It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be Happy Where You Are

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist
Little things are what make us happy, go and find joy in them for yourself.
Thoughts ATS?

1 agrees Iamschist

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamschist

Happiness is always a choice.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Why be happy when you can be interesting? Be interesting.

Does trying to be interesting make you unhappy?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Does trying to be interesting make you unhappy?

When its about growth, happiness and unhappiness are but hurdles to it.

Does trying to be happy make you interesting?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Who's trying to be happy?
There is no trying to be any thing (concept) here.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

When its about growth, happiness and unhappiness are but hurdles to it.

What is it that is growing, in your opinion?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Wow

Most delusional thread of the week

Ask a starving child with aids to "just be happy"

This thread comes from (mostly) the silver spoon types

Those who have never really been in a place of desperation when it comes to the necessities of life in a world where those necessities are owned

Now here will come the bs stories of how u had it hard and overcoming . And u know what . I don't believe a word

If u did have it like some of us have you wouldn't have stared this thread or agreed with the op

You are the rich man to the homeless man. Telling him to be happy abiut his lot.

Well you are wrong

edit on am120153111America/ChicagoThu, 22 Jan 2015 11:49:26 -0600_1u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

It so happens I know a homeless man, and he is very happy. He lives in a desert area and has friends among the wild things, he has a few human friends as well, but derives most of his happiness from his lifestyle and the workings of his own mind. He is homeless by choice and lives a life of gratitude.

Having things is not the cause or in relationship with happiness.

You have power to change how you think, to stop being bitter and disappointed, and start being grateful and find ways to be happy. Whatever your lot in life.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Unless you are happy in complete denial of reality, I am pretty sure I would deem that interesting. Finding joy in the little things in life makes for a much better companion, friend. Imho most people are interesting, even the ones leading quiet lives.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have always found the joy in little things. I have also been in that dark place losing hope when everything around me was falling apart through no fault of my own and there were no choices to change things. I will always have compassion for those having a hard time in life because I have not walked a mile in their shoes. Not everyone is the same and can easily bounce back from things. There are those who have been through too much for too long and need help holding on.

Some may share parts of their lives with us here, but may not be telling every detail. Some things may be far worse for them than you know. I would rather offer my love and compassion for a struggling soul, rather than to just turn my back and abandon them.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

Happiness is always a choice.

Is it? Is it really? Is it your choice to be happy when you are facing a doctor and he is telling you that you have an aggressive cancer? Is it your choice to be happy when you are a starving child from some third world country? Is it your choice to be happy in spite of great physical pain in your daily life with some incurable disease? There are many legitimate reasons for people complaining and not being happy. It isn't always a choice what they are given to deal with in their lives.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

For me, that quote sums it up.
But that is just me, and I like to keep things simple.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
So, if a person is born into slavery, it doesn't matter? They should just be happy?

Yes, people can find ways to be happy and not let others rob them of their joy but Equality/Justice/Fairness is very important, too.

It's not just about your right to happiness but also other people's right to happy, and slavery and injustice and inequality prevents that.
edit on 22-1-2015 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I want to believe this, and sometimes I do believe it, but depression is powerful. It's not easy to just decide you're going to be happy.
If anyone has tips for choosing that I'd appreciate them.
I posted a thread a while ago asking how to stay happy even in an unhappy home. The answers I got were all relationship related, which wasn't what I was looking for.
I want advice on how to be happy and grateful even when you're not in a great situation.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
You know what. That is the craziest thing I have heard in a long long time on this site or anywhere else. As such, baring some things, as not everything is withing our power to control. I mean how many happy people do you see who can be happy when they got there hand stuck in the door, nope not happy, hurts like a bia... You know what I mean.

I could list hundreds of thousands of other such situations were thinking happy thoughts or enjoying the moment and small things will not necessarily make you happy. But other then that, what your talking about is so crazy. So crazy in fact, that by all viable probably outcomes in all resonant factors, that it could only be classified as being true.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist
I read so many threads of unhappy people here. Lots of could have been, I hate my life, she is my problem, he is my problem, I am my own problem, etc.

Here is the thing. Life is what you make it. Even in the direst of circumstances there can be joy. If you doubt, watch a child. They can find and play with anything, and find laughter. Big secret, so can you. There is always time, moments you can take away from your misery, there is always something, an interest, you can find to loose yourself in and find moments of pleasure and fun.

I committed to taking care of a vegetative mother, with a father I had an unpleasant history with. I gave up my job, my independence, my social life, my privacy. It was very hard. I found joy and laughter feeding birds and watching them. I found escape in library books on travel. Little things are what make us happy, go and find joy in them for yourself.

Thoughts ATS?

I think you're looking at this wrong.

Humanity as a general whole doesn't reach out and work together very well. I had a cousin who got divorced, lost his business, lost 2 jobs and became despondent and committed suicide. He family did reach out to him in some ways, but nothing that changed their life routines. Most of the spiritual advice he got was to be happy with his situation and try to move on. How? He had no money except the money his retired Dad gave him until his Dad could give no more lest he endanger his savings. The world around him just didn't get how down on his luck he was and how debilitating it was to his life. To top it off, at the catholic funeral the priest and the family members trashed him by saying he suffered from adult depression. I guess if you face multiple serious tragedies you should just not let it bother you, right? Wrong! He needed people to come together and assist him until he could help himself again.

Humanity as a general whole doesn't reach out and work together very well.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to: Iamschist

Well now you know two

And guess what . I put on that same facade

But it's just that . It's only skin deep. As I don't want the world to fear for me. But your just wrong.

Without being unhappy in your life you won't change things for the better.

The founders of this county? They should have just been happy. NO! That kind of thinking is the mindset of of someone who has been brainwashed into thinking this is the way the world should be

it's not

This is the thinking of the monarchy . The weathy. Those who don't know suffering pain and depression

Cold hunger and fear

The controllers to the controlled

My life atm sux. I hate it. I will not be happy

I will suffer on until I can change it or I die. But starving I will never be ok with.

Unfortunately it's people like yiu who think I should just be happy are the ones who, when I ask for help, turn a deaf ear

Jessica and the pixel understand this . You will not until yiur spoon is taken
edit on pm120153111America/ChicagoThu, 22 Jan 2015 23:52:06 -0600_1u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx

I'm sorry lady rabbit

There is no real help. I wish there were.

I'm finding that people who care are few and far between.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Even in the direst of circumstances there can be joy. If you doubt, watch a child.
Not true. The child who has been beaten and broken, who are always having to watch out the corner of their eye, does not know how.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious
to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter, for always
there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment;
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations
in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join