It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your momma and daddy may have to give away much of your inheritance to someone else

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: diggindirt

And do you know who we depend on for extra financial help when the need is as great as it is today? Who do you think we ask when the free clinic needs an extra $50k? It is the "filthy rich" we go to. And it is "filthy rich" who keep the clinic going

LOL!!!
Dude. Don't even start with me. I am a social worker. I know all about 'grant-writing' and 'fund-raisers' and kissing the asses of the super rich, and the expensive 'parties' that non-profits throw. .....

Don't. Even. Start.

How many poor people attend the fundraisers and contribute money that's used to help people?

Do you have something against expensive parties and wealthy people? They're the ones contributing by FAR the most money to non-profits AND paying the most taxes.

Do you have a moral justification for why you should get their money when they die instead of their kids?

Why are you concerned about poor people attending fund raisers? Is this of importance to you? Perhaps they have other pressing things to do like earn money? FYI I've been to a number of fund raisers which people of lower income have attended, as well as donating money to. I previously worked for a community education organisation, and a lot of our donations came from those on lower incomes. Perhaps individually their donations were less than those who had wealth, but in relation to their income I think they gave most generously.

Do you have something against lower income people? With more than 1300 posts in a month you seem to have a lot to say asking other people why they feel a certain way about things. Why is this important to you? Perhaps you could spend some time away from the keyboard working on things important to you, rather than endless posts critiquing the motivations of others. You seem to ask a lot why people post threads. Why do you? Why do you write nearly 50 posts a day?

How does this help you?
edit on 24-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

ma'am, I was in that world for a few years. The wealthy fund-raiser attendees (who do NOT pay their fair proportionate share of taxes) need to be aware that the rest of the world is suffering.

Since they (the wealthy) ARE NOT (aware that the rest of the world is suffering), their 'philanthropy' and "noblesse oblige" is nothing but lip service.

What the hell is it you think it best? Let others starve and struggle for shelter, I guess? Read my last post about potatoes - then you should get it (thickness notwithstanding).

Beyond the philosophical thought pattern I thought we were both engaged in (about which I was clearly mistaken!) I fail to comprehend how FAILING TO CARE FOR fellow humans and our planet in the name of Greed and Neurotic Acquisition is healthy.

Whatever. Enjoy the selfish life. I've done with it long ago.

edit on 1/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zngland

You walk passed an idiot shouting nonsense you restrain your violent urges because intelligence, knowledge reminds you
there is a price to freedom of speech.

What?

Sorry, I don't get your response to the analogy.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Go do a bit of volunteer work with charitable organizations in your community and you'll get a better understanding of this issue.

I was IMMERSED in the 'charitable organization' world for YEARS.

My beef is with these GOP elites who are celebrating their success in Davos right now. It is astounding, dazzlingly baffling, and ludicrously ignorant to me that the 'filthy rich' are STILL HIDING THEIR MONEY OFF-SHORE.

Do some research. Fercryin out loud. Why is it you people can't see the bigger picture?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Go do a bit of volunteer work with charitable organizations in your community and you'll get a better understanding of this issue.

My beef is with these GOP elites who are celebrating their success in Davos right now. It is astounding, dazzlingly baffling, and ludicrously ignorant to me that the 'filthy rich' are STILL HIDING THEIR MONEY OFF-SHORE.

Do some research. Fercryin out loud. Why is it you people can't see the bigger picture?

You know what? If you concentrate on local community needs and give of whatever you have to help those who are in need locally---those folks in Davos seem to fade from the mind. There are unthinking greedy people in every society and community but they are the minority. You can focus on them and spend the rest of your life being miserable because they won't do as you think they should----or you can put on your work clothes and make things better in your corner of the world.
Seeing the bigger picture? My "bigger picture" is my community and the people who make up that community, rich, poor and all the "in-betweens" as well. I can yell at the rich ones and say they aren't paying enough in taxes and beg the government to take away their money or I can work on a local basis with local organizations to help those who need a helping hand. You can't make greedy people give money. As many have pointed out, the greedy rich will hide their money but the vast majority of those you are calling filthy rich are the funding sources of the community organizations which provide much needed assistance.
I prefer to work to help those who need help rather than wasting my time complaining that someone might have accumulated a few more dollars than I've collected.
I seriously doubt whether you've been involved in charitable organizations at the board or budgeting level because if you have actually sat and tried to figure out those budgets you would know whence comes the bulk of the money those organizations handle. That's not to say that lower income people don't give money and support charities, it's to say that the bulk of the funding comes from rich folks when times are hard because they have more in reserve.
As I've pointed out before, the problem isn't that the government takes in too little money, it is that they spend far more than they take in. It ain't rocket science. It's not even the evil, greedy rich causing this problem---it's the evil, greedy politicians who want to take your money, my money and everybody's money to buy goodies for their next campaign.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

