It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple singing Peppa Pig to toddler forced off bus for "racism"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Sounds familiar... you can't say that the British press is worse than American press... say it isn't so!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Why didn't the couple wait for the police to arrive and make counter allegations of harrassment and an affront to their freedom of speech?

I will tell you why!

South Yorkshire Police said it was not investigating the incident.

In fact, the driver didn't seem to be making it a racial issue either.

'The driver told us he heard no reference to racism but we are investigating the incident and have not yet drawn a conclusion.'

So just the Mail, then. Surprise, surprise.

link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Yeah there was definitely an overreaction in that thread as well.

link   
Wasnt it the Daily Mail recently that created uproar about 4 out of 5 of our nurses being foreign, like it was some kind of invasion, but failed to mention it's because our government doesnt want to pay to train nurses and would rather steal them from other countries.
Although to be honest that could have been the Sun newspaper.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

yea, I have taken to checking dates recently

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Is that how you treat all women? Nice.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Nice!!!

Hardly surprising imo.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Lol at the overreactions about a story from last year!

'last year' was 19 days ago mate. Yea it's a story from October, I searched to confirm it hasn't been posted here; and what does it matter when it happened, if it's relevant ?

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Why didn't the couple wait for the police to arrive and make counter allegations of harrassment and an affront to their freedom of speech?

Way too one sided imo.

I don't know about your experience, but the British half of my family are some of the most non-confrontational people I know of. I can easily see them just wanting to avoid the problem and catch the next X78, then later being upset at being bullied.

Personally, I would have said "please call the Police then!" and argued my case.

Snopes says the outcome is undetermined, but that the couple were indeed asked to leave the bus. The bus driver is claiming 'racism' was never mentioned, but I have a feeling he is covering his ass now. To many people in the UK are scared silly at the R word; I'd wager he just lacked the guts to deal with the situation properly.

www.snopes.com...

edit on 19-1-2015 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Too many folk taking the couple's and Daily Fail's word for it, we are getting nowhere near the full story here. The good old Daily Mail never let the truth get in the way of a good hate mongering story y'know.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

You may be right about not wanting involvement with the Police.

Maybe they just wanted to get their daughter home after a long day of epilepsy tests.
I know that would tire me out.

I'm also not denying it happened how they say, at the same time I'm not quite there at believing this is the full story.

The Daily Mail has a habit of being a bit one sided when it comes to stories involving Muslims...
& the only other source I found was from Sheffield which is also, according to the comments section, kinda biased.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
And the other passengers............did nothing........?? They should have just stayed on the bus and if the police turn up,explain. They did nothing wrong so cannot be accused of singing kiddy songs, that isn't forbidden. Yet.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Tell that to Boko Haram and IS.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

That there is somewhat ridiculous.

Being thrown off the bus was a breach of contract between themselves and the bus company. They bought a bus ticket, and had every right to travel using that document as a proof of sale of the journey time. The way I look at this, is that the bus driver illegally penalised this couple for doing what they could to placate their autistic daughter. I know enough about autism to know that when a child who has it, is feeling upset, stressed or agitated, it is necessary for parents to try to soothe their tempers. WHATEVER a parent has to do, short of punching a random person in the neck, to calm an autistic child, cannot be and should never be grounds to have them removed from a bus, or any other damned place!

ETA:

Having read my post, I realise that I have failed to clearly express my entire opinion here. Clarification follows.

Because of the source from which this story comes, I cannot be certain that we are getting the whole story. The fact that the police are not involved, and that the bus driver is not reporting this to have been a racially charged scenario, I think there may well have been some other element to this which has been, as of yet either overlooked, or more likely obfuscated by the press.

Forgive the hastiness of my post, I am also about several other endeavours which are taking a certain percentage of my neural processing potential, in order to effectively perform.

edit on 19-1-2015 by TrueBrit because: clarified position.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Omg that thread was started by someone who thought we would all rah rah around the guy for doing what he did. Let it go, be mad at the op that rehashed it not the reactions of people who saw it for the first time.

