It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conjuring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The large black metal cauldron sat over burning logs with strong boiling liquid half filling it up. A smell of the melted Metals of Steel, Gold, Mercury and Lead in that pot could be sensed for almost a half a mile all around the Castle that stood on the edge of a cliff. The other ingredients in the pot caused an odor that blended with the metals creating a particularly strange smell......
Below was a wide slow moving river that stretched from beyond the village ports of Lancarm, to past the city of Basteelle.

Between those two ports there was a small cottage near the waters edge. It lay not far from The castle on the cliff. The occupants would often smell odd things in the air coming from that Castle. Usually the smells were of plants, or meats being cooked for meals, they assumed. These new smells however caught the attention of the cottagers and of one in particular.

Lemm was a Black Smith and knew that smell of very hot or molten metals. He often worked with Iron and other Metals in His small forge in an outlying shed. For Years there He created Knives, Swords, and Axe of different sizes for the villagers and townsfolk down river from Him. Word of mouth spread helping drive His business of making Durable High Quality items. In the area He had become famous in His own time!

His personally created Weapon was a long handled wide Double Bladed Axe, with a foot long Dagger sticking up between the Blades. It was his Prize possession. Taking almost two weeks to fashion, He swore He would never give it up. Often He was asked to sell it to patrons of His Shop, but He refused to sell every time. "You wouldn't be able to afford it." Was His favorite expression on the Axe.

He thought to inquire at The Castle to see what transpired there.
He told His Wife, Teela, He would return shortly after a journey to the Castle to speak to the inhabitants. Teela was an Elf. She was pretty, small and looked even smaller when standing next to Her mate. He towered above Her and was 5 times her weight. Her beautiful green eyes widened when Her Husband spoke of His intentions.
"Are You Serious? Never before have they came to You here for any of Your Trade Goods. Why must You go to them?" She inquired of Lemm.

As Lemm took Teela into His massive arms and hugged Her, He said, "This is not so much about MY goods, I don't think, but to see what they are up to. Do You not smell the metals being worked there? I wish to see that they are not going to be any competition to My business. Also there are other smells that I cannot place."

"Perhaps You are right. However, if they desire to make items such as Yours, do not fret. There is no way they can match Your Skills!" She smilingly said.

"And You wonder why at times as to why I love You so?!" Lemm smiled back. "I shall return shortly."

With hug and kiss they shared done, He strode off towards His shop to grab His Axe, then down to the waters edge to walk along the shore line. The day was fast becoming night, and the sun sank from it's last view in the sky. The light still shown somewhat so the walking was easy, but Lemm realized He had left His lantern back in the shop. However the moon was full and high in the sky already and began to give the surroundings a bit of it's silver glow. 'No worry', He decided. 'The night will be well lit by the Moon.'

Onward He walked towards the Castle. He was always wondering what the place looked like inside as He had never been in there before. He had been in the court yard outside the front Gate before rattling the steel barrier tying to rouse those inside last year, but no one came out. Even hollering loudly got no response. He thought that odd, at the time.

He climbed the hill up towards the castle and smelled death. Dead alligators, snakes, and other animals lay all around near the waters edge. A lot of the meat was gone from the carcasses but what remained smelled bad! He wrinkled His nose as He climbed around and up past the bodies.

Soon He approached the Outter Gate. He grabbed the bars to begin rattling it and it opened right up! He looked around, up at the castle noticing a lighted room high above the ground in a fore tower. He walked closer to the building and knocked on the door. It too swung open easily!

'What gives?! This is most strange.' He thought to Himself. 'Perhaps I sho....!!'

Just then He heard a scream of pain come from across the room and filter down from a sprawling stairwell directly ahead. It was leading up. He was inside the room only a short way now and froze.

'That sounded like someone, or something wounded crying out!' He thought nervously.

In a dark corner was a wide leather seat piled with 3 Human Bodies. Dead Bodies at that! They were cut up and their clothing was shredded almost to being none existent.

He walked Very slowly turning His head from side to side quickly looking for any presence there that may wish to harm Him. No movement could be seen. He reached and slowly crept up the winding stairs. He must have walked up eight or nine stories before He could even see the top. Once seen, He again stopped. Creeping slowly He rose another few stairs and could already hear noises coming from across the wide room in the top of the tower.

Now He spied Three Robed Figures leaning over a boiling Cauldron tossing small items into the mix. Smoke wafted out of an open window nearby. They called out some items as they threw them into the pot all the while chanting. The chanting sounded eery. It gave Lemm chills to hear the sounds of spoken word mixed with buzzing, and snarling sounds.

"Eyes of newts,
razor teeth of lions,
wings of bats,
power of scrying.

Claws of Bear,
feet of gators,
skin of snake,
attitude of haters." was heard from where Lemm was.

"Along With the mixture of melted metals before us,
send this churning mass into the Eye of Horus!"

The body of a wild boar lay on the floor near the pot. An alligator missing a fore arm was also seen, along with dead rabbits, raccoon, rats, owls and numerous other animals. On the floor, Under the window on the opened river side of the tower lay a dead Human. Torn to shreds. A truly ghastly sight.

A floor board under Lemm's slow footstep creaked loudly!

(Continued...)

edit on 20-1-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
(Cont...)

