It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragon Dreams [DRG2015]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I looked into The Mirror, and it seemed the mirror looked into me, and behind it, within it, lay another world.

My vision carried me in and out, from detail to the full wide globe of this place. It was full of small creatures, most of which were insects, but the predominant species walked on its back legs, was wingless, fleshy and mostly soft.

My own eye looked back at me, hung in the sky like a three-quarter moon, silvery and cold and watching. I was the black void night itself; all manner of worlds enfolded in my wings.

Strange that such pathetic little creatures would be shown to me in this frame. I was, frankly, offended. They built all those tall towers and squat...boxes, and I supposed that showed some intelligence?

That they craved the light was apparent. Everything was lit up in the dark - patches of the planet glowed like molten gold, so much so I licked my lips and ran my tongue across my teeth with desire.

Some vague and distant memory of eons past niggled the back of my sizable brain, and I found a name for them: humans. Ah, yes. This was the world of men. So this was what became of them since the Splitting of the World.

I could even see my own world seeping into theirs in places; little swirls of chaos and odd happenings, vortexes where the Old Folk, the Fey, the Pooka and the Ogre, and even a Dragon, could slip in and make mischief.

Why, I wondered, would this mirror show me such an image? All mirrors merely reflect the self, and this one, though it showed the Soul more than the body, was no different. What had men to do with me?

As I gazed in confusion, I realized, that within this world of puny, edible folk I did see my glorious self - at least among a very few of them - for there were hordes of riches clinging to the fingers of a few, not caring for the scarcity that stalked the others like hungry wolves; yes, they loved gold, and gems and they dripped with it, killed for it, sang of it, held it in their hearts, and sat upon it and ate it with their desserts. These were indeed my kin, my own reflection, and this world was indeed my soul. To think, the world of men was ruled by Dragons, after all! It made me smile, the gleam of my teeth showing briefly to the world for those with eyes to see it.

I noticed then, a woman looking intently up at my moon-eye. I saw her shudder, and walk briskly away, hunched and clutching her arms, my vision sticking into her back. Her dreams, most certainly, would be of Dragons…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for reading!

edit on 17-1-2015 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2015 by AboveBoard because: poeticalness...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Very Nicely Done AB!!! Very nice indeed!!! I was hoping to see You here!!! First S+F for You!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Hey Syx!!

Thank you so much for the S&F! I'm so looking forward to reading YOUR story!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Mine pales to a lot of entries. A Lot!! There are some very good stories this round!!! Very talented new writers!!! I am very impressed with the works!!! I just put one together to submit something. My other Dragon tales written way before this at My profile are better, in My eyes. But didn't want to enter an old one. Didn't feel right, Ya know?

Anyway. Great Job Here!!! Loved it!!!!!!
Syx.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

1 enjoyed the interesting read AboveBoard

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Hey Ophiuchus! Thanks so much for reading my very short story!!

Most appreciated...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

You are very welcome AboveBoard. Keep up the good work

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ooooh, I knew this was going to be impressive and I was right! Good job!!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hey Night Star!!

Thanks for dropping by to read my short short tale!! You picked an awesome theme - can't wait to dig into them all!

Blessings - AB

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I noticed then, a woman looking intently up at my moon-eye.

Uurgh, wish I'd thought of that.

That is a fantastic short story, so much captured in a few lines. I love the arrogance of your dragon, the hazy mists where the Otherworld slips through - I loved it all, really!

S&F

B x

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hey AB!
GREAT stuff there, I really enjoyed that. (AS ALWAYS!!!!)

"this world of puny, edible folk" ahahaaahhaaa!!!! Brilliant!

Thanks you!
G

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Ooh! That was so good! (I want a mirror like that, lol)

The "puny, edible folk" was hilarious!

I'm amazed that everybody is coming up with such unique stuff. No 2 stories are alike, every perspective is unique.
Really enjoying reading them all.

S&F
jacy

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Thanks, Gordi!

It was a rapidly created short piece - I could have expanded it a bit but didn't have time, so kept it to a "glimpse in the mirror."

Most appreciated!!!

- AB

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Hey Jacy! Thank you for coming by to read it!! I'm glad you liked it!!!

I always appreciate those who take a moment to read my stuff and I'm especially happy you dropped by...

- AB

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I am with you, for surely if dogs dream, then dragons must also. We all have probably felt the shiver that comes when they dream of us. Nice job friend!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I loved this!

S&F AB. Brilliant.

CdT

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
nice one indeed, I enjoyed it

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Thanks GreyEagle, Cirque and GregMann!

Most appreciated! I've been writing something else in my spare time (ha) and have lost track of this story and the competition...so many great stories were submitted! So little TIME!!!

- AB

new topics

top topics

join