You know what? If you concentrate on local community needs and give of whatever you have to help those who are in need locally---those folks in Davos seem to fade from the mind. There are unthinking greedy people in every society and community but they are the minority. You can focus on them and spend the rest of your life being miserable because they won't do as you think they should----or you can put on your work clothes and make things better in your corner of the world.
Seeing the bigger picture? My "bigger picture" is my community and the people who make up that community, rich, poor and all the "in-betweens" as well. I can yell at the rich ones and say they aren't paying enough in taxes and beg the government to take away their money or I can work on a local basis with local organizations to help those who need a helping hand. You can't make greedy people give money. As many have pointed out, the greedy rich will hide their money but the vast majority of those you are calling filthy rich are the funding sources of the community organizations which provide much needed assistance.
I prefer to work to help those who need help rather than wasting my time complaining that someone might have accumulated a few more dollars than I've collected.
I seriously doubt whether you've been involved in charitable organizations at the board or budgeting level because if you have actually sat and tried to figure out those budgets you would know whence comes the bulk of the money those organizations handle. That's not to say that lower income people don't give money and support charities, it's to say that the bulk of the funding comes from rich folks when times are hard because they have more in reserve.
As I've pointed out before, the problem isn't that the government takes in too little money, it is that they spend far more than they take in. It ain't rocket science. It's not even the evil, greedy rich causing this problem---it's the evil, greedy politicians who want to take your money, my money and everybody's money to buy goodies for their next campaign.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I seriously doubt whether you've been involved in charitable organizations at the board or budgeting level because if you have actually sat and tried to figure out those budgets you would know whence comes the bulk of the money those organizations handle.

Well, you can doubt it all you want....but that doesn't mean it isn't true.
I have sat on focus groups, I have spoken to Boards of Directors, I have been reprimanded for my outspokenness of how they run their businesses after receiving those 'charitable' donations.

I wrote a grant for a youth program based on substance abuse education and treatment, and was awarded it - and the agency I was working for siphoned a large part of the money for MY PROGRAM off to pay the utility bills. It's bull#.

I was CHOSEN to speak at a National Conference (based on an application - RFP - that was filed without my name for a jury to review) about child development and parenting.

Have you done those things?
Would you like me to send over my resume?

EDIT: An RFP is 'request for proposals', or 'request for papers'. I have a Master's degree in Social Work. Do you?

edit on 1/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
Honey, speaking to boards and sitting in on "focus" groups or presenting papers isn't at all the same as actually sitting on that board and working with the finances to keep the organization rolling along. Had you been involved at that level, you would see where the financing originates----with rich people.
You can rant and screech all you wish about grants and focus groups but I'm talking about the place where the rubber meets the road and the hard decisions must be made. When the engineers report to the board that the foundation of the free clinic building is crumbling, the cost of materials to repair it is going to be $50k, and there is no money in the budget for this unforeseen expense---do the board members call poor people or rich people?
Let me tell you---after over 25 years of experience with this---you call rich folks because they have the resources. Grant writing is one of the least efficient means of financing anything because the original collector of the money takes a bit, then those holding the money take a bit, then the grant writer gets a percentage and then whatever is left trickles down to those who are intended to benefit. Those of us who have experience with actually handling the month to month operations figured out long ago that calling Mr. Rich and getting him to write a check directly gets the most bang for the buck because the $50k check doesn't turn into $30k due to "handling" charges.
Perhaps your reprimands came because you spoke out of ignorance of how the board actually operates. Perhaps they realized that "your" program would be dead in the water if the utility bills weren't paid? With your Masters degree, I would think that you could have figured out that if the utilities got shut off, "your" program would be in the dark.
No, I don't have a Masters in social work. I only have about 25 years of experience in working to build and maintain charitable organizations in our community such as food banks, clothing outlets, housing and medical care. From that experience I see quite clearly that the people who are going to be impacted by the latest political schemes of wealth redistribution are the ones who keep the lights on down at the local charity. It doesn't take a Masters of any kind to realize that when the resources of the "filthy rich" run out---having been taken by taxation---the local organizations will suffer.
Again I must repeat----the government doesn't collect too little money from us; they spend too much on goodies that are intended to get them reelected.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I know many people who are poor and give as much as they can afford to charity, and time too.

I really do not buy your personal story that somehow comes to the conclusion that if the FEDs raise taxes on the wealthy, then local charities will suffer. Too many common fallacies in that post for a thinking person to believe it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

I know many people who are poor and give as much as they can afford to charity, and time too.

