It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: U.S. Department of Justice Ends Civil Forfeiture Program For State and Local Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
BREAKING: U.S. Department of Justice Ends Civil Forfeiture Program For State and Local Police
Read more at thefreethoughtproject.com...

This is sure a step in the right direction.....

“This important change in policy will strengthen protections for property owners who stand to lose their cash, cars, and other property without being convicted of or even charged with a crime,”
Read more at thefreethoughtproject.com...

It seems The Feds can still seize property, but it is ending the ability for the states to use federal power to confiscate property without due process.....I worry there's some more sinister agenda at work here.....but seems a pretty good start. What do you think ATS ?

Please forgive the quick OP, short on time today, but thought it was worth sharing......Have a Great weekend all.....

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

you would have thought this would be outlawed by a republican-lead DOJ, instead of a democratic-lead DOJ....good to see this change, it violated the 4th amendment big time.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Whats to stop the "authorities" from selling your stuff on the black market? The "confiscators" don't really care about due process and they probably know the local fences.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of either party and generally mistrust the DOJ........but your right this is so blatantly wrong and against the 4th, it's amazing it has been allowed as long as it has !?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Already a thread on it from yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Well, as far as I'm concerned anything seized without due process goes to a "black market" of sorts. I would like to think this is a step in the right direction, but as I've said, I'm skeptical......what might be the "angle" for this, another way to take power from the States? Not that the States haven't abused this power....I just don't know?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So are the feds keeping the loot when it's a federal crime or not?

Is this just a shuffle?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

opps........didn't see it....Thanks, I will join that discussion.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The reason that authorities get away with things like this (property confiscations) in the first place is because of propaganda campaigns that make it all sound like a needed tool to stop the crimes they claim it curbs, getting public opinion on their side, rather than the rule of law.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
The reason that authorities get away with things like this (property confiscations) in the first place is because of propaganda campaigns that make it all sound like a needed tool to stop the crimes they claim it curbs, getting public opinion on their side, rather than the rule of law.

I think your right, unfortunately until your high jacked on the way to buy a car with cash or some other reason you may be carrying lot's of cash, most people can't imagine they could be blatantly robbed by the police ! Since when and WHY is it not ok to use and keep your cash money on your person.....ohhhhhh that means the Banks can't use that money to gamble with....never mind........

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

what might be the "angle" for this, another way to take power from the States

Just an official announcement to cover their ass. States rights supercedes any official jargon anyway.

As if thievery on a National state and local level of American wealth isn't ongoing.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Another member, Seeker1963, in the other and 1st thread on this subject made an interesting point....perhaps this is a way to "grease the wheels" for the incoming head of the DOJ?

"And I think that's why Holder made this announcement! His selected replacement has a history of making a ton of money for the state of NY by using this so called law that Holder is so conveniently making this announcement!"

It's a good thread, sorry I made this OP without looking more closely that this subject hadn't already been posted.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

It's a good thread, sorry I made this OP without looking more closely that this subject hadn't already been posted.

No apologies, you didn't do anything wrong. I don't make threads anymore because theres always a "been there done that"' lurking, waiting to pounce…

they aren't even mods. So don't trip, I enjoyed yours… thanks for bringing the information.

regards,

intrptr

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join