It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clueless who to vote for in the the UK GE?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

edit on 3/2/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

It's a joke ain't it.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Labour sounds good, based on that list, however, the last Labour government trashed the UK, remember Tony Blair, Iraq, unsustainable immigration and now Milliband who is neither credible nor voteworthy. Added to that the possibility of an SNP coalition, heaven forbid, Sturgeon /Salmond would literally trash England and milk it for all it's worth. I would probably just move from the UK.

ETA saying that isn't advocation of any other parties, should anyone presume so. No straw arguments thank you.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

The Green party might have some good ideas but those are offset by plenty of radically terrible ideas. Such as:

t elegraph
pro immigration
pro terrorism
abolition of monarchy (they produce revenue and also add a sense of cultural identity and promote tourism)
reduced border controls
no NATO
no real defence (''home defence'' instead of army and navy etc)
increased international aid
assisted dying
liberalisation of abortions, could be done by nurses
decriminalised class A and B drugs
decriminalised sex industry
legal raves
reduced imprisonment
prisoners allowed to vote
no duty free
taxes on presents
£71 a week for everyone in the UK regardless of citizenship
zero or negative growth economy
higher council taxes
taxes on travel especially air
engine running in traffic made illegal

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Well let's have a look at them;

Good ideas;

legal raves

So so ideas;

abolition of monarchy (they produce revenue and also add a sense of cultural identity and promote tourism)
assisted dying

bad ideas;

pro immigration
pro terrorism
reduced border controls
no NATO
reduced imprisonment
no duty free
taxes on presents
higher council taxes

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

They are all terrible ideas IMO.

I teach FE and HE.

If there was legalised class A and B drugs, legal raves, decriminalised sex industry, legal abortions, and less and lighter prison sentences it would not fare well for the general development and moral progress of the younger generations, especially young women, it might well read as a recipe for sexual exploitation.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

For various reasons - not least because I don't want to derail this thread - I'm not going to go into details why I think they are good or bad ideas.

Start a thread on it of you want and I'd gladly contribute.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I agree with the Green Party on abolition of royalty simply because I don't believe for one single minute that they create nearly as much money as they actually cost us. Take the last royal wedding and what it cost our economy and the tax payer when you consider the real cost of royal security. OK they pay tax - but even that's a joke. As Charlie earns something like £19 million pa it beggars the question, why should he benefit from the tax payers at all but he does...

Randy Andy is trying to get his daughters peachy little royal jobs so they can get away with doing precious little and live at the expense of the tax payer. People forget the Queen mother died owing something like £1,000,00 in gambling debts? A comparison with the money the French earn from the public vising their royal palaces, will show they know how to make their royal palaces actually pay millions of euros each year and their palaces are gorgeous and well maintained. Even Germany and other countries earn considerably from their castles and ex royal houses. We get told a load of twoddle about what they actually earn us and our queen has a huge press office designed to present an image she thinks we should all be subject to.

I also can't agree with you concerning assisted dying. How someone chooses to die is not something government has ever consulted the people just dictated to us about. We put animals down humanely to prevent suffering and in my book its the individuals business not the state.

Prison is useless except for keeping violent and genuinely dangerous people away from the public.

People forget its actually part of our heritage to take drugs - sorry but it was common practise and the arbitrary criminalisation again we haven't been consulted on. It benefits big pharma though and the church who certainly wouldn't want people journeying to god via the shamanic method of plant and drug intake.

Why dont you want people who like raves to enjoy themselves you dont have to go rave? Were drugs, raves etc etc taxed properly I doubt our finances would be so badly off. Afterall with their contributions and of course,we have those lovely men in the city who pay taxes to this country - well maybe - contributing their fair share like the corportions that make money here and their ceo's etc we should be out of the red and flying into the blue.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I do wonder if the last labour government, had it been conservative would not have ended up with the same situation?
Can you imagine Cameron not going to war in the gulf had his USA buddy asked him to, just like tony blair?

Conservative chancellors don;t all have brilliant records remember normal lamont. Also conservative governments are happy to leave the legislation against the bankster fraudsters and other crooks who are purely luvvies and ex school chums of manhy of those sitting in our front benches .

