It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing music and voices in white noise

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: cleverhans

When I was about 5 or 6, I remember hearing this type of phenomenon in the noises of the vacuum cleaner when my mom was vacuuming the house. It was usually short snippets of family members voices saying words I couldn't quite make out. The idea of the brain trying to make something familiar out of random 'white' noise makes sense here, because at my young age at the time, the most familiar voices would have been those of family members

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
I'd wager it was one of two things.

Either you are "hearing things"....

Or it is an auditory form of Pareidolia.

Either way, I wouldn't think there's much to be concerned with. That is, unless you start actually listening to what is being said. Acting on it.

But, it could make one cool as hell "concept album" if you decided to try to actually use the music you're hearing as inspiration behind making your own

-NF

I did that
The first new desktop PC I bought, had an Intel cooling system - this is comprised of two large fans mounted on top of a radiator assembly. The bizarre thing was that regardless of where I was in my studio flat, I could hear pop music tracks even if they did sound a bit "airy". One time, I even managed to write down the lyrics of the song that I was hearing, since I didn't know who the author was.

In theory and practise, it is possible to play sound through a fan:

But the next question is how audio is going through the power lines?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The mind creates the sounds 100%. It can happen much stronger if you have sleep deprivation, or chemicals in your blood stream that aren't FDA approved.. (humor).

If you have this happening even without being deprived of sleep or you aren't taking psychotropic medications, (even including FDA approved ones), then something harder to spot is going on with your physiology that should be checked.

Other sources do exist, but are much more rare and impossible to document.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Yes I do this a bunch. Funny thing is I never listen to music. And the music I hear is older music no heavy metal or anything close. Songs I have heard and do know though.
When it happens it's almost as if the music isn't there as well. But then I can make it out and exactly to the word.
I mentioned it to my sister when it first started.
I'm just happy it is descent music. Also kind of thought it could have to do with my bad teeth.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

I've encountered car radio noises as well. I'll be driving humming along to what I think is music just turned on very low volume when in fact it's not on at all.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

There are things out there and in you that use these frequencies that certain sounds cause the brain to hear them. Medication, certain stretching and materials can filter them.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I would go see a doctor.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Wow I'm glad I came to this thread. What you described has happened to me a few times. Like other posters, too, I thought maybe I'm going nuts or something. But then I figured I can't go nuts if I think I'm going nuts, lol. And when someone else hears it too, it's almost certain that we are not both nuts since one's hallucinations are a very personal thing so no two people can hallucinate the same.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Interesting thread, just recently I was editing some audio files, I had one of a lion out in the bush in high quality, I took that file and started experimenting with it, sped it up, slowed it down, at high frequency the cadence of the lion was very much like a monkey or other animal with high pitch output from it's cry, if you slowed it down, I began to think, there could be some hidden unexplained message embedded in what we see as just a roar or cry from a wild animal, it isn't far fetched to think that animals all can communicate possibly across the kingdom, regardless of frequency and actual language.

Now onto your white noise, just think that it is a carrier, if one were to embed any message, would it be great to somehow modulate that message into white noise? imagine an old TV set with white noise, or what we used to call snow, well there was all kinds of information in there, you just had to be able focus in the channel and frequency precisely and also that was the key to demodulate the signal, I think there are kinds of sound we think is noise but is has embedded information, you just have to know how to decode it....

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
It's interesting to read all these accounts. I have never experienced the phenomenon, but do have something. When I dream I always pray. I know I do because I remember exactly what I say when I wake up. And when I'm asleep I don't know it, but am conscious in what I say.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I have experienced this and have a theory about it. I think the piping in homes can sometimes act as a radio receiver and the room act as box amplification, thus creating a very very faint audible sound of an actual radio station during the right conditions. Usually for me, I could hear it most when it was quiet, without white noise, and it has been specific to certain places I lived.
edit on 19-1-2015 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Pareidolia and more generally apophenia

en.wikipedia.org...

That's because the brain evoloved to do exactly that. Identify meaningful patterns (like a face or a word) in all the stimuli it receives.

Sometimes it just goes overboard or is tricked. Actually a great deal of the threads on ATS are because of apophenia and pareidolia. "Seeing meaningful patterns in unrelated events".

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I've also experienced this often. It sounds like being in a large room with a bunch of people talking, it's muffled and I can't make out any particular voice. At times it can freak me out a little and sound very real. I've wandered if it could have something to do with my high blood pressure. It's very similar to standing up to fast and getting a head rush. The sounds seem to oscillate. I think the white noise is a large contributor to this effect and makes it more pronounced, which in turn my brain interprets as voices. Being a musician I aways have some sort of music going on upstairs, maybe that's part of it too, IDK? I just kinda go with it.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I've had it happen once when I was listening to a train idling and the noise from the engine turned into music. I don't know if the frequency of the sound had anything to do with it happening to me the one time. I had just been listening to an album earlier in the day, and that's the music I heard coming from the train engine.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder
I think I know what you're describing. I have woke up and thought I heard a whole house full of people. I could also hear old big band swing music. I got up and checked the place. It was just wind and rain running through the gutter.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I get that too. You can actually modulate an electric motor with an audio signal. For instance you can play Iron Maiden with your window fan.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Sounds similar to something I experienced a few times called Hypnagogia hallucinations.

Hypnagogia - Sounds

Hypnagogic hallucinations are often auditory or have an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called, crumpling bags, white noise, or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on — or summations of — their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.[26]

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've had that happen regularly since I was maybe 20, and I too always have a fan or window unit on when I sleep, but it doesn't always stop if I turn off the noise. For me, it only stops when I start looking for the source. I've come to accept that it's just normal for me, but it can be scary.
When it sounds like music it sounds like it's coming from outside usually. Several nights I've gotten up to open the door and as soon as I open the door it stops. When it sounds like voices, to me it sounds like a television in the background. I'll get up to see if I left it on and it stops. Other times the sound stops if I lift my head from the pillow, then as soon as my head is back on the pillow I hear it again.
Occasionally I'll here music or distant voices at night when I'm not even in bed. Usually when this happens I'm reading and the house is quiet. One night it was so intense that I really thought my neighbors must be having a party. I could hear distant music and several voices. When I realized that outside it was quiet I was spooked. I shut the door and the volume of the auditory hallucination picked up again. I ended up calling my husband who was out of town and crying to him that night.
Now it doesn't bother me. I still look for the source to make that it is in my head, but I can ignore it and go to sleep.
Reading about how common auditory hallucinations of this kind are is very comforting.
Also, the fact that it's always muffled and distant helps. If it's voices, it just sounds like a sitcom or news anchor in another room. I can't understand the words and there's never a threatening tone. If it were clear words, or like a deep demonic voice then that would bother me, but thank the universe it's not like that!
edit on 19-1-2015 by JessicaRabbitTx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ChrisB76728

That was a great link. Thanks. I get the crashes sometimes too when I'm in bed. It wakes me up and I go back to sleep. It's kind of like that falling sensation you get when drifting off, but instead it's a noise that jerks you awake.
Unlike the voices and music, a crashing sound, for me at least happens once and stops, it's quick, not constant.
The only thing that worries me is that there might be a break in one night and instead of calling 911 or grabbing a weapon, I'll just write off as in my head.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
These are all great points and I really appreciate everyone's input. I gather that while most of these experiences can easily be explained by our imagination, I think there's still some mystery to this - as some of you pointed out, the human ear can act as a receiver under the right conditions and can sometimes pick up certain sounds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join