It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microbes that eat and breathe electricity discovered.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Great find a reply to: watchitburn

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam
Interestung, so according to you a battery is also not an ekectric device, as a battery operates on the flow of ions through an electrolyte. Any flow of current through an ekectrolye is performed by the flow of ions... And if the flow of ions is not considered to be electricity, then a battery cannot generate electricity either...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hellhound604
Interestung, so according to you a battery is also not an ekectric device...

Do you understand what a neuron's electrical activity consists of? What happens when it fires?

Here's a hint - the ion traffic is at right angles to the signal propagation. The ions do not flow down the nerve cell. There is no current flow along the nerve. It is not conduction like a wire, only with ions. And THAT'S why the signal propagation is pedestrian. It isn't conducting like a wire. OR a battery. That's not how nerves work. Or muscle cells.
edit on 22-1-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
Its cool. But i would not say its anything new, if anything its a step backwards as far as evolutionary biology is concerned. We already produce electricity, though not as much as the whole matrix thing likes to say, like this link says electric eels produce more electricity then a human body.
LINK

But its cool stuff none the less if they produce electricity. They are trying to make Biobattery's which is based on the human process of turning glucose into energy. So who knows why do all that when you have an organism which puts out electricity using a sort of same process only backwards or in reverse, you got plenty of materials for these things to suck up and then bam turn it into electricity. Or maybe not that or not as effective a battery as that, but still cool.

I mean it says they found about the when they tested for were all the possible manganese oxide could have went.

In 1982, he was a professor at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography when he heard about strange goings-on in Oneida Lake in upstate New York. Each spring, snowmelt washes manganese out of the surrounding mountains and into the lake. Winds then whip up the waters, allowing the dissolved metal to combine efficiently with oxygen to form solid manganese oxide, which sinks to the lake bed. The trouble was, scientists didn’t find nearly as much as they anticipated. Something was making the manganese oxide vanish, at more than 1,000 times the geologically expected rate, and nobody could figure out what.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I reserve the term for very very rare cases - Fascinating. Just fascinating.

On first glance it strongly reminds me of "The Crystalline Entity" from Star Trek.

Possibly this might be an answer to a question that has always been bugging me:

According to conventional physics, Energy can not be destroyed, so what exactly happens to energy after it has been "used"? (I.E.: a used battery)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pakd-on-mystery

According to conventional physics, Energy can not be destroyed, so what exactly happens to energy after it has been "used"? (I.E.: a used battery)

It becomes crappier, more entropic energy. For most things run from a battery, low level heat.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Yes, but where exactly is this energy? how can it be tapped?

Take a stomp as an example. If I stomp on the ground, I transfer energy into the stomp, which then is transferred to the ground. Partially the energy gets converted, but what exactly happens the the other part(s) of the energy AFTERWARDS?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pakd-on-mystery

Yes, but where exactly is this energy? how can it be tapped?

Take a stomp as an example. If I stomp on the ground, I transfer energy into the stomp, which then is transferred to the ground. Partially the energy gets converted, but what exactly happens the the other part(s) of the energy AFTERWARDS?

You'll need to be a bit more specific.

It's very possible to have energy that's not useful due to entropy.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
Great Post OP, that is interesting and it does
sound a bit sci-fi. Its easy to imagine some old
1950's something black and white B rated science
fiction movie about electricity sucking creatures.

As a bit of a joke, I'll add that I think their are
some people that do this all the time-
there called "Energy Suckers", lol
just kidding.

Rebel 5

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If these things take metal or ionized metals and turn them into solid state or electricity. Well then these guys LINK who are making lithium ion batteries and all these other stuff for all these technological things you all use, well there doing it the wrong way. In fact they probably have plenty of factories worldwide who dump all kinds of waste material that could be used to power these things vie these microbes or make more efficient batteries using some sort of process involving it.

It should not be to hard, there practically doing it already. Even in other areas like waste treatment or even radiation treatment over areas. In fact I would say nature already had these things in hand already. In Chernobyl they found that fungus which sucks up radiation and eat radioactive isotopes. So really! Its nothing new. Even if we all blew our self's up and killed of the whole human race by way of nuclear war. It would all be cleaned up eventually by nature...You know minus so many humans being around.

As they say. There is nothing new under the sun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join