It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raif Badawi 1000 Lashes/Prison/ Fundamentalist Saudi Arabia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Introduction to Raif Badawi for those unfamiliar with him. He has already received 50 of his 1000 lashes. He has to heal before the next round can be administered. They probably would have just offed him but they certainly want to make an example......and to the west.

On 17 June 2012, he was arrested on a charge of insulting Islam through electronic channels,[1] and in December of that year was also cited for apostasy, a conviction which carries an automatic death sentence.[5][6] Human Rights Watch stated that Badawi's website had hosted material criticizing "senior religious figures".[6] Badawi had also suggested that Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic UniveBadawi had also suggested that Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University had become "a den for terrorists."[7]

Badawi was first detained on apostasy charges in 2008, but was released after a day of questioning.[1] The government banned him from leaving the country and froze his bank accounts in 2009.[8] The family of Badawi's wife subsequently filed a court action to forcibly divorce the couple on grounds of Badawi's alleged apostasy.[1]

Following Badawi's 2012 arrest, Amnesty International designated him a prisoner of conscience, "detained solely for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of expression". A spokesman for the group stated that, "Even in Saudi Arabia where state repression is rife, it is beyond the pale to seek the death penalty for an activist whose only 'crime' was to enable social debate online".[9] Human Rights Watch called for the government to drop the charges, stating, "The charges against him, based solely to Badawi's involvement in setting up a website for peaceful discussion about religion and religious figures, violate his right to freedom of expression".[1]

Here is a guy like most of us here. Whatever our positions. Just look at what he is charged with.

This example was chosen simply because this guy was doing exactly what most of us do here. This is how an intellectual "moderate" is treated by Islamics and folks ask why more don't speak out even in the west. Just forget the tag "moderate" its any dam body that talks about it.

Islamic Fundamentalism or Radicalism......who needs it. I say to hell with it. Take your black rock and ram it.

Raif Badawi

edit on 16-1-2015 by Logarock because: ns

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Not being funny...

But what did he expect in Saudi Arabia?

A pat on the back?
A well done?
A go get em?

Its not right at all, but he knew what Saudi Arabian Laws dictate...

Think of all the stupid Laws worldwide...
We still abide by them in each respective Country, because we know the Law...

Maybe this sounds less than sympathetic.
But I think I can be sympathetic and still think he brought it upon himself.

Like sex offenders in America who slept with 17 year olds a day before their 18th...

It's a dumb Law... But don't break it FFS!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Poor soul.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Its a stretch to say he broke the Law

He wasnt insulting Islam, he was questioning some of its Clerics.
If a Cleric or religious leader is using their religion as an excuse to do wrong things shouldnt they be exposed?
Possibly what he was doing was defamation of character but certainly not insulting Islam

He was walking a line but from what I can gather he never directly insulted the religion he only questioned those who claim to follow it

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

He was walking a line but from what I can gather he never directly insulted the religion he only questioned those who claim to follow it

A lot of trouble those clerics. Man they have their people tied up tighter than a 2 dollar watch. What we call cultic proportions in the west. Make Jim Jones look like an amateur. Here in the west we are still fascinated with Charlie Manson for Petes sake!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Raif is going to end up looking like this and has about the same rights right now as this individual did. And really this sort of established Islamic theocracies are no better better than the old south in these regards. Cotton in one oil to another. Oh and check out the slave trade in Yemen sometime.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

That's not the point.

The point is that this is why these cultures and Western Civilization are incompatible. We don't understand them. We can't fathom this sort of thing. They are likewise just as dumb-struck when they see and hear things like Rachel Maddow and Rush Limbaugh, to say nothing of someone like Bill Maher who adds in the anti-religious screeds.

This is why there will always be friction between our types of cultures. They are not and cannot be based on the idea of individuality and freedom. We live and breathe those ideals from birth. Their entire culture is based on the principle of submission of will and person.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
Introduction to Raif Badawi for those unfamiliar with him. He has already received 50 of his 1000 lashes. He has to heal before the next round can be administered. They probably would have just offed him but they certainly want to make an example......and to the west.

