It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think anything you do matters?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

i don't think i (we) matter one iota in the grand cosmic scheme. within the confines of our planet, our actions
and interactions have a directly causal effect, cumulative even if small, that has at least a degree of influence on the future development of the earth system. so we matter a great deal in that respect. what we do becomes what we are.

at our current level of (publicly acknowledged) space travel ability, it may be some time before our collective consciousness needs to worry itself about our importance in the universe.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

You've been listening to country music again, haven't you??

It does matter. Hurt someone's feelings, look into their eyes and tell someone that it doesn't matter. Feed a homeless man who hasn't eaten in a week, look into his eyes and tell someone it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter how long anything matters does it? But it does matter in the "now" and that is what matters right now.

^^^This. Awesome. Unless one is a nihilist.
edit on 1/18/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: AboveBoard

I get that time is order and without order there is chaos.

OK. But order for whom? For the physical perceptual being, for the one who is tied to time, to senses, to a brain.
But what is underneath it all? Waveforms? Empty space? Energy? Consciousness???

And yet, in story, in Archetype, in consciousness itself, we find infinite and timeless meaning. The living of life, the strutting on the stage, the Experience, the Journey - that is where we can find meaning.

But this is me, babbling again. Heck if I know the answer to your question, OneQuestion, in that I cannot answer it for anyone else except myself.

peace,
AB

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

How can you comprehend the vastness of the universe and of consciousness and still go on to continue thinking that anything you do really matters from a non karmic/ etheric perspective?

Does anything really matter? Everything we do and will do on this earth and in this universe will be destroyed, the physical memory of it will be destroyed. We are stuck on an infinite life/death loop with no hope for escape.

Keep studying grasshopper. Seek power, not authority

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Reading and contemplating will respond later.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

How can you comprehend the vastness of the universe and of consciousness and still go on to continue thinking that anything you do really matters from a non karmic/ etheric perspective?

Does anything really matter? Everything we do and will do on this earth and in this universe will be destroyed, the physical memory of it will be destroyed. We are stuck on an infinite life/death loop with no hope for escape.

I am convinced of an afterlife and how the soul retains the mind and it's memories. I don't believe in reincarnation, everyone lives only once in this physical existence and moves on afterwards. It's sheer beauty the universe cleans up after you leave and let you (and others) keep the memories.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

If everything in reality repeats in cycles

(there are only so many possible combinations)

then things can both matter (in the here and now)

and not matter one bit in the big picture... as it's

happened 1 trillion times before and will happen

another trillion times again.

Even modern physics has weighed in on this:

edge.org...

That is in my top 3 of all-time favorite concepts... it's
very grounding for me.

Kev

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
onequestion:

That's quite a nihilistic question, because in the end, nothing does matter if there is nothing else after physical death. The belief, in whichever way one does believe, that ethics and morals and behaviour all count, only come into a purposeful meaning if we continue a post-mortem conscious existence once death takes our physical body.

If there is no afterlife, where we each undergo a self-examination of our life memory, there really is no point to anything. If the oblivion of non-existence is all that there is after death, life cannot hold a purpose, and it is irrelevant whatever any of us think.

War becomes nothing more than a protective reaction in a temporary moment. The team that one supports winning the highest accolade in its sport is irrelevant, because it leads to a temporary joy, and the whole thing is reset to seek to achieve it all over again...it's just a repetitive illusion of meaning. Love is nothing more than an impermanent ethical emotion that brings male and female together to procreate and keep the species going.

Consciousness and the 'ID', a mere temporary mental construct that is snuffed out with such ease. Religion and a belief in an afterlife takes the edge off the cruelty of the notion of oblivion. Out of oblivion we came, and oblivion is our future. The only difference between the oblivion of non-existence and life awareness is that we know that non-existence is our fate some time in the future.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

I starred you for the first part of your post, but I am not a nihilist! lol!

I guess, for me, I have my own reasons in thinking of eternity...I don't try to convince anyone that they "should" too, however, so there you have it...

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
In the beginning the WORD was with God and the WORD was God.

Got to dig it out and simplify because its embedded in language which is just another form of math.

"Matter"

Matter commonly exists in four states (or phases): solid, liquid and gas, and plasma. However, advances in experimental techniques have revealed other previously theoretical phases, such as Bose–Einstein condensates and fermionic condensates. A focus on an elementary-particle view of matter also leads to new phases of matter, such as the quark–gluon plasma.[5] For much of the history of the natural sciences people have contemplated the exact nature of matter. The idea that matter was built of discrete building blocks, the so-called particulate theory of matter, was first put forward by the Greek philosophers Leucippus (~490 BC) and Democritus (~470–380 BC).[6]
what does it MATTER?

