It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Create Self Aware Mario

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Researchers create 'self-aware' Super Mario with artificial intelligence

This is really cool. Ever since I was a kid, playing these games for hours, I always wondered if Mario knew what was going on in there. Did he think or feel? Did he ever get hungry, happy, sad? Well now, thanks to researchers at Germany's University of Tübingen, I can finally get the answers to my childhood meanderings.

The Mario Lives project was created by a team of researchers out of Germany's University of Tübingen as part of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence's (AAAI) annual video competition. Each year the competition showcases videos from researchers and scientists from around the world that demonstrate "exciting artificial intelligence advances in research, education, and application."

The video also demonstrates Mario's ability to learn from experience. When asked "What do you know about Goomba" —that's Mario's longtime enemy in the Super Mario series —Mario first responds "I do not know anything about it."

But after Mario, responding to a voice command, jumps on Goomba and kills it, he is asked the question again. This time, he responds "If I jump on Goomba then it maybe dies."

If Mario were actually self aware he would probably grow to resent his limbo status. I can't imagine being trapped in world 1-1 for eternity.

And I'm also curious as to how Mario feels about killing goombas. Does he regret it or does he enjoy it?

edit on Cpm3Wednesday4720150731Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:47:07 -06002015 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide a typo

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Star and flag sir.. very cool to say the least, could set a new ground for gamimg in the future. Nice post

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Somehow I expected Mario to sound a bit different.

Being a huge fan myself this is pretty awesome to see. Last I heard they a working on a new game console (Nintendo) and are planning to release a new Mario with it. One day maybe we will get the chance to play with the new self aware Mario.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LongishLongo

Indeed. Future AI in gaming will likely become so advanced as to be barely distinguishable from a human opponent. It is certainly an interesting field to watch.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This isn't Nintendo sponsored lately they been being real assholes about using their intellectual property for anything. I hope they don't bugger into this because I think it is awesome and may draw people into becoming more interested and excited about AI and gaming, as some may know I am a huge game fanatic especially retro but pretty much all games, I think this is super rad. Thank you OP for sharing this

Mario says Green mushroom good

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Yeah, I guess their program doesn't have an "Italian plumber" setting.

Nintendo gets a lot of flack but I have always been a Nintendo nerd, I want to see nothing but success from them. The Mario games for the Wii U have been cool, 3D world is a lot of fun and challenging, especially in multiplayer modes, it gets crazy.

edit on Cpm4Wednesday0220152331Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:02:23 -06002015 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide a typo

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

That would be harsh. This is a very cool project so hopefully they get left alone!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Nearing my 38th year, I grew up with Atari first and then Nintendo. I will always be loyal to them first and feel the way you do about their success. I think 3D world is the first Mario game that I have waited this long to get. I plan on making the purchase in the next week or so. I absolutely loved the Galaxy games that came out on the wii. The replay value on those were worth the money for sure.

If anyone has the drive to "do it first" it would be Mario's creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, I think.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Nintendo is killing themselves off by being harsh on the audience that loved them so much in the 80s, 90s, early millennium. They better start listening to their fans, and if anything, this project is only a testament to their expanded influence on the people developing this new world tech, it really is sad I wish Nintendo embraced us more, I think they should start giving scholarships to gifted kids and helping the lets plays, AI programs like this, and other endeavors, in the future they could be on top again if they could re connect with the people that made them who they are today. Your OP is quite close to my heart because I want to start breaking out in the game field very soon, I have Ideas of my own.

Remeber when ATS was doing AMA threads and they were super cool? I wish they could use their Influence for an AMA with major game companies, Its not like video games are much different then any other media these days and not HUGELY influential with probably a good portion of members here. Especially with all the talk about evil CEOS and evil corporations I would like to think that gaming companies are all for the players even though sometimes it may not look true at the least if they were to agree we would have the ability to ask such an entity their take on "reality"
edit on 21-1-2015 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

AWESOME!
s&f!

At first I was thinking it was just able to follow instructions, right up until they explained that he gets curious and explores the areas on his own and learns from that.

That is kind of crazy.
I like crazy!

If they start to implement this in games, you might end up some day talking to a game dragon who will make you feel guilty for trying to kill it and it will use reverse psychology and maybe convince you that killing is wrong, or make you turn on your game buddies....lol

Actually, who knows what kind of philosophy something like that could come up with.
Certainly interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I definitely recommend picking up 3D world, good wholesome, sometimes infuriating, fun.

Yup, Miyamoto-san is a personal hero of mine. He is truly a visionary. It takes guts, in a world saturated with call of duty clones, to make the games you want.
edit on Cpm4Wednesday1220155131Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:12:51 -06002015 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide a typo

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

Nearing my 38th year, I grew up with Atari first and then Nintendo. I will always be loyal to them first and feel the way you do about their success. I think 3D world is the first Mario game that I have waited this long to get. I plan on making the purchase in the next week or so. I absolutely loved the Galaxy games that came out on the wii. The replay value on those were worth the money for sure.

If anyone has the drive to "do it first" it would be Mario's creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, I think.

YOUR A GAMER!!!!
I luvers you more and more the more I get to know you Kangie (can I call you that) >--<
=

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

You are absolutely right about that Brotherman. They have deviated from and alienated their original fanbase quite a lot. And I think that has been detrimental to the company in a lot of respects. We can only hope that they find their way back but I will likely always be a Nintendo fan.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Its is truly an amazing field to watch develop and its happening right now, can't wait to see what the future holds for us gamers!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Hey Breh I think it will all work itself out in the end. I know awhile ago they were experimenting with using gaming as a form of education, I see lots of potential in that, hopefully they hire these guys experimenting with AI. That would prolly be a dream come true for those ppl involved. Ill always be a CTG fan too when talking games lol

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I'm an addicted marathon gamer when I find something I like to play.

I've been known to steal my "daughter's" console for weeks at a time not allowing her to play on my profile until I beat the whole game... Damn it.

It's a weakness.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I'm an addicted marathon gamer when I find something I like to play.

I've been known to steal my "daughter's" console for weeks at a time not allowing her to play on my profile until I beat the whole game... Damn it.

It's a weakness.

Do you Believe in polygamy? jk

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

That's akin to asking me if I believe in torturing myself...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

That's akin to asking me if I believe in torturing myself...

Do you? some ppl like that

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

That is absolutely stunning. This will go a long ways toward human and machine interaction and interfacing.

When Skynet does arrive, it will actually be Mario and terminators will be little fat guys that jump on our heads.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join