It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[DRG 2015] DARA GHORN!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

DARA GHORN!

In ancient times, early man battled the wild beasts for the very right to survive.
The age of the Mammals had arrived, but there remained - hidden deep in the underground caverns of this Earth - remnants of a previous bygone age.

A massive upheaval on the surface of this Earth had wiped out every living thing which could not flee deep into a cave for protection.
But slowly, over many many years, the chaos began to subside, and the survivors blinked meekly back into the light.

They were few in number at first, and with all of the damage and destruction of their world, they had lost most of their tools for survival.
Their societies were in ruins, their civilisation shattered. They had returned to "survival" mode, like an Artificial Intelligence Program being re-booted.
Their priorities were Water, Food, Shelter, & Protection and THAT was IT.
In order to move on, they would have to start over from scratch and learn it all again... but how?
They needed a figurehead to follow, a leader, a healer, a teacher... a God.

And that's where Dara Ghorn comes in.

Back in the day, Dara had been just like all the others.
Though tall in stature, brave as they come and smart as can be, he preferred living the quiet, natural life.
He had studied the Natural order of things, how everything is inter-connected and he knew all about energies and the need for balance in all things.

When the time came, Dara had sensed the approaching disaster and had shepherded his family far below ground with plenty of supplies to ride out the worst of the carnage.
And now, as the world settled into its new rhythm he had come forth to survey the wreck of the world that once was.

He saw how many of the creatures of old had been wiped from the Earth, and he wept for them.
And he saw Man, wandering aimlessly, struggling to survive. Scratching a meagre living from scraps of scorched and wasted land, and he resolved to help them.
If he could only bring them together, teach them how to work as one, and show them how to care for the others, maybe they would have a chance to survive and thrive in the future?

So, he talked to them. Brought them together in groups. Showed them how to build shelter. Gave them the gift of Fire and started to teach them.
He taught them about agriculture, he taught them about science, he taught them about love and about balance & harmony. He selflessly taught them everything that they might need.

But Man is a deep and dangerous thing, and some men grew jealous of Dara Ghorn's status within their midst. They muttered and whispered and cursed, then using the very knowledge that Dara had given them...
They drew their plans against him. They adapted their tools to make weapons and they rose up against this "Dara Ghorn"
"Who does he think he is?" they asked, "Telling us what to do and how to live all the time"
"Drive him OUT!!! KILL HIM!!! KILL HIM!!!"

Dara knew what had been brewing, for he was very wise. He had sent his family away to safety, but stayed himself with forlorn hope to try and reason with the mob.
Alas, it was to no avail, and they struck at him with sword, spear and arrow, their minds closed to his wisdom.

So Dara rose up, spread out his mighty wings, spouted a blast of firey breath out over the mob's heads as a warning shot, then with a few powerful flaps took off, circled once and departed towards the North, never to return again.

From that day forth, man told the story of this "Dara ghorn" and how they had battled with him, and cast him out.
Children were kept in line with the promise that the Mighty Draghorn!! would come and get them if they misbehaved.
And over the years, as so often happens, the stories became twisted and muddled. The battles were exaggerated, the beasts name was shortened to "Dragon", and his very mention sent shivers down the spines of man.

In an ironic way, Dara's attempts at helping man had actually worked;
After all, they did come together, and get strong and survive to eventually thrive.
It's just a shame that man's history has labelled him as a Beastly Dragon, instead of the teacher, the giver and the healer... "Dara Ghorn".
edit on 18-1-2015 by Gordi The Drummer because: spelling

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Gordi, that was brilliant. Twisted words, half-remembered fables, meanings getting lost from generation to generation...I could believe in Dara Ghorn, I think. Loved it, just loved it!

B x

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

That was brilliant, and I'm not surprised!
Such a nice flow to it, beautiful to read.

You have SO much talent, dear Gordi.

S&F
jacy

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Great story Gordi!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
Gordi, that was brilliant. Twisted words, half-remembered fables, meanings getting lost from generation to generation...I could believe in Dara Ghorn, I think. Loved it, just loved it!

B x

Ohh Wow Beans, really??? I am... uhm.. speechless??? ME??? LOL
I totally missed the launch of this comp and had to fling this together in a quick rush just to get something in, but wow!
Thank you so much for your kind comments, I feel very humble.
Gx

originally posted by: jacygirl
That was brilliant, and I'm not surprised!
Such a nice flow to it, beautiful to read.
You have SO much talent, dear Gordi.

S&F
jacy

Ohh my. I don't know what to say, other than a heartfelt thank you.
You are so very kind!
Don't go changin'!!
Gx

originally posted by: Night Star
Great story Gordi!

Thanks hunni!!
I'm so sorry I missed the launch

I was offline for a couple of days twice recently, and I tried to catch up on all the posts I had missed but was apparently unsuccessful!
Hope my wee effort doesn't let you down!
Gx

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Awesomely Told Tale Gordy Bud!! Very well done!!! Fantastic!!!
Syx.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Cheers Mike,
Much appreciated my friend!
G

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Way cool!!!! S&F

I liked the good dragon - my own was so horrid... lol!

- AB

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Why thank you AB!
I like 'im too!! LOL

...then man messes it all up... again! LOL

G

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Well done! I felt like I was learning history and recognizing once again human nature for what it is.

Loved it!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Great story.

I enjoyed it very much. S&F.

CdT

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: grayeagle

Thank you Gray!
I am glad you enjoyed it!!

Hey Cirque!
Thanks for popping by!

I'm.... stunned that ANYBODY liked it TBH!!!! Just flung it together in 10 minutes because I missed the launch of the competition.

I sometimes do that with songs though.... some of my best ones come together super-quick.
Overthinking 'em sometimes ruins the.... flow? or something??

Anyway, THANK YOU both, for taking the time to read, and trouble to comment!
Much appreciated,
Big G!

top topics

join