On 17 June 2012, he was arrested on a charge of insulting Islam through electronic channels,[1] and in December of that year was also cited for apostasy, a conviction which carries an automatic death sentence.[5][6] Human Rights Watch stated that Badawi's website had hosted material criticizing "senior religious figures".[6] Badawi had also suggested that Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic UniveBadawi had also suggested that Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University had become "a den for terrorists."[7]

Badawi was first detained on apostasy charges in 2008, but was released after a day of questioning.[1] The government banned him from leaving the country and froze his bank accounts in 2009.[8] The family of Badawi's wife subsequently filed a court action to forcibly divorce the couple on grounds of Badawi's alleged apostasy.[1]

Following Badawi's 2012 arrest, Amnesty International designated him a prisoner of conscience, "detained solely for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of expression". A spokesman for the group stated that, "Even in Saudi Arabia where state repression is rife, it is beyond the pale to seek the death penalty for an activist whose only 'crime' was to enable social debate online".[9] Human Rights Watch called for the government to drop the charges, stating, "The charges against him, based solely to Badawi's involvement in setting up a website for peaceful discussion about religion and religious figures, violate his right to freedom of expression".[1]

Here is a guy like most of us here. Whatever our positions. Just look at what he is charged with.

This example was chosen simply because this guy was doing exactly what most of us do here. This is how an intellectual "moderate" is treated by Islamics and folks ask why more don't speak out even in the west. Just forget the tag "moderate" its any dam body that talks about it.

Islamic Fundamentalism or Radicalism......who needs it. I say to hell with it. Take your black rock and ram it.

Raif Badawi

It seems he may get a reprieve on the lashes. We shall see. Maybe even on the jail, who knows.

King to intervene?

The King of Saudi Arabia is to refer the case of blogger and activist Raif Badawi's to the Supreme Court, his wife has told BBC News.

His wife Ensaf Haidar - who is living in Canada with their three children - said the decision has given him hope that the authorities want to withdraw his punshiment, following an international outcry.

Her comments come after Saudi authorities postponed Badawi's second round of public flogging for a week, citing medical reasons, according to a leading human rights group Amnesty International, the Associated Press reported.

In May last year, authorities sentenced Badawi, 31, to 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes after he used his liberal blog to criticise Saudi Arabia's powerful clerics. The Jiddah Criminal Court also ordered he pay a fine of 1 million Saudi riyals (£175,700).

If this is true and they are bothered by the perception by outsiders, I say keep up the pressure, hopefully they will drop the lashes entirely.

Said Boumedouha, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa Programme said the postponement exposes the "utter brutality" of the punishment, and its "outrageous inhumanity."

"The notion that Raif Badawi must be allowed to heal so that he can suffer this cruel punishment again and again is macabre and outrageous. Flogging should not be carried out under any circumstances," said

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Here's a video of the actual flogging. It was far different than what we are made to believe, and the news media are saying it lasted 15 minutes. This was less than a minute from start to finish. Still wrong but a picture says a thousand words, and so does a video. link

Saudi blogger Raif Badawi publicly flogged on charges of "insulting Islam"

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Not surprised.

What I hear some in the royal family are not a fan of these sorts of punnishments

Its the clerics and religious police that run the country though.

Now the king has died I can see the new king leaving it be to appease the clerics.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Sometimes you have to make an example for people to recognize the edict (I refuse to call it law; it is unjust). That is how change is brought; how it is recognized by the masses; or media; or Governments. Sadly, one must offer themselves up to an alter to ensure future generations do not have to endure the same...or at least hope they do not.
edit on 23-1-2015 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Not surprised.

What I hear some in the royal family are not a fan of these sorts of punnishments

Now the king has died I can see the new king leaving it be to appease the clerics.

