It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can The Two U.S. Political Parties and the Corporate World Really Be So Blind To Common Sense?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I have always thought of myself as republican, but there are some things I cannot reconcile with either party. Things that seem to be obvious there should be little debate and something should get done to help the American people and the rest of the world as well. I understand that politicians are bought and sold, and there is little evidence we actually have a true republic where our representatives actually represent us or even care what we think or need. Especially if it is somehow contrary to their personal wants.
But I want to try and understand why the greater need, clearly outlined by common sense doesn't come to the front more often. Last, I know that many people disagree with the list below, but we are capable of disagreeing civiily. why are political parties so dogmatic when a not insignificant number of each party personally disagrees with the party line yet follows that line even when their own constituents make it abundantly clear they want something different?

Here are some of the things I can think of in a two minute mental exercise:
*Small government vs. big, over-intrusive, over-entitled government
*Guns DO kill people--but over-regulating them isn't the answer. Education is.
*How are all statistics showing poverty is growing near exponentially, but all one political party can do is point to how many new jobs have been created in the last six years. Jobs, of course, that include seasonal, part time, and the under-employed
*Why is ISIS still in existence with all the military power we supposedly have at our disposal?
*How is it that illegal aliens can't be called by the correct nomenclature, and why do they get to come here illegally, get a free pass, and even benefits, education, and medical care when many Americans can't even gain access to the full amount of benevolent charity our government pours on them?
*Why isn't Lois Lerner in prison?
*Why do we reward banks for their destructive behavior?
*What is it about our politicians that causes them to not see the immense common good coming from less expensive gasoline? Why do they want to tax it back up to previous high cost levels. Lemme see, cheaper gas=cheaper transportation of goods=more customers able to travel to markets and purchase said goods=more tax revenue without a tax hike=more money in the consumer's hands to spend or save=a higher portion being spent= more tax revenue without a tax hike, etc., etc?
*Why does the government allow the airline industry to raise and raise ticket prices so they can show a needed profit after all is said and done, but, as heavily regulated as the industry already is, won't someone step in and force lower prices with such dramatic fuel savings?
*Why don't the airlines themselves recognize the fact that if they lowered their prices =more consumers able to purchase tickets= fuller planes=more profit=more investment dollars to lower prices and improve quality permanently=more tickets sold= fuller planes=more profit.........
*Why is there so much agreement that the middle class is struggling and something should be done when the poverty stricken, according to most polls are near starvation and homelessness?
*Why can't the president understand we wouldn't care if he played golf every day if he got his job done with the rest of his time?
*How can we as a country tolerate politics as usual when it seems to have fallen into a quagmire stopping the opposite political party from getting what they want and winning the argument at hand as opposed to what's right and what's wrong?

I thought of several more, but decided to leave it at this. What other common sense political debates are causing the nation undue trauma, stress, and loss can you think of? It's OK if we don't all agree with them all, that's what politics is about, but there are so many that the majority would agree with and act upon if given the chance. What other things would absolutely change in our world if common sense ran our politics and daily lives?

edit on 10pm01103120151America/Chicago11 by samstone11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 04pm01043120151America/Chicago11 by samstone11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The worst problem that divides us is the I don't wan't or need something so you can't have it either mentality. Liberals want to get rid of Guns and God and Conservatives want to get rid of Gay Marriage and abortion.

I bet if we would just concede these four things to each other then we would be way less divided and then we could go after the real problems facing our country and the world.
edit on 2015/1/18 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yeah...it's really just one party.

Few minor social issue differences and there you have it...a pretend two-party system run by the corporations.

ETA: And no, they're not that blind. It's intentional, and we're the blind.

edit on 1/18/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
i couldnt have said it better myself....my goodness, this should be literally plastered EVERYWHERE. this is i believe what eveyone thinks in their hearts, and to sum your answer up with one word as to why i think it is this way.....

GREED...MONEY= the root of all evil

it is so sad when humanity cannot see the simplest of solutions to the problems we have due to money/greed.

S+F

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: samstone11
Well, if we fixed all the problems we'd have a lot less need for politicians now, right? And why would they want to make themselves expendable?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
In order to become a politician and be accepted by a party, you have to learn to conform to the rules and ideology of the party. This includes, gaining support of contributors of the campaigns. This political philosophy is the same no matter if it is Republican or Democrat. You may be able to become a small time local politician without complying but to get to congress and actually gain something for the people who elected you, you need to work with the other politicians.

