It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer's Doorstop Turns Out To Be Important Bronze Age Artifact

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The "Dirks" are made in a pattern reminiscent of mycanean or spanish bronze age swords.
Since they have no poinst of attatchment for a handle, it is thought they are votive offerings.
The wiki on the oxburough dirk postulates that they were a method of holding value, ie money.
I could see that being the case as they are extremely uniform, and very well made for the day, and they have been found in places where mycaneans were known to have traded.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
That's a real cool story.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Heck, that's nothing. I use a 10 pound piece of petrified wood as a doorstop, and it's much older than that.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
He owes that friend a beer. And who even contemplates throwing out a hunk of bronze, with today's scrap prices? He should take the proceeds from selling it to the museum and invest in a good metal detector, might be more bronze-age artifacts lurking under his soil.
S+F

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

He should take the proceeds from selling it to the museum and invest in a good metal detector, might be more bronze-age artifacts lurking under his soil.

If I were him, it would have been the very first thing I did!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShortStuff
Heck, that's nothing. I use a 10 pound piece of petrified wood as a doorstop, and it's much older than that.

Yes it's older but you can go to Petrified Forest National Park. You can't really go to Ancient Dirk National Park.

Lol

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a SUPER cool.. Love it...
reply to: zazzafrazz

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
WOW Nice Find ...

It Amazezes Me that People in the UK Dont Realize Find things in the Ground could be Something as a Ancient Relic as this ... Now if this was in the USA People Would Consider it as just a Piece OF long forgotten Scrap Metal

same thing Happen While Back in the UK of another Farmer finding Gold Artifacts that was around in the 1st Century ... This farmer Knew he had Something... Beacuse of the Gold and Jewels it Contained in his Findings ...

Now the Farmer is a Multi Millionaire !

There is a lot of Great Finds ( Treasure Cache ) in the UK Some Finds Were from Before 1st AD Roman Coins !

I should Suggest that all People in the UK that have a Big Hunk of Land should get a Metal Detector ! and start treasure Hunting .. but I heard you only get a Percentage as the UK government Will Claim it !

Amateur treasure hunter finds £1million hoard of 1,000-year-old Anglo Saxon coins - after a whip-round for petrol to get there

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... eld.html#ixzz3PfPKkHZH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

www.dailymail.co.uk... eld.html

The field of gold: How jobless treasure hunter unearthed greatest ever haul of Saxon artefacts with £2.50 metal detector

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... xzz3PfPVnEdH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

top topics

<< 1   >>

join