It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accomodation advice in Los Angeles area needed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Some local knowledge needed please.I'm taking a holiday in California in June this year and will be staying in or near Los Angeles for the last week.Can anyone recommend somewhere just outside of LA that will be nice and quiet but still reasonably easy to get into to LA every day? I was thinking of the Thousand Oaks/Calabasas/Malibu areas,or anywhere not too far away from Ventura Boulevard.Is this a good idea or will I spend more time sitting in the famous LA traffic jams than I spend actually enjoying my vacation?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I actually live just outside calabasas (or inside of it if heading towards hollywood). Avoid TO, it's really out of the way & nothing to do there (I used to work there)

Look into Studio City or Van Nuys. A pretty bustling area of ventura & a fairly easy freeway trip to LA/Hwood areas.
Anywhere on the 101, but South of the 405.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Ok thanks for that.I'd like to stay if possible somewhere with a nice view rather than in the city,say Encino or Sherman Oaks? The first would be my preferred choice from those two.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Imagewerx

Actually, there's NO way to "reasonably easy to get into to LA." It takes 2 hours to get somewhere which normally takes 20 minutes.

I'm a native since the 70s, and believe me when I say, you'll need an hour and a half head-start if you need to be somewhere at a specific time.

However... the only way to alleviate L.A. traffic, is to EXPECT IT!

If you EXPECT to sit in traffic to get from Point A to Point B... it won't feel as bad!

Enjoy your stay... and don't forget to visit the lovely City of Compton as well as the historical Watts Towers!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
There is no escape from the madness but there are places that are a little more "quiet" than others. There are small "pockets" all around town you just have to know where to find them. There's a part of Venice Beach that'[s off the beaten path where it's modeled from the city of Venice, Italy. In thhis area there are even mini canals and mini boats to ride the canals for the true Venice experience. Silverlake is a great part of town even though it's farther East than what you're asking; it's fairly quiet but there's lots of stuff to do. Culver City also has quiet pockets to hang at and so does South Pasedena. LA city is a huge place and it has about 100 smaller cities within its borders, each city having its own identity; LA county is even larger. I haven't lived there for a long time but this is what I remember. Hope it helps.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

A view of what exactly? Encino is pretty bland, sherman oaks might be your better option.
For a view of the ocean, I recommend Santa Monica or Malibu. Both are no more or no less further away than anything else really.

Previous poster makes a good point with Silverlake; if you want mountain/city views. & it's closer to real LA & hollywood than the other places we've discussed.

Be sure to check out Red Lion & Cha Cha Lounge in silverlake either way. They're two of the best bars in LA, hands down, & right across the street from each other.
edit on 21-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I live in Malibu Canyon and let me tell you if you want views... This is a good spot. It's serene, beautiful and 5 minutes from the 101 + just 5-6 minutes from Ventura depending where you're staying. This is kind of right in the middle of everything in a way because you can get on freeway and go into hollywood pretty easily if you skip morning traffic and you are just a small 10-15 minute drive from the beach. If you're into alternative (hippie) sort of life you should check out Topanga Canyon as well and look for a well reviewed Bed+Breakfast type of spot. Just my 2 cents. I love it up here in Malibu Canyon.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: the_philth
Imagewerx

Enjoy your stay... and don't forget to visit the lovely City of Compton as well as the historical Watts Towers!

Thank you I'm sure I will enjoy it,and will add your recommendations to the list.
edit on 21-1-2015 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
There is no escape from the madness but there are places that are a little more "quiet" than others. There are small "pockets" all around town you just have to know where to find them. There's a part of Venice Beach that'[s off the beaten path where it's modeled from the city of Venice, Italy. In thhis area there are even mini canals and mini boats to ride the canals for the true Venice experience. Silverlake is a great part of town even though it's farther East than what you're asking; it's fairly quiet but there's lots of stuff to do. Culver City also has quiet pockets to hang at and so does South Pasedena. LA city is a huge place and it has about 100 smaller cities within its borders, each city having its own identity; LA county is even larger. I haven't lived there for a long time but this is what I remember. Hope it helps.