The thing is the money they give out isn't paid for, this pork barrel money they use is mostly borrowed. Communities cut necessities to gain support of the people so they can force the government to pay for their unnecessary projects that stimulate contractors in their communities. It is like having a bunch of spoiled brats controlling the local communities that try to force locals into accepting some special interest projects that only benefit a small group with ties to the people running the communities. This does not happen everywhere excessively but this practice is being done in many communities throughout the country. The government does not have a bottomless pocket. They reduced government but just changed the way the money is spent, now there are contractors doing this instead of city workers.

There is so much wrong from top to bottom that it is going to be hard to fix.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I agree with Lucidity, the ONE party system knows 'exactly' what they're doing. They are not incapable, they're not blind; they do it on purpose. To create as much undue trauma and stress within the country and the world somewhat inconspicuously to keep The People confused as to how and why things are the way that they are, they do it to try and incite as many as they can to negative mind and emotional states.

It makes you FAR easier to control, and on a more fringe and conspiracy note, to feed off of.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Maybe the problem is people looking to career politicians/lawyers to solve problems that they are not competent or equipped to solve.

Sorry, but law degrees from Harvard and Columbia do not qualify somebody to manage the world's largest economy AND solve the world's foreign policy problems AND dictate our own countries social norms.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Few minor social issue differences and there you have it...a pretend two-party system run by the corporations.

A simple and lucid response.

You've done your username proud.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dezertdog

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

A simple and lucid response.

You've done your username proud.

Keep voting.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

One thing you can count on is Bi-partisan agreement when the outcome screws everybody but the political donors.

www.washingtonpost.com... nd-replenish-the-highway-trust-fund/

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

They reduced government but just changed the way the money is spent, now there are contractors doing this instead of city workers.

There is so much wrong from top to bottom that it is going to be hard to fix.

This is something I noticed as well.
When government services are privatized and the tax payers are still on the hook, it ends up being more expensive for the citizens. When you have access to other peoples money, you can charge exorbitant prices.

The Military Industrial Complex with a sloth of private contractors is example number 1 along with 200 dollar hammers.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I personally think it is because we forgot why this country was created and why it started with the policies it did. America was created so every person could know both sides of the coin, the joys of being the king of your own small kingdom and making all the rules in it, and the work and responsibility it takes to maintain it. We have allowed our freedoms to be lured away with promises of an easy life, we hire politicians to handle what should be our own very personal matters and then bitch and cry when they are bought out for a larger sum of money.

If everyone in this world just followed the 10 basic rules laid out in the 10 commandments, which you don't have to be religious to agree that they are a good way to live, and then left each other alone in their private lives I don't think we would have all the issues that we do have.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Here is Carlin on politics . . . .

Of course they are blind to common sense.

I dont vote because the voters have gotten it to the messed up place its in. . . .

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: RagnarDanniskjold
I personally think it is because we forgot why this country was created and why it started with the policies it did. America was created so every person could know both sides of the coin, the joys of being the king of your own small kingdom and making all the rules in it, and the work and responsibility it takes to maintain it. We have allowed our freedoms to be lured away with promises of an easy life, we hire politicians to handle what should be our own very personal matters and then bitch and cry when they are bought out for a larger sum of money.

If everyone in this world just followed the 10 basic rules laid out in the 10 commandments, which you don't have to be religious to agree that they are a good way to live, and then left each other alone in their private lives I don't think we would have all the issues that we do have.

"If everyone just followed the commandments of my religion we would be in better shape"

Congratulations, you've stated the reason for thousands if not millions of different wars and atrocities over the previous 5 millennia. So I'll give you some reasons as to why I don't believe they're a good way to live.

I'll start by quoting them

1 - “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2 - “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
3 - :You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4 - “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
5 - "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.
6 - “You shall not murder.
7 - “You shall not commit adultery.
8 - “You shall not steal.
9 - “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10 - “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

1. I don't believe in that God and if he is real and the Bible is accurate he is petty, vengeful, acts on a whim, and responsible for some of the worst atrocities ever written down. It is a God who has gone mad with power. There are many things I would rather put before him such as friends, family, and rational thought.

2. What's wrong with having a wood carving of an animal? I happen to be a big fan of animals, I have some book ends that look like dogs. Why is this a problem? Or to be more serious, I believe that what is trying to be said here is that one shouldn't worship stuff or be consumed in the drive to obtain more stuff. And least of all you shouldn't flaunt your stuff to others. That happens to be a message I agree with. I wonder if the Christians out there take note of this with their cross necklaces.