I rather rue the day Screaming Lord Such and the Monster Raving Luny Party ceased as his party couldn't have done a worse job.

We need finance for other people with new ideas and vision to come into politics ASAP - but I know a number of people who will vote as I intend to - to split the vote, as I can honestly say from a personal situation my family have fared no differently from either party except to get poorer. I also hope that Greece will stand its groound and tell the bankers to take a hike and get lost in the fog as I suspect it will be interesting to see whether either party will take us out of europe as a referendum can be so loaded however you vote will mean we will stay in.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Read your comment after I had posted but hope I haven't, despite my fury, helped to derail a very good discussion.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

The Royalty thing, there is plenty I suspect needs fixing in that department, but it is a cultural heritage that the UK needs and gives a sense of identity and tradition that the people have shown they respond to and it is good for tourism.

Assisted dying, is too easily manipulated and best avoided due to all sorts of implications and human nature not being very trustworthy or honest.

Drugs and raves, I have seen the damage such things have caused to people. Some raver friends from the early 90's went downhill and discovered drugs that ruined their health and their lives. I also worked for a charity housing homeless people, most of them were drug addicts stealing from people's cars and houses as a means of funding their £200 a day habit. I also saw the effects it had on them. I have seen them clinically dead on the floor from overdosing and watched as paramedics tried reviving them. The reality of drugs is not nice. Legalising them isn't in the interests of society.

People should learn how to enjoy themselves without drugs and alcohol, it is possible and makes for a much better and healthier society.

The results of alcohol and drug abuse costs the NHS and the taxpayer a lot of money each year and the last thing society needs is an emerging workforce even more trashed than they already are.

Just because there is a history of drug and alcohol use historically in the UK isn't justification of it. In the past China closed trade to the UK due to it causing its population being opiate addicts. The Victorians also suffered a similar infliction.

There is also a history of plenty of unsavoury practices in the UK, we should be thankful they stopped and look at stopping the current ills and ails of society.

The UK needs to get back on track, it has lost it's way.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

I see no problem with them.

Its the other wacko BS that stops me voting greens.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Drugs and raves, I have seen the damage such things have caused to people. Some raver friends from the early 90's went downhill and discovered drugs that ruined their health and their lives. I also worked for a charity housing homeless people, most of them were drug addicts stealing from people's cars and houses as a means of funding their £200 a day habit. I also saw the effects it had on them. I have seen them clinically dead on the floor from overdosing and watched as paramedics tried reviving them. The reality of drugs is not nice. Legalising them isn't in the interests of society.

Throwing people in prison for personal use and wacking them with life ruining criminal records does little to help the drug use problems.

Plus I think police being used to clamp down on people using abit of pot is a waste of tax payer money.

Legalising them isn't in the interests of society.

Nor is keeping them as a criminal offense.

Alternative methods are needed.

Portugal and Spain seem to be doing well. And Colorado on Canabis use has made some good progress to.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I'm voting green.

The only party to stand up to TTIP.
Will renationalise the railways,
fight climate change,
Increase science spending,
save the NHS.

but most importantly: they are the only party not owned by the banks.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I am quite liking some of what the Greens are saying but will probably vote Labour for fear of the Tories getting in again.

Well as some of the others have said I actually think some of those 'terrible' ideas are pretty good ideas and some of them are obviously right wing spin on left wing ideas, do you really think they are PRO terrorism?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

They do not even like the word ''terrorism'' and would be gladly funding those of other nations here for it's purpose sans question.

T elegraph

Merely being a member of al-Qaeda, the IRA and other currently proscribed terrorist groups will no longer be a criminal offence under Green plans, and instead a Green Government should seek to “address desperate motivations that lie behind many atrocities labelled ‘terrorist’,” the policy book states.

Terrorism, it adds, “is an extremely loaded term. Sometimes governments justify their own terrorist acts by labelling any groups that resist their monopoly of violence 'terrorist’.”

Britain will leave NATO, end the special relationship with the US, and unilaterally abandon nuclear weapons. A standing army, navy and airforce is “unnecessary”. Bases will be turned into nature reserves and the arms industry “converted” to producing windturbines.

