It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky proposal: Encounter a transgender person in the wrong restroom, sue for up to $2,500

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

A proposal in the Kentucky legislature would require that transgender students avoid school restrooms, locker rooms and showers that don’t correspond with their sex assigned at birth.

Link

Quite the conundrum we have here. Some states have done the complete opposite and allowed students to use their bathroom of choice. It seems certain Kentucky lawmakers are choosing to go in the other direction.

Aggrieved students could seek up to $2,500 in damages from the offending school for each time they encountered a person of the opposite sex in school facilities, as well as “for all psychological, emotional and physical harm suffered,” according to the bill’s language. The offending school, the bill notes, would be required to pay the attorney fees and costs associated with the claim.

How would they possibly know who is or isn't transgender especially if they don't dress the part? Will there be a student registry or sign you have to wear around your neck?

In twenty nine states, it’s still legal to fire someone solely because they’re lesbian, gay, or bisexual. In thirty four states, it is legal to fire someone solely for being transgender.

Though Embry believes it’s important to keep transgendered students out of spaces where members of the opposite biological state are undressed, he said he doesn’t want to ban gay and lesbian students from places from where members of their biological sex congregate.

This is where all logic breaks down. If his slogan is to prevent students from feeling uncomfortable, than he needs to ban all forms of identity or expression that don't adhere to political correctness. An impossible task.

According to a 2011 report released by the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) and National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF), transgender people experience significant levels of discrimination, violence, and rejection in multiple settings.

Link

If a woman walked up next to me at a urinal and whipped it out, I certainly would have an opinion, don't get me wrong. After a few mental backflips, I would probably laugh to myself and the adult thing to do would be keeping that opinion to myself. Can't we all just practice a little restraint and learn to share the world and it's restrooms?

Lately, I just want to rip my head off and flush the darn thing down the toilet. It seems to be where we are headed. This nation has turned into a bunch of thin skinned, emotional aggressors who will gladly go out of there way to be offended. If everybody stopped looking to be offended, they likely won't be.

In celebration of my 1000th post, I just wanted to say.....

THANK YOU ATS AND MEMBERS FOR ALL THE GREAT DISCUSSIONS SO FAR

edit on 18-1-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So now, transgendered people are descriminated against because of a bathroom... Good grief. What's next, descrimination over sex specific dressing rooms?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'd bet most of the students probably didn't even see this as an issue, that is until they make it one. IMO, this will only bring more stereotypes and aggressive behavior toward transgender youths who only want to be accepted.

Bad move on their part if they allow this to go forward.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

There was just an incident in San Diego where a student (male body part) was harassed by a dude because he was dressed like a girl and decided to use the men's room.

How about when male students catch on and choose to use the female locker rooms?

It's going to be chaos, and super not cool.

The people running these schools are morons. I don't want people with penises in the locker room no matter how they self-identify.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

A proposal in the Kentucky legislature would require that transgender students avoid school restrooms, locker rooms and showers that don’t correspond with their sex assigned at birth.

Because, you know....

Being a certain gender is somehow keyed to what room you cop a squat in.

Antiquated, pointless, and downright pathetic.

-NF

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
To tell the truth...

When I'm hunckered down on a porcelain thone...the LAST thing on my mind is.....

"OMG, Dude looks like a Lady!!!"

-NF

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I think it is about being comfortable then just saying we offend to easily. WOuld you want me as male going in the same bathroom as your mother,daughter,sister. I know for sure I would not want a man going in the same bathroom as my mother.

and I think the law may be more for students who the other student and already basically know their gender/sex. And its more like I know him/her he is a boy. I dont think it is about doing checks as more students and people already know.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Because, you know....

-NF

Yes, I'm just sure that's what parents all over the country want. Daughters in restrooms and locker rooms with boys running around. And Sons in restrooms and locker rooms with girls running around.

Pretty sure those sentiments aren't antiquated nor the expectations for the privacy of their children, pathetic.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1
Great minds think alike. I'm going to start peeing with the gals.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Boy, when I was a kid I might have dressed up as a woman if they allowed me in the woman's restroom. If they caught me staring at woman, I would just say I was a gay transvestite that liked woman. They would have been confused and laughing so hard that they probably would not have tossed me out of school.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
I'd bet most of the students probably didn't even see this as an issue, that is until they make it one. IMO, this will only bring more stereotypes and aggressive behavior toward transgender youths who only want to be accepted.

Bad move on their part if they allow this to go forward.

It's usually a small group of ignorant rich parents who show up at meetings and claim they represent the entire district.

link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Because, you know....

-NF

Yes, I'm just sure that's what parents all over the country want. Daughters in restrooms and locker rooms with boys running around. And Sons in restrooms and locker rooms with girls running around.

Pretty sure those sentiments aren't antiquated nor the expectations for the privacy of their children, pathetic.

The schools are promoting that having a penis does not determine which locker room students use, and then complaining that campus rape is a horrible problem.

Does allowing men to enter the girls locker room make sense if rape on campus is a huge problem?

link   
When is the last time you saw a urinal in a woman's bsthroom?

Women's bathrooms only have individual private stalls with doors (except some schools which have doors removed).

I'm guessing in school a transgender student would be known to the administration. Very doubtful some random guys gonna dress up as a girl just so he can go into the ladies room ---- with private stalls.

Some countries have shared public restrooms and don't think anything about it.

More ridiculous hysteria of not understanding a difference.

Move along --- nothing to see here.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Hey, why not just use duct tape and make sure you'll be there for ALL the important moments of your child's life.

Bathrooms are for the purpose of a specific biological function and a necessary one a that.

Take your damned prejudices and worries of the boogeyman elsewhere.

-NF

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Because, you know....

-NF

The schools are promoting that having a penis does not determine which locker room students use, and then complaining that campus rape is a horrible problem.

Does allowing men to enter the girls locker room make sense if rape on campus is a huge problem?

Of course not. My comment was more sarcasm than anything. I'm with you on this one. I don't want men/boys running around the ladies room and I do not want women/girls running around the mens room.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Thank you for common sense

-NF

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

so what does that mean that other countries have shared public restrooms? what does that have to do with our country or my country. I dont like it when people use that argument well other countries are doing this and that. No! we have a signature way of doing things in this country that gives us our own identity for good or for bad,

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

A biological function which shouldn't expose boys or girls. I didn't realize that a parent wanting to ensure that their son or daughter aren't exposed is pointless or pathetic. Hey! While we're at it, let's take it a step further. Teachers use the same restrooms as students. I assume, by your logic, that it's okay for a male a teacher to be in girls restroom.

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with the whole thing?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

OMG....women/girls running around in the men's room....boys/men running around in the women's room...

THE HORROR!!!!!

What's next? We find out that Republicans and Democrats are actually two puppets used by the same puppeteer? Santa Claus and Baby Jebus are one and the same? Social Security benefits will be available to you?

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! CHANGE IS COMING!!!! THE END IS NIGH!!!!

-NF

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Wow, here we have someone with some rather conservative beliefs and values.

We have a *special* section reserved for you...right....over...HERE....

-NF

p.s. --- what, no comments about if I have or how I raise my own children? Come on...I'm ready!!! Smithers, unleash the HOUNDS!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join