It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Sharpton calls ‘emergency meeting’ over Hollywood’s all-white Oscar list

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocketgirl

I really tried to say what you just did, but I think it was lost on some others here. You are correct, and said it much better than my feeble attempt. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

i have to disagree about mr washington. he is an actor but not the best. not even the best black actor. he has one role he plays (deep thinking semi good semi bad guy) morgan freeman is way better. but i feel that either kevin spacy or john malcovich is the best

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Al does need cash to pay his back taxes.

The more he acts like the 'boy who cried wolf' the more $$ he gets.

And people think he cares about the AA community ?

AL Sharpton is NO MLK.

Sooner the AA community come to that realization. The better off they will be.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

No problem, I understood what you were saying. That's why I responded to tell you that I agree with you, so don't even worry about it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow

Funny you should bring up Jimi Hendrix, I thought Andre Benjamin was snubbed for his turn as Hendrix in "All Is by My Side". The movie was pretty good, but Andre was incredible.

Yup, all great actors, but it doesn't change the fact that you listed a -handful- of the thousands of black actors that won't get a chance to be in a Hollywood movie because there aren't roles for them because Hollywood doesn't value black characters or stories in a way that is meaningful to this dialog as evidenced by 31 Oscars in 86 years.

well the point is, hollywood knows they are hot ticket items. so if they aren't giving them awards, the motive is not because they aren't incredibly talented or deserving of it, and it's certainly not because the public is racist against blacks. that is just simply flat out wrong! i actually WATCH movies with my favorite actors/actresses in them, not because of their race but because they are my favorite actors/actresses. i'm already passed that whole race thing.

i also like harrison ford, cary elwes (guy who played the dread pirate wesley), johnny depp and audrey hepburn. and i know i'm not alone in this and that there are literally millions of other white people who feel the same way about these actors and actresses and musicians, black or white. we've gotten past that already. why do we have to keep revisiting racism? it's bordering on abusive

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo
well the point is, hollywood knows they are hot ticket items.

Then why are they so under-represented in Hollywood films?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: crustyjuggler27

i have to disagree about mr washington. he is an actor but not the best. not even the best black actor. he has one role he plays (deep thinking semi good semi bad guy) morgan freeman is way better. but i feel that either kevin spacy or john malcovich is the best

well morgan is a close second, but i have a special place in my heart for mr. washington.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

well i would argue, it's because it has only been a little over a generation since rosa parks.

but in that time, an entire generation of kids grew up enjoying black artists the same as white artists. so mr. sharpton is confusing people, big time.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

well i would argue, it's because it has only been a little over a generation since rosa parks.

but in that time, an entire generation of kids grew up enjoying black artists the same as white artists. so mr. sharpton is confusing people, big time.

It's been 50 years, how about we start blaming today's racism for today's problems?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i was born in detroit. lived in the suburbs, but my music was the jackson 5, diana ross and supremes, the temptations, smokey robinson and the miracles, al green, gladys knight and the pips and etc. when i heard them sing i didn't think -- oh it's a black person or black people. it just didn't enter into the equation. i drove my parents crazy by playing the "na na na na hey hey goodbye" 45 record, over and over again. hehe. i also was a fan of the fifth dimension and charlie pride, as a kid, cause my dad bought the albums and let me play them. i also liked the beatles, the herman's hermits, and the whole british music scene.

THE PEOPLE OF THE USA GOT OVER RACISM . we did. these folks would not be rich and popular, if we hadn't.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

It's been 50 years, how about we start blaming today's racism for today's problems?

what are today's problems? the inner city is where the problem is, not in hollywood.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

THE PEOPLE OF THE USA GOT OVER RACISM . we did. these folks would not be rich and popular, if we hadn't.

Racism is over because a handful of musicians made money?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

i was born in detroit. lived in the suburbs, but my music was the jackson 5, diana ross and supremes, the temptations, smokey robinson and the miracles, al green, gladys knight and the pips and etc. when i heard them sing i didn't think -- oh it's a black person or black people. it just didn't enter into the equation. i drove my parents crazy by playing the "na na na na hey hey goodbye" 45 record, over and over again. hehe. i also was a fan of the fifth dimension and charlie pride, as a kid, cause my dad bought the albums and let me play them. i also liked the beatles, the herman's hermits, and the whole british music scene.

And we wouldn't have our current president.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

what are today's problems? the inner city is where the problem is, not in hollywood.

Well, this thread is discussing the problems of the Academy's racism, which you are participating in. If you want to discuss the problems associated with inner city culture, start a thread, I would be happy to participate.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
i get this sinking feeling that because mr. sharpton said that, it'll be blamed on the american people.
it'll be the fault of white people, down at the street level, when we are the ones that actually buy their stuff that pays their incomes, not hollywood producers. it's like poking your best friend in the eye repeatedly and then getting upset when they say "ouch"

le mew, le sigh.

edit on 16-1-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Sharptons dead wrong on this issue.

Awards shows always leave out good films and acting but...Think Citizen Cane not winning an Oscar, but ...I don't think there is an issue here. Overall I didn't think last year was a particularly good year for film anyways.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Racism is over because a handful of musicians made money?

more than a handful!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

They aren't.

It's almost as if movies are made in direct relation to their consumer demographics...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Do your worst Al, we will not cater to terrorists. If you want a award, you have to earn it like everyone else. Oh by the way Al, 13% of a nation doesn't look 100% black. We'll use the media to destroy you if you try to muscle in on our action.

Seriously, I don't like either. It will be fun to watch them both squirm.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

They aren't.

It's almost as if movies are made in direct relation to their consumer demographics...

Which would be great it that were the case.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join