It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘American Sniper’ Complaints Grow in Hollywood: Should Clint Eastwood Be Celebrating a ‘Killer

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick
a reply to: Tangerine

I believe I am celebrating a man (Simo) who defended his homeland against Nazi invaders. Do you not feel that what he did was appropriate? Should he have allowed them to waltz in unoppossed? How many lives did he save?

War is brutal but is sometimes necessary to protect those who are unable to protect themselves. He was not an invader...he was a defender of his countrymen. Where do you find guilt in that?

It's your deification of his killing skill that I question.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Tangerine
I assume you realize that you're celebrating a killer and all that means. On some level, it seems irrelevant that that which he did was legal.

Do you have the same objection to people who will be "celebrating" Obama tonight when he stands up to give his speech?

And yes. Soldiers are supposed to kill. It's a war, not a tea party.

I am celebrating our freedom, and those who stop our enemies from trying to take it from us.

Yes. It's interesting that you're trying to make this about politics. It's about admiring killing. And if you can't distinguish between being glad that the Nazis were stopped (temporarily) and the lust with which some people admire prolific killers, I don't know what to say. On some level, this really isn't that different from admiring illegal serial killers.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
The only reason we went there is so that corporations and companies like blackwater and Haliburton could make billions.

You guys do realize that Haliburton made close to $50 billion off the Iraqi war alone...and hey guess who's a part of Haliburton....Dick Cheney.

Umm maybe you should look at how much Heinz makes off the military. You know that little food company owned by Kerry's Family?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

originally posted by: amazing
The only reason we went there is so that corporations and companies like blackwater and Haliburton could make billions.

You guys do realize that Haliburton made close to $50 billion off the Iraqi war alone...and hey guess who's a part of Haliburton....Dick Cheney.

Umm maybe you should look at how much Heinz makes off the military. You know that little food company owned by Kerry's Family?

Maybe you should consider the likelihood that they're all in it together.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I assume you realize that you're celebrating a killer and all that means. On some level, it seems irrelevant that that which he did was legal.

Do you have the same objection to people who will be "celebrating" Obama tonight when he stands up to give his speech?

I am celebrating our freedom, and those who stop our enemies from trying to take it from us.

Yes. It's interesting that you're trying to make this about politics. It's about admiring killing. And if you can't distinguish between being glad that the Nazis were stopped (temporarily) and the lust with which some people admire prolific killers, I don't know what to say. On some level, this really isn't that different from admiring illegal serial killers.

No that's not quite it and it's a rather narrow view on the phenomenon, IMHO. People have always admired the courageous among us, from the knights to the Audie Murphys to the Alvin Yorks. It's those who go above and beyond or face one's foe or bring victories be those victories be on the jousting field or gridiron or battlefield that somehow inspire people.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: crustyjuggler27

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Annee

Remember the scene where Ryan Job gets shot in the face and then they take him to Ramadi medical for resuscitation? That was me--I was the doc that was there.

I think you're a stand-up guy.

Even though we rarely agree, especially politically, and BTW I'm no pacifist.

This movie should only be judged on whether its a good movie or not.

I think we'd have more in common if we sat down and had a beer or seven. typing over the internet lacks the give and take and mutual understanding that a genuine conversation has.

hey doc. i havent met you but i have met many docs. i love you guys. all of you. as a Marine i cant thank you guys enough for the things you guys do for us.

Thanks. As a former enlisted 0311 myself, I always made sure I deployed green-side.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

... but overall not bad for a Hollywood production.

All hollywood productions are bad.
Too bad it will once again be one of the few industries to actually make money during the next depression.

They are one of the few industries that made money during the first depression (by that I mean the great depression of 1929). When times are crappy, people want escape and the entertainment industry provides that.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick

I believe I am celebrating a man (Simo) who defended his homeland against Nazi invaders. Do you not feel that what he did was appropriate? Should he have allowed them to waltz in unoppossed? How many lives did he save?

War is brutal but is sometimes necessary to protect those who are unable to protect themselves. He was not an invader...he was a defender of his countrymen. Where do you find guilt in that?

Point of order. Simo Hayha was defending his homeland against Soviet Invaders--Russians. Carry on.

www.simohayha.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

We live in a culture in which "verified kills" are something to celebrate. I wonder if those who celebrate this would care to comment about why this is something to admire.

I don't know if "celebrating" is the right word. I don't see anything wrong with admiring the guy as a soldier though.

See soldiers get a bad rap. It's a job that nobody wants to do, but somebody HAS to do. Since the first cities were built there has to be somebody standing watch on the walls.

And let's not forget, he killed people that were trying to kill him first.