OPEN DOORS

“Richer regions do not have the right to use migration controls to protect their privileges from others in the long term,” the party’s policy book states.

A Green Government will “progressively reduce” border controls, including an amnesty for illegal immigrants after five years.

Access to benefits, the right to vote and tax obligations will apply to everyone living on British soil, regardless of passport. The policy book states: “We will work to create a world of global inter-responsibility in which the concept of a 'British national' is irrelevant and outdated.”

edit on 4-2-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Putting this up again as it disappeared,

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Well let's have a look at them;

Good ideas;

legal raves

So so ideas;

assisted dying

bad ideas;

pro immigration
pro terrorism
reduced border controls
no NATO
reduced imprisonment
no duty free
taxes on presents
higher council taxes

Pretty much my thoughts, I'd swap a couple around I suppose.... although things like "Pro Terrorism" and actually many of them are worded completely ridiculously and misrepresenting the views and blatantly not true.

edit on 4/2/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Added to that the possibility of an SNP coalition, heaven forbid, Sturgeon /Salmond would literally trash England and milk it for all it's worth.

I have a fear of this, which would be immensely undemocratic. The post Scottish referendum left other parts of the UK looking for political change. A Labour / Scottish coalition would stitch up England, wales and Northern Ireland. Noting that Sturgeon has already said that a Scottish MPs will vote on issues that impact England, whereas the reverse is not possible.

It's the direction of a train crash for England.

To be honest, at the moment the current Con/Lib coalition looks like the best option.

Regards
edit on 4/2/2015 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I have read the best manifesto I have seen and will vote for the omrlp.

Here is their manifesto.

The A-Z of the OMRLP Manicfesto Just a sample of what you’d get by voting for insanity… …you know it makes sense! Vote now (well, on 7th May actually). Vote OMRLP!

A.AIR bags will be fitted to the Stock Exchange immediately, ready for the next crash.

B. BRITAIN will exit Europe and join the Duchy of Cornwall to benefit from tax exemptions.

C. CAPITAL Punishment will be opposed on the grounds that it is unfair to Londoners.

D. DATA will be secured, placed in a brown bag and hidden in the PM’s socks and pants drawer.

E. ENTRANCE fees to all amusement parks would be waived to those aged 80 and over.

F. FRIVOLOUS Fraud Office setup to inspect fraud too silly for the Serious Fraud Office.
G. GREYHOUND racing will be banned to prevent the country going to the dogs.

H. HALF the grey squirrels will be painted red to increase the red squirrel population.

I. INNOCENT prisoners will be released in order to reduce prison overcrowding.

J. JOBSEEKERS will be made to stand two abreast in order to halve dole queues.

K. KIDS will be made to sit closer together on smaller desks in to reduce school class sizes.

L. LONDON Marathon free to anyone finishing in sub-2 hours wearing large clown’s shoes.

M. MEGA carwash will be created by punching holes in the roof of the Channel Tunnel.

N. NATIONAL debt will be cleared by putting it all on our credit card.

O. OAPS will qualify for a Summer Ice Lolly Allowance if temperatures exceed 70 degrees.

P. PUDDLES deeper than 3 inches will be marked by a yellow plastic duck.

Q. QUITTERS will be encouraged not to start in the first place to improve their self esteem.

R. REGULATIONS concerning car boot sales will be relaxed to permit selling of all car parts.

S.STAMP duty will be cancelled as stamps are expensive enough without having to pay duty.

T.TERRORISTS will be made to wear Bells and Horns so we know where they are.

U.UNRULY teenagers will be superglued together as if you can’t beat them, join them.

V. VEHICLES will be fitted with bungy ropes in order to save fuel on the return journey.

W. WIND farms will be created nationwide, where breaking wind will be encouraged.

X. X-RAY machines will be manned by a skeleton staff.

Y. YELLOW lines will be painted where you can park instead of where you can’t to save money.

Z. ZEBRA crossings will be made permissible to all animals wishing to cross the road.

All sounds good to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join