"What is the meaning of this!? Who are You and what do You want!?" A shrill voice screamed at Lemm.
Two of the hooded ghouls turned away from the pot and slowly approached Lemm.

Going rigid and feeling uneasy, Lemm returned an answer. "I am Lemm the BlackSmith. I live nearby and only wanted to inquire as to the aroma wafting over My Cottage this night. It comes from here."

"Yes We know it does. Do You think us fools!?"
The one still beside the pot growled. He turned back to the boiling liquid and chanted some more. Returning the sound of a buzzing bee mixed with a snarling lion. It was very unsettling to listen to, Lemm thought.

The others two began to speed up their approach with arms extended in front of them. They were snarling and their eyes were opened wide! Lemm could see the verticle slits in their yellow colored orbs!

Lemm lept forward swinging His mighty axe horizontally taking off the Heads of Both Attackers in one Swing! Their bodies dropped to the floor.

The last Ghoul looked in the direction of the commotion and glared at Lemm! He threw one last handful of something into the rapidly boiling pot and ran for the open window . As He did so, Lemm instinctly turned to the stairwell thinking He could be to the bottom floor right after the Robed Conjurer hit the ground. The Cauldron boiled over onto the floor and began to ignite the wooden floor boards.

The Robe opened up and the Ghoul glided down towards the rivers edge. He touched down just as Lemm came racing out of the Castle. Only a short way across the lawn towards the Gate Lemm heard the loudest explosion He had ever heard in His Life! It was so loud it made His ears ring for days following this night.

He turned to the castle after being knocked to the ground by the blast's shock wave shielding himself from falling debris and saw the entire tower blown to bits. The front of the castle was missing as well!

BUT, standing there on the cliffs edge was an immense strange looking beast. It towered higher than the remaining nine stories of the Castle.

"It had Very Wide Spread Leathery wings and breathed Fire high into the night sky while letting out the loudest earth shaking roar You could imagine!" Lemm would tell His future customers.

"It must have stood over One Hundred Feet tall sitting on it's hind legs! The thing had wings wider than you could see in a straight glance. Even from where I stood, I had to look nearly from my left to My right shoulder," He would say excitedly as He mimicked the movements, "and even then I did not take it all in!! The fire it breathed could be seen and the ground shook when it roared for miles in all directions!!" He continued. "Then it simply took flight off the cliff edge and flew out of sight! I know Not where it resides today! Beware!!" He would say while squinting one eye and a wicked look in His other.

By this point the customers would either usually be wide eyed and wanting to hear more, or thought Lemm to be so full of it that they would never believe the tale even after seeing all of that with their own eyes. Some even spoke of such a thought.

"Believe You Me," Lemm would say to that, "You would not want to see anything at all like what I saw. You would go unconscious straight away, or soil Yourself as You high tailed it out of there!!"

He never told anyone, not even Teela, that indeed He soiled Himself that night and had to dive into the river before reaching Home. Then He reached the door of His cottage, opened it, walked in and sat at the table. Teela was awake and saw the flames, heard and felt the mighty roar, and was forever a cautious Elf when outdoors! She did not see what caused the actions from where She was around the bend and up river from that castle.

Lemm would tell Teela the amazing tale of the Beast, he would later Name Dragon. He loved how the story made Her cuddle up to Him tightly tucked under one of His huge arms and up against his chest. He Would purposely tell that Tale a few times in one day, just for that reaction from Her!

Beware the Fire on the Horizon!............

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Lovely story. Lucky guy married to an Elf.

P

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Lucky I know right Pheonix?! LOL!!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Bravo dear Syx! Great story!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Well Thank You My Little Elven Friend!! Thank You Indeed!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Um... the title is also a scary movie about a haunting. Did you know that? LOL

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Yes, I liked it very much.. almost soiled myself...

FnS

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yah I knew that Night. But Thx.
Zatara had mentioned Wizards Magicians and Sorcerers using parts of Dragon eggs in their Conjuring Spells in The writers thread, and I was intrigued so I went with The Conjuring. It is also an older MegaDeth Song title! Rock On Dave!!!

I only had the first couple paragraphs here done really from a couple months ago starting with: Lemm was a Black Smith and...
and the next one. Even those got changed somewhat to fit this. It was just going to be about The Battle Axe, but After thinking up some changes to make it a Birth of Dragon type Story, I ended up with this one. LOL!!
edit on 21-1-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Lol!!! Well I'm glad You didn't though!!! LOL!!!

Glad Ya liked it Zatara!!! Thanx for reading!

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Ummm...Very nice story SyxPak...I was almost expecting the three fates at the cauldron...busily passing around their singular eye...
I love the mix of alchemy and magic...I've always been fascinated by metalwork...although it's been a real long time since I've had the chance to do any forge work...
Thank you for bringing those memories back to me...and while it was only some wrought iron latches and strap hinges...I did on occasion imagine that it was sword and axe under the ring of hammer and anvil...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

You are Welcome! I am glad I was able to inadvertently bring back some of those Memories for You! I miss the smell of hot Steel.
I was a welder and loved that smell of Melting Steel in the morning! Take it easy, Syx.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Great story!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Thanx Q! Glad Ya liked it!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

You're alive?!

Haven't seen you for awhile!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

LOL Yah Bro I'm alive and kickin' still!!

top topics

join