Last I heard, 4 doctors postponed the 2nd round for a 3rd tome due to his not healing properly.

They did a number on that man!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: crazyewok

Not surprised.

Last I heard, 4 doctors postponed the 2nd round for a 3rd tome due to his not healing properly.

They did a number on that man!

If they left it to the extremists they would likely have administered all 2000 in one go....

Saudi Arabia is a hairbreadth from a revolution.....unfortunately its in a ISIS style revolution. The Royal family have to tread a very very fine line. Most (from what I hear) are very west friendly, hence the strong ties to the UK and US. But the extremist in that country hold to much power.

Im not trying to make excuses for the Royal family as they should have more guts and try and make reforms but I can see the problem they have.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Some possible good news for Raif Badawi!

The flogging of a Saudi blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in prison for criticising clerics may be stopped and he could have his jail sentence reduced, it has been claimed.

Dr Elham Manea, spokesperson for Raif Badawi's family and a professor at the University of Zurich, said the Saudi ambassador in Germany had told a broadcaster of the development.

In a posting on her Facebook page, she wrote: 'Saudi ambassador in Germany informed NDR-TV that flogging will not continue and #RaifBadawi maybe not (sic) have to serve the whole time in prison.'

The 31-year-old won support from governments and human rights groups around the world after he was sentenced to the hefty jail time, a £177,000 fine and the lashes.

His official crime was to insult Islam but supporters say his real offence was to criticise the country's powerful Sunni clerics on his blog. He faces 50 lashings every Friday for the next 18 weeks.

UN officials say the flogging breaches international law as a 'cruel and unusual punishment' and the Foreign Office has said it would continue to raise the case.

I really hope this is true. Prayers that this is so!

This first showed up on a German page, and this has the German translations of what was originally said.

Translations

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Yea thats one reason we should suspect the above video showing a gentle thrashing.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

If a Cleric or religious leader is using their religion as an excuse to do wrong things shouldnt they be exposed?
Possibly what he was doing was defamation of character but certainly not insulting Islam

Who claims to lead it and be it.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
UPDATE ON RAIF BADAWI....

Raif Badawi faces new trial, says his wife!

The Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes could now face the death penalty, his wife has revealed.

Raif Badawi hit headlines earlier this year when he was handed the sentence for supposedly insulting Islam.

But after the first beating in Jeddah on January 9 this year, the process was paused when doctors ruled that a week later his scars had not healed sufficiently for him to face another round.

The punishment has since been postponed each week on medical grounds but the government has so far failed to come up with a long term solution.

Yesterday Ensaf Haidar, wife of the father-of-three, said her country’s criminal courts want him to undergo a retrial for apostasy.

She said the ‘dangerous information’ had come from ‘official sources’ inside the conservative kingdom.

If found guilty he could face the death penalty.

It comes nearly two years after a judge threw out the charge of apostasy against the 31-year-old blogger in 2013 after he assured the court that he was a Muslim.

Philip Luther, Director of Amnesty’s Middle East and North Africa Programme said: ‘We are looking into reports that Raif might be facing the death penalty again and can’t verify that at this stage. Raif and his family must be thinking "what new hell is this?"

‘The torment of facing each week the possibility of another brutal public flogging is an unimaginable torture. These latest rumours that the death penalty is a possibility again add to the nightmare.

‘Over a million people have called for Raif’s freedom. That should be the only development we’re hearing about.’

Last night Mr Badawi’s family explained that the penal court where he faces a retrial now has juristiction over major cases punishable by the death penalty.

In a statement the family said: ‘Due to a new regulation issued by the Supreme Judicial Council on 19.09.2014, the penal court has now jurisdiction over major cases, which are punishable by the death penalty, amputation and stoning.

Looks like want to "get rid" if him one way or another. Whether it be by killing him with lashes, stoning, amputation, or just outright killing him, one way or another, they want him dead and they mean to see to it that he is. I pray that he is able to overcome this too, somehow.

top topics

join