3. If God is all powerful and a bad experience happens to me, why can I not criticize him over it?

4. Some jobs are 24/7 such as emergency crews. Does this mean we shouldn't have 911 services on the holy day? That is a form of work. For that matter, why should we work 6 days a week? What if an employer will only work us 4?

5. No problem with this one, but I don't honor people just because of relationships. They have to earn it.

6. If we cannot murder, then why do we have the death penalty? Why do we cling to our guns with the intent of one day using them against someone in self defense, which is just another form of murder?

7. This one assumes that there's a sanctity of marriage. Statistically 50% of people commit adultery. If it's not you, it's the other person on average. Maybe instead of saying no adultery it should say people shouldn't get married unless they're actually prepared to make a real commitment to each other.

8. I like the idea of not stealing, but theft becomes more and more vague in a digital world. When objects can be freely duplicated at no material cost, and delivered to a person at again no cost. What sort of economic losses is your theft imposing on a person? It is really theft at that point or is it open access to information?

9. Telling the truth is a nice concept but people lie. I would say that the better commandment is that if you have to get involved, don't do anything that would make the world a worse place.

10. Don't keep up with the Jonses. I'm not even going to try this one because everyone except for the minimalists have failed it so spectacularly that we all deserve to go to the deepest darkest bowels of hell.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The problem is "We thePeople" are afraid to remove this criminal government as the Constitution says we should.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

We should get rid of Democrats and Republicans. Then we can have our country back.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: neomaximus10
i couldnt have said it better myself....my goodness, this should be literally plastered EVERYWHERE. this is i believe what eveyone thinks in their hearts, and to sum your answer up with one word as to why i think it is this way.....

GREED...MONEY= the root of all evil

it is so sad when humanity cannot see the simplest of solutions to the problems we have due to money/greed.

S+F

Agreed. I would add: This usurious monetary system, ensures we will all be at each others throats, for frns, when we live in an amazing world of utter abundance.

It's the principles, and the policy, to breed the 'greed' mindset, and to make everyone else resent then for 'winning'.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wish I could give you more than one star for this common sense observation.

a reply to: groingrinder

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The American political system used to work better due to its set up that worked for THIS country. There were liberals and conservatives in BOTH parties, and COMPROMISE was expected. American culture and laws could be changed with pressure, from movements, outside of govt (abolishment of the economic system of slavery, women given the right to vote, equal treatment given to groups [such as blacks in the 1960s South], etc.).

A major crack in this system appeared after the 1960s Civil Rights laws were established and the Democratic Party literally lost their Southern conservatives, who ended up in the Republican Party. Before that, Northern Democratic liberals would balance out Southern Democratic conservatives, and both co-existed for regional power but not national power. By 1980, “Reagan Democrats” appeared.

The 1980 GOP convention refused to listen to the Republican liberal voice. Liberal members would be the first to peel away from their party. By the 1990s, Southern reactionary Newt Gingrich would gain power and start the GOP reign of terror, first by formalizing GOP hatred of liberals and refusal to compromise and then attacking GOP moderates as RINOs. With a label of RINO, the Republican politician would not receive party money to campaign. Moderates would peel away next.

By subsuming the Tea Party and putting it at the forefront, the GOP made its final pact with the devil. GOP politicians who were once moderates kowtowed to gain votes. The GOP is now seen as the party of the extremist, gaining votes by appealing to what was once seen by Americans as “kooks”, such as the John Birch Society (with Tea Party overlap). BTW the Koch family helped found the JBS and now enjoys special attention from the GOP.

What we are left with is a de facto parliamentary system, with conservatives on one side and liberals on the other.

The point of the Ornstein-Mann observation is that in the typical parliamentary system, the opposition party can criticize and oppose all they want — in fact, that’s what they’re supposed to do. But the party or coalition in power — by rule — has the votes it needs to pass its bills and the executive authority to implement them (since the executive branch is headed by the prime minister, who is both a member of Parliament and the leader of the governing party).

But in the American-style system, with a bicameral Congress and an independently elected president who can veto bills with which he disagrees, it is very often the case, as at present, that no party has the votes to pass its bills without the compromise/cooperation of the other party.

U.S. or parliamentary system? One is nearly gridlock-proof — and it ain’t ours

top topics

<<   2 >>

join