It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Create Self Aware Mario

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Nice Autonomous Artificial Intelligence find

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Ha! I don't know if that would be awesome or terrifying, lol.

It is going to be interesting to see where it all leads. Kurzweil seems to believe singularity and transhumanism will be saviors for us, so to speak. Others, most recently Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk, seem to believe it could very well be our demise.

At any rate, we are on the brink of a full blown technological revolution, we are dabbling in AI, processing power is ramping up, 3D printing is gaining a lot of traction, its quite astonishing. I look forward to watching it all unfold.

edit on Cpm6Wednesday0520152731Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:05:27 -06002015 by CagliostroTheGreat because: ended a sentence w/ a preposition? come on man!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If Mario was really self aware, then he would be aware that Princess Peach doesn't want anything to do with a short, fat, swarthy Italian plumber. Sure, she may feign interest in him in order give him the motivation to save her from Bowser, the turtle King of Koopa. However, once that happens, she is as good as gone from his life.

By the way, I still have my NES game from the 1980s (the one that came with Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt). It's in perfectly good condition and was still working last time I checked, which was a couple of years ago.

edit on 1/21/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
They need to do this with the sims! lol. so you feel guilty for killing them. imagine. WHy did you se tme on fire!! it burns it burns! why did you program me to feel pain!!!! muwhahahahaha!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As an addendum to the OP, here is another article from IFLscience that discusses the teams plans to integrate Luigi, Mario's brother, into the experiment.

As Fabian Schrodt, one of the brains behind Mario Lives!, explains to The Verge, it’s not the artificial intelligence that makes the project interesting, since Mario isn’t that different to a generic computer opponent. Rather, it’s the combination of AI programming with principles from psychology that makes it unique.

Schrodt says that they are now extending this work with a follow-up project in which Mario and his companion, Luigi, are able to communicate with one another, sharing information as they go and thus teaching each other new things. Mario Lives! An Adaptive Learning AI Ap

Computer Scientists Generate A Self-Aware Mario That Can Learn And Feel

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat
How is it they did not get mario's voice right. I mean its practically on autotune out there on the net. Its one of the most recognized voices of this current generation, they could probably find it on some site somwere for all the voicing mario has done in videogames in the past 40 years. I still remember playing mario 64 when it first came out, it was practially the first game to do the whole new 3d level thing right. You could even play with his face at the start screen and pull on his nose and make him do all kinds of things. And if you stopped doing that, and not touch the controller for a few minutes he would fall asleep and start snoring i think.

In all its bound to come to this sort of stuff. I mean games like little big planet or others are sort of hinting at it. The only thing is that there is no real market of these sort of games yet, only a few would buy it. But I was hoping that it would not come out. That would just lead to the death of more outside play more so then ever. Imagine if they did a Pokemon game were you could actually train your pokemon instead of stupid rudimentary commands. That # would sell like hotcackes here, and especially in places like japan.

You could do a whole bunch of those types of games eventually. Even have sims type games were they actually learn and adapt to there virtual world, even when your not playing it. It would lead to a mass exudus of couch potatoes not leaving there couches even more so then they are now. Between this and the new virtual reality Morpheus and Oculus Rift. Reality will become even more obsolete then ever.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Here's hoping he doesn't learn of the existence of Kaizo Mario.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni
Oh man! Don't encourage them, you know if somebody gives them the idea. Somebody somewhere will think its a great idea to make Mario terminators, if they but could. Being jumped squished to death like a gumba? Not a pretty way to go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join