It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bic Lighter - My Homage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Nice, I learnt something new today. Who would of thought a disposable lighter has so many fans?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dezertdog
a reply to: Hefficide

Bic's have way superior flints than the crappy Ronson you typically buy for a Zippo.

A dead Bic still has a good 1/2 inch that I rmove to use in my Zippo.

"A dead Bic still has a good 1/2 inch that I rmove to use in my Zippo."
No need for such innuendos talk,

"Bic's have way superior flints than the crappy Ronson you typically buy for a Zippo"
Leave Ronson alone, they made brilliant stuff. My first girlfriend gave me a Ronson lighter for my tenth birthday, it was gold and buffalo's hide and being so young at the time, I thought, well that's one fecking small Buffalo.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
So you know the secret McGyver Ligther trick ?

Its an old cowboy trick!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: dezertdog
a reply to: Hefficide

Bic's have way superior flints than the crappy Ronson you typically buy for a Zippo.

A dead Bic still has a good 1/2 inch that I rmove to use in my Zippo.

"A dead Bic still has a good 1/2 inch that I rmove to use in my Zippo."
No need for such innuendos talk,

"Bic's have way superior flints than the crappy Ronson you typically buy for a Zippo"
Leave Ronson alone, they made brilliant stuff. My first girlfriend gave me a Ronson lighter for my tenth birthday, it was gold and buffalo's hide and being so young at the time, I thought, well that's one fecking small Buffalo.

Didn't mean to disparage your ronson lighter. But you got to admit ronson flints are weak compared to a salvaged bic flint.

Even I did a double take upon re-reading that dead bic line.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
Well that's great to learn about Bic lighters. Keep denying ignorance and keep up the quality posts, Hefficide.

Dang, that was unnecessary.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
Nice, I learnt something new today. Who would of thought a disposable lighter has so many fans?

To me, its the fact that you rarely find items of high quality any more. And when you do, they are never as reasonably priced. It performs it intended job every single time without fail. What other mass produced items can say that?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
A Bic must be guarded with ones life! Many moons ago when I would hit the bar I would arrive at the drinking hole in the wall with a Blue Bic and wake up in the morning with a Yellow Bic.
This happened a lot and if there was internet access back then I would have posted a thread about it in the Paranormal section if there was an ATS way back then too! :-)

Sometimes I scored a brand new Bic and sometimes I awoke to a flat tire :-(

But all in all I love my Bic's too and so does my wife for lighting her incense and candles for her yoga classes.
OOOOOOMMMMMMMMM see everyone loves Bic's!

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
And when they run out, there is still plenty of flint left over to go in my Zippo. I get folks to save their empty ones for me. Had to add - I do keep Bics, butane mini torches and matches around. Never light a cigar with a Zippo. Ruins the taste.

edit on 17-1-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
To the most stolen thing in the world! The cheapies are kind of fun, in a way. If the flint comes out I use it for my zippo. Also, if a cheapo lighter dies and still has fluid, they're fun to blow up by catching them on fire. Silver linings, and all.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Pipes aren't good with a zippo, either. They don't taste quite right.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

What would Bob use?

edit on 17-1-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
You forgot to mention how bic helps humanity by allowing us all to flick our bics and burn them in solidarity when an 80's band comes on stage to belt out one of those monster ballads. We all wave our lit bics back and forth, mesmerized by lyrics and a knowing that you would not be sleeping alone tonight.

Not tonight.

Thanks Bic.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide Being a non smoker, I have to ask a stupid question. Why not buy a zippo lighter and refill it as necessary? It would seem to be less expensive in the long run

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Bics rock but It's gotta be the Clipper for me - well in my smoking days Anywho.
They even have the removable pokey bit for, um, poking.

edit on 18-1-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Cuz Bic!

Bic's are cheap, no maintainence, hassle free. As people have mentioned lighters tend to disappear in social settings. Lose a Bic and you're out a buck. Lose a Zippo and you're out far more than that - particularly if it's a customized, non-plain Zippo.

Plus one thing nobody has mentioned is that things Zippo's sometimes do where they refuse to go out and cause you to panic for about 10 seconds until you can finally shake the flames out. It's like holding a mini-bomb for a minute.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Plus you can pop the little metal part off the end of spent lighters and clamp them on your clothes and bags for some Punk Rock appeal!

Sincerely,
the girl sportin' a Mohawk

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just wait until the bic gets a little cold. I drive around in an llv all day (mail truck), and have to put my bic on the crappy heater for a few minutes to get it to spark.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
Plus you can pop the little metal part off the end of spent lighters and clamp them on your clothes and bags for some Punk Rock appeal!

Sincerely,
the girl sportin' a Mohawk

You've just made my list of people who rock. I grew up in SF in the eighties and was part of the whole thrash scene - which was metal and punk mixed. Love both immensely! And, yes, I have owned clothing with repurposed metallic objects embedded.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Crumbles
Just wait until the bic gets a little cold. I drive around in an llv all day (mail truck), and have to put my bic on the crappy heater for a few minutes to get it to spark.

All you have to do is to just rub it up and down on your pant leg or shirt. Four or five good brisk sweeps and it will fire right up.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Not when its under 20 degrees and you just got done walking a 20-40 minute relay. Your truck is froze as are you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join