I really do not buy your personal story that somehow comes to the conclusion that if the FEDs raise taxes on the wealthy, then local charities will suffer. Too many common fallacies in that post for a thinking person to believe it.

I never said poor people don't give to charity. In fact I think in one post I made that clear. Lots of us less-than-rich people give time, money and talents. I can assure you that nobody calls on me to write a big check because I simply don't have that sort of disposable income. But if they need someone with painting skills or carpentry skills, I will probably get a call.
But in my experience over the past few decades, when an organization is stretched thin, as most are today, it not poor and middle-income people who are able to come to the rescue. It is the "filthy rich" who get the panic calls for large infusions of cash because they have more in reserve than the rest of us.
How many boards of charitable organizations have you served?
You can believe me or not, it doesn't matter to me. It is just what I've seen personally in working with groups that offer an hand up to those who find themselves struggling.
If you can't understand how taking money from those folks lowers the amount available for charitable donations, I don't know what to tell you other than to study simple arithmetic. If you don't understand how government wastes money by taking it from us to give to others, maybe study a bit on how government grants work---how much of your actual taxes gets siphoned off for "handling fees" by each agency that handles the money. Government assistance is the most inefficient way of providing funds for any project simply because of the "leakage" in total amounts. Direct charitable giving in the community is the most efficient method of actually doing something to help others.
Again I will say it: It isn't that government collects too little money from us---it is the inefficient and corrupt distribution system they use for distribution with most of the money they collect from us going to projects that will get them re-elected.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

If you can't understand how taking money from those folks lowers the amount available for charitable donations, I don't know what to tell you other than to study simple arithmetic.

No it is not simple arithmetic. That statement you wrote is logically flawed.

I can assure my venture in Mathematics is much greater than the average American's.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I'm a full grown man, so I don't have a "mama" or "daddy." I left home at 15 and made my own damn way. I've known a few trust fund kids over the past 30 years and with two exceptions -- all have been useless T-Waffles.

I don't expect a damn thing when my parents die and frankly hope they spend whatever they have on themselves while they can still enjoy it.

Of course my people aren't part of the tiny fraction of a percent of the people of this nation who own more than half of everything, and I don't know anyone who is, so I don't care what happens to them or their money. Nevertheless, I suspect shenanigans because I know goof political operatives seldom bite the hand that feeds them, so -- whatever O does will do little or nothing to level the playing field and will in fact likely target home owners more than anyone else.

Same as ever.
edit on 26-1-2015 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

If you can't understand how taking money from those folks lowers the amount available for charitable donations, I don't know what to tell you other than to study simple arithmetic.

I can assure my venture in Mathematics is much greater than the average American's.

Great, maybe you can explain it to me. How does taking a portion of anyone's disposable income not lower the amount of money available to be used for charitable purposes? Do you actually think those rich people just won't notice that they have less money? Do you think they don't budget their money?
BTW, I said simple arithmetic. I don't doubt for a moment your math skills---what I doubt is that you are fully aware of how much local charitable organizations---those actually doing the grunt work of helping those who are in need---depend on the local "filthy rich" to keep the lights on and the money flowing when times are hard.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Great, maybe you can explain it to me. How does taking a portion of anyone's disposable income not lower the amount of money available to be used for charitable purposes? Do you actually think those rich people just won't notice that they have less money? Do you think they don't budget their money?

BTW, I said simple arithmetic. I don't doubt for a moment your math skills---what I doubt is that you are fully aware of how much local charitable organizations---those actually doing the grunt work of helping those who are in need---depend on the local "filthy rich" to keep the lights on and the money flowing when times are hard.

The military takes a huge chunk of our income and I think it would be better served helping the countries own people with basics like food and shelter.

Actually the various branches of government would be better off undone and put those trillions of funds into helping the people live a healthier life.

edit on 26-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Whatever. Enjoy the selfish life. I've done with it long ago.

It's more selfish to not pay taxes, not employ workers, and advocate for taking money from others to pay for things you want.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Cut the military and redistribute the money to the people.

Everyone on the entire planet could have mansions, cars, businesses and unlimited food with the money we spend on the military alone.

Its a waste of our livelyhood.
edit on 26-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Everyone on the entire planet could have mansions, cars, businesses and unlimited food with the money we spend on the military alone.

I wonder how much that would be?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

It would be in the trillions at least!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Should we redistribute the money back to the people who paid the taxes that paid for it?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

It would be in the trillions at least!

Actually about $2000 per person in the U.S. per year in recent years.

Definitely a poverty killer.

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join