There is so much self righteousness in this thread.

On some level, this really isn't that different from admiring illegal serial killers.

Ummm. No it isn't. No matter how much you want it to be.

I've been shot at and I've pulled the trigger on others. You are talking about something that you have no idea what you're talking about.
edit on 21-1-2015 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
For all the knuckle draggers out there in the peoples republic of California ALL military are killers, thats what they do, thats why we need them. If our military isn't out killing bad people those bad people will come here and kill you. It's not rocket science.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

They would have called people like this man only a few years ago, a credit to his country and applauded when home and given every bit of respect for defending his country.

Now all we hear is how people have disgust in something they do not understand and would never find them on the battlefield. You can see how respect is being lost because people in general are lost. With propaganda from those like ISIS and intent from those same threats subconsciously effecting peoples views, like questioning the disgusting tragedy of 9/11. They now have people saying odd things like this, making out a great man helping many other soldiers live to reach their families.

I hate hearing questioning like this. Good post.
edit on 21-1-2015 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I liked the Film. To me it was more about Life of a Sniper, what he goes through, not just the fact he is a 'killer', he is more than that. Taking people out who deserve the bullet! He has a home-life too, a wife who he needs to be there for even though he is putting his life at risk. A baby on the way who he wants to be there for.

it takes guts, bravery and courage to do what he does.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
No, Kyle is not a hero. Heck everyone who came from home from the war is not a hero. Just because you saved a life or did something does not mean you are a hero. Just because you had a heroic moment doesn't mean you are a hero. The mainstream media and people nowadays need to go back to greek mythology and literature and learn what a hero is.

making a hero out of Kyle, who said: “The enemy are savages and despicably evil,” and his “only regret is that I didn’t kill more.” Kyle made the statements in his best-selling book, “American Sniper,” on which the film is based

This statement by him is a bit ignorant indeed. Ignorant because he only targets a specific culture/group of people. Though yes many of the people he fought were savages (sending kids out to blow themselves up, murdering people against their beliefes, etc), the US was the one that broke into their doors and began to destroy their home. I would become a savage against someone if they broke into my house and began to destroy my land.

But, that is not the point. Humans in general are savages and evil. Islamic people aren't the only ones who are savages. So are white people (mass genocides, concurring and pillaging the world and causing suffrage, slaver, etc). Then the same can be said about other cultures and races.

I really liked the move and Kyle's goal. It seems like Kyle wanted to save lives (soldiers lives) and that is why he was persistent into having more tours. We need more people who would stand up and protect their own kind. But instead of protecting one kind or section...we need people who would protect all of man kind...

LOL, causing suffrage. Sorry mate, you need a dictionary.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I liked the Film. To me it was more about Life of a Sniper, what he goes through, not just the fact he is a 'killer', he is more than that. Taking people out who deserve the bullet! He has a home-life too, a wife who he needs to be there for even though he is putting his life at risk. A baby on the way who he wants to be there for.

You do realise the film is fiction right?
It's not real... mostly not true.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Just because you create a warped analogy doesn't mean it's valid.

This whole topic is about politics.

Far left liberals attack the soldiers fighting for our country.

It's not news or even unexpected.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

jessee is that you?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Sure some attack the troops personally, I think more go after that rhetoric that they are fighting for our freedoms and our country.

Yes that is the purpose of them, that when the time comes they will go.
But at this point we all know that Iraq and Afghan were pretty much based on lies and we were taken advantage of in the fervor of 9/11 and getting these bad guys.

So what freedoms are they fighting for there?

I know it's not their fault they went, I still respect the men and women but won't bent over backwards to call them all hero's and act like they are defending me.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

You do realise the film is fiction right?
It's not real... mostly not true.

Who is Chris Kyle?

What I posted is still true. It shows what anyone in the Army has to go through.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Jamie1

Sure some attack the troops personally, I think more go after that rhetoric that they are fighting for our freedoms and our country.

Yes that is the purpose of them, that when the time comes they will go.
But at this point we all know that Iraq and Afghan were pretty much based on lies and we were taken advantage of in the fervor of 9/11 and getting these bad guys.

So what freedoms are they fighting for there?

I know it's not their fault they went, I still respect the men and women but won't bent over backwards to call them all hero's and act like they are defending me.

Our interests are sometimes served by liberating others from tyranny.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Man oh, man Leni Riefensthal would be proud! Latest fluff piece for the military industrial complex and propaganda for two failed wars (one of which was ILLEGAL) and thousands of wasted brave Americans. I wonder if good old Clint put in the fantasy that Kyle LIED about when he said he punched Jesse Ventura.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join