The op event sounds blown up, I doubt it really happened that way

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
when in Rome, chase off, kill off or otherwise annoy the natives and then take over their country. Muslims in a nut shell.

edit on 19-1-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I would not have left the bus. Simple as.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That there is somewhat ridiculous.

Being thrown off the bus was a breach of contract between themselves and the bus company. They bought a bus ticket, and had every right to travel using that document as a proof of sale of the journey time.

I can't help it. I see people mention contract law... well, it's like a red rag to a bull.

First of all, yes it's a contract. Which mean there are terms for both parties to follow. In fact, those terms are broadly similar across most (if not all) bus services in the UK.

The bus company here appears to be First South Yorkshire. And here's a page with a link to their conditions of carriage:

www.firstgroup.com... ons_of_carriage/

To save you having to wade through the document, here are some useful excerpts.

----------------------------

2.6 Any passenger in or on a Vehicle who is reasonably suspected by the driver or Company official of breaching the Conditions of Carriage shall, on demand, give his name and address to the driver, Company official or any police officer and produce such identification as may reasonably be required to indicate that the details given by him are true.

2.7 Any passenger breaching the Conditions of Carriage may be removed from, or asked to leave the Vehicle by the driver, Company official or any police officer.

4.2 No passenger or intending passenger shall:
[snip]
m) When on the Vehicle, use or operate any musical instrument or sound reproducing equipment or make or combine with any other person or persons to make any excessive noise by singing, shouting or otherwise, in a manner which is likely to cause annoyance to other persons;

4.4 Passengers causing a nuisance or inconvenience to any person travelling on, boarding or alighting the Vehicle, including a driver or other Company official, may be refused entry or may be removed from or directed to leave the Vehicle at the driver's or Company official's sole discretion, in which case the Company accepts no
liability and no refunds shall be made. Passengers causing a nuisance or inconvenience will be liable for any costs incurred by the Company or by other passengers as a result of such nuisance or inconvenience.

----------------------------

I agree entirely that, if the story is taken at face value, it was a ridiculous outcome. But it seems very likely, in any version of events, that the passengers were in breach of para 4.2(m) at least, 4.4 possibly as well.

Please be careful making sweeping statements about legality without actually checking. It's a pet peeve of mine, as ATS members might have noticed by now

I should clarify that I'm not intending to pick on you, TrueBrit, it just seems like we've got tangled up in the same few threads in recent days!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SearchLightsInc
I would not have left the bus. Simple as.

If they want you off the bus, you're getting off the bus. Simple as. The law is on their side in this case, and there are specific regulations in place to require a passenger to leave a public service vehicle when directed to do so by the driver or a police constable.

Kicking up a fuss or being stubborn and refusing to move won't stop it happening eventually, it will just prolong the affair and annoy everyone else.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

A statement from First does confirm that the argument was between the couple and an "Asian lady", as seen on the bus CCTV, so while the driver may have been unaware of what was said, that particular factoid from the incident does hold up.

he investigation is ongoing but we have viewed CCTV footage. It does show the customer leaving the bus at the location he describes and it does show a conversation between a lady customer on the bus and the driver, and the driver speaking to the customer.

We're speaking with our driver and with the customer to clarify the circumstances in which they left the bus. At this point I'm not in a position to confirm that they were forced to leave.

It is clear they left the vehicle. The driver responded to a customer complaint on the service. There was a single complaint from a passenger, she was an Asian lady.

The driver told us he heard no reference to racism but we are investigating the incident and have not yet drawn a conclusion.
Read more at www.snopes.com...

I have trawled the interwebs and it seems that there isn't a single follow up piece of journalism for this story that I can find. All seem to be around the same time and then die off.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I would never suspect you of picking on me EvillerBob. You value truth, and I respect the ever loving hell out of that, and out of you!

I have to say, I find that the idea of being able to be thrown off a bus simply because you are doing what amounts to lullabying a child to calm them, is somewhat awful, but if it is legal for a bus company to do so, then the law is the law. While my respect for what is legal, as opposed to what is just, is relatively minimal, I can see exactly where they would have come afoul of the two paragraphs you mentioned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join