I'm now convinced that there are 2 types of people- do "something" and do "nothings". I'm also convinced people that do "something" whether its considered (good, bad, negative or positive) have actually done more damage than the do "nothings" whether its considered (good, bad, negative or positive)

Cagliostro the Great got it correct. " I have been in existential crisis since I learned to speak. I now realize it is all just a cosmic joke to which consciousness is the punchline, either you get it or you don't, either way its usually best to laugh anyway. "

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
But everything I did does matter. I'll write a list below of some of the things I did that changed the world..

1)

2)

3)

See, I just gave you three examples of some of the things I did that mattered.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I feel I'm in the enviable position to not giveing a flyin **** if it matters or not. I'm an artist and I do what I want; Not what is expected of me, not will sell and certainly not what will please others.

There is no compromise with the muse....

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Do you want your consciousness, your life to "matter?"

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Stop thinking of yourself as an extremely small cog in the universe where nothing you do matters..

Start thinking more like you are a very large piece in the machine that is your family & neighborhood where what you do makes a huge difference.

You can choose to feel worthless or important, the choice is up to you and only you.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
IF there is a God and a Grand Design then everything matters. IF there is no God and life is a random walk then life is pointless. The only question is if you believe in a creator. That is my opinion...your mileage may vary.
edit on 2015/1/18 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Some of the responses are understandable, but still highly illogical. Don't quit with simply expanding outside of yourself. Take it to it's furthest extent.

It's inevitable that our species dies out. Go beyond death. It's inevitable that you will be forgotten eventually. All traces of your existence will be wiped from anyone who remains for their short period of time in existence. Nothing you, I, or anyone else can do will stop the cosmic events which will eventually see this whole solar system die out, then the galaxy ripped apart, then the universe as a whole become nothing but void. Expanding out a little beyond yourself and then rationalizing yourself into somehow meaning something to anyone but yourself, and the few who get to know you, is just intellectual laziness.

There have been an estimated 100 billion who have walked the earth, and history recalls a tiny, tiny fraction of them in name, and our evolution as a whole. These "butterfly effects" are only meaningful to the extent that you choose to remain unaware. The more unconscious, the more meaningful.

I can take all of this in, and still sleep at night, wake early in the day, and pound out another experiment in this world, not in spite of the unbearableness of not mattering (wtf is that, anyways?), but BECAUSE it doesn't matter at all. It doesn't scare me in the slightest that the freak happenstance of complex life on this rock is only here for a short order, or that there's no objective to any of it. What you value is your own creation. If I can believe in anything, it's my will to transcend physical limitations through my mind, and recreate the situations internally towards my benefit, despite whatever negative connotations society happens to conjure up for my particular luck in this point of the riding of a multigenerational wave of sorts. I don't get why this can't be appreciated just as is. There's so much to lose in believing that you're somehow special, unique, and can transcend death through hocus pocus, and so much to be gained from realizing the preciousness of your time, so as to make the most of it before you are gone, gone, gone.

Meh, it just weirds me out so many still have this need to feel self-important. I like to play as well, but there's these things called gravity, radiation, and disease that keep me in check on occasion. Oh well.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It's not so much that I want to feel important. It's that I want to feel that I belong. My tendency is to forget that I am from the earth. I am the earth that is self-aware. That is enough, in fact I think that is quite impressive when I really think about it! I am part earth, part water, part heat, part light, part air and many other things. Try living without one of these elements. Without water you could not maintain your present form. Who is this " I " to which we constantly refer? It is easy to think I am only my mind or thoughts.
How long did it take for our wonderful eyes an subsequent vision to evolve from the earth? Marvelous if you stop to consider all the things you take for granted.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Just trying not moving your bowels for about a week and see how you view the Universe and your insignificant self in it then. In short, a good BM matters!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

1 cannot say that I totally comprehend the vastness objectively. But the approach taken by 1 is basically each time awareness is granted & more experience is obtained within the Phases of Life and Death within EXISTENCE, a level of maturity is made as well as SOUL/SPIRIT/INTERNAL ENERGY INTEGRITY increased (based on the Ascension from the current Existence experience either being up or down)
And so 1 tries to follow the sensed & perceived or "GUIDED" correct paths within these different phases which encourage Ascending up into higher frequencies as opposed to ascending into lower frequencies.

To not go on or try your best, to 1 basically forfeits your opportunity or prolongs your opportunity to ascend higher. Which in turn my trap you within lower realms of Existence repeatedly until you begin to produce momentum to raise frequency enough to RISE into higher realms...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It matters to me.... and I find it hard to understand how what you do doesn't matter to you?

If I do one thing, pain and suffering can result, if I do a different thing pleasure and comfort result.
My choices determine my experiences. My choices determine the state of my body, and my body is linked to other life forms around me, effecting their experiences, so .... how can it not matter?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join