worth enough in order for that guy to enjoy quality time with his family and afford basic living costs with a little extra spending for quality of life.

This is America, im disgusted by how selfish some of you think. I cant believe your justifying such a low wage in todays day and age.

Your selfish, totally selfish.
edit on 1/22/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What specifically did he say that wasn't true?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

More corporate welfare, like the EIC.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

a reply to: onequestion

Then I would love to watch you two blustery geniuses show us how to properly calculate the inflation rate.

I am sure it will be quite simple based on your mutual vast knowledge of economics and consumer pricing.

When should we expect your first, verifiable numbers to be posted?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I forgot to mention that every job you do for a team or company is only 1 cog in the wheel of jobs that need to be done in order for the company to continue to profit. In this way every job is as essential as the other in order for the system to work. So cleaning toilets may not be worth jack # but that persons time is worth enough in order for that guy to enjoy quality time with his family and afford basic living costs with a little extra spending for quality of life.

This is America, im disgusted by how selfish some of you think. I cant believe your justifying such a low wage in todays day and age.

Your selfish, totally selfish.

If you own a business you're paying for results, not somebody's time. If worker A cleans 10 toilets in an hour, and worker B cleans 20 toilets in an hour, you can pay worker B twice what you pay worker A. If the Minimum Wage is $7 an hour, that means Worker A gets his $7 an hour, and worker B gets $14 for the same production.

If the government forces a business to pay Worker A $10 an hour, then what happens to worker B? Does he still get $14 an hour?

Is that fair?

Or does he now get $20 an hour?

Selfish is demanding that you get paid more than your worth in comparison to those who are better at their job and more productive.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

As it is obvious you have never owned a business I can say that not all jobs are equal and some are more skilled or specialized, and therefore more important, than others. The CNC operator makes the manufacturing plant money, the janitor cleaning the toilets does not. One is a net contributor the other is not. A CNC operator is a skilled, in demand job, a janitor can be found quite easily.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It's all about perceptions. That's true in any part of life. If you are in the Military, if you teach, if you own a business, if you manage people, if you sell anything, and...if you are in politics. It's the perception that matters, more than that truth.

The perception is that the republicans are anti-minority. It's the harsh stance against immigration reform, the siding with police unions over protestors...It's not always a true perception, but there you have it.

There's a huge election coming up next year. Now would be a good time to change the perception for republicans otherwise, Hillary will run away with the female and minority voters. That's a huge bock. Also the LGBT voters, another sizable block.

Republicans need to be careful what they say and how they say it. This guy didn't articulate his view very well. I'm just saying. It's all about perception and if that perception is skewed against you to begin with, you have to be extra careful what you say.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I wonder what minimum wage would be if EMPLOYERS where not paying half of employees ss, and and medicare contributions.

All of the employees workmans comp, and unemployment insurance.

They would exactly the same, only difference would be that the employer would stick the rest in his/her pocket.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

originally posted by: neo96
I wonder what minimum wage would be if EMPLOYERS where not paying half of employees ss, and and medicare contributions.

All of the employees workmans comp, and unemployment insurance.

They would exactly the same, only difference would be that the employer would stick the rest in his/her pocket.

Man, if we didn't have all that to pay, I really think the wages would go up in a lot of places. The better you pay your employees the more retention you get and the better moral and more work and higher quality work they do. It's always been like that.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Nothing new here folks.
The GOP tells millions of people, all the time, to turn against their neighbors.
Blame the illegals with one hand but, reward the corporations and contractors hiring the illegals with loopholes and tax breaks.

Most of our manufacturing jobs were sent overseas because the labor is cheaper.
We don't have capitalism in this country, What we do have is corporatism.

Paying the poor people less does not help the economy. Especially if you want people to get off the government tit.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I'm just tired of the extremely wealthy being in control. The real folk of society will never have a say in anything ever because they simply don't have enough money and that's sad. How many of these politicians, Royals and powerful leaders of the world know a thing about the real decent hard working class folk .. nothing, yet we allow them to make all the rules and decisions for us and we line up like good little kids and work our fingers to the bone, hand over our hard earned to them and just accept it. I'm a Brit living in the US, my wife got health insurance cheaper last year through the "Affordable" care act than it was to add her to my work policy, however this year her renewal went up 200%. If I don't add her to mine or she doesn't get another policy elsewhere then we are fined .. how the F@&^ is that affordable? The rich robbing the poor all day long and i'm tired of it. I'd up sticks back home if I didn't like where I live/work. Tired of living paycheck to paycheck, working my knackers off and constantly having the screw tightened down on my head. .. I guess this should have gone in the rants forum eh .. F*&^ the 1%

Sorry about that .. Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

perhaps it would contribute to that but imo i think it should be done and at the same time we should also deal with corporations harshly. we should not let them govern our lives any longer. they are not organic creatures and they should die.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join