Thank you,it sure does help.If it helps with travelling times and the only way is to go east,that's what I'll have to do.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

A view of what exactly? Encino is pretty bland, sherman oaks might be your better option.
For a view of the ocean, I recommend Santa Monica or Malibu. Both are no more or no less further away than anything else really.

Previous poster makes a good point with Silverlake; if you want mountain/city views. & it's closer to real LA & hollywood than the other places we've discussed.

Be sure to check out Red Lion & Cha Cha Lounge in silverlake either way. They're two of the best bars in LA, hands down, & right across the street from each other.

Anything that isn't the bloke across the road's pickup truck.I only suggested Encino from what I can see on Google maps,to the south and west of it is all open countryside.Doesn't look like much of a drive to Ventura Boulevard if I want to find something to do?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: robbystarbuck

I live in Malibu Canyon and let me tell you if you want views... This is a good spot. It's serene, beautiful and 5 minutes from the 101 + just 5-6 minutes from Ventura depending where you're staying. This is kind of right in the middle of everything in a way because you can get on freeway and go into hollywood pretty easily if you skip morning traffic and you are just a small 10-15 minute drive from the beach. If you're into alternative (hippie) sort of life you should check out Topanga Canyon as well and look for a well reviewed Bed+Breakfast type of spot. Just my 2 cents. I love it up here in Malibu Canyon.

I'm B&Bing it anyway,booking through AIRBnB which seems to give all the information you'd ever need.Found one that looks good right at the very top of Alizia Canyon.Quite a long way out though,25 miles from Hollywood according to the map.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
OOOhh I can help.

Have you meetings on LA in what part? Hollywood ? Weho? or is it for a vacation?
Is you budget 2 star or 4 star, let me know and Ill gladly help you out, I think I've stayed in every LA hotel over the years lol.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
OOOhh I can help.

Have you meetings on LA in what part? Hollywood ? Weho? or is it for a vacation?
Is you budget 2 star or 4 star, let me know and Ill gladly help you out, I think I've stayed in every LA hotel over the years lol.

Not meetings,it's a vacation with no itinary apart from Bakersfield on saturday night.Thanks for the offer,but will stay in a B&B if you know of any in that area?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

sorry no, Ive always gotten hotels. Try AirBnB

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Ok thanks,I already have.

Sooooooooooo......what's Ventura Freeway like for traffic once the rush hour has finished,or does it never finish?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Ok thanks,I already have.

Sooooooooooo......what's Ventura Freeway like for traffic once the rush hour has finished,or does it never finish?

Traffic never stops, it thins out during non-peak times and gets less congested, but it never stops. LA metro (LA county) was about 14 million when I left in 2005, I can only imagine what it is now. Refresh my memory, is the Ventura freeway the 405 or the 101? If the 405 forget any let-up in congestion, if the 101 it's a little easier to navigate if you are an aggressive driver.
edit on 22-1-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Ventura Freeway is the 101 that goes east-west.So it's very rarely this quiet then?

Going to be in a hire car,so can't be too aggressive if I want to get my deposit back.
edit on 22-1-2015 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The 101 is pretty bad. It never stops. The 405 is an absolute nightmare; it's a literal parking lot at times. If I remember correctly, the 405 starts at the 118 freeway in the valley and curves all the way down into Long Beach. Avoid the 405 if you can. The 10 is pretty bad also; that's another East-West freeway and it gets very congested; especially in WLA/ Santa Monica. My favorite freeway is the 110. It probably the biggest freeway in LA and it stretches from Long Beach through downtown LA and into Pasadena. There are tons of freeways in LA these are probably the most used however.
edit on 22-1-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

Ventura Freeway is the 101 that goes east-west.So it's very rarely this quiet then?

Going to be in a hire car,so can't be too aggressive if I want to get my deposit back.

Drivers in LA can be very aggressive and they'll walk/ drive all over you if you let them.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Ok thanks for that.I'm still looking at Encino as being on the edge of countryside but not too far from central LA,good idea or not?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join