It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Sharpton calls ‘emergency meeting’ over Hollywood’s all-white Oscar list

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Remember back in the late 80s early 90s it was cool to be black.

Black movies and TV shows were the thing.

We had The Cosby Show, A Different World, In Living Color on TV.

We had all those positive black movies where the actors were playing corporate type people.

They had stories to tell.

Then, they just kept acting "black".

By that, i mean, they kept all their black colleges, their black beauty pageants, their black " words " that only blacks can say.

They dropped the ball.

How can we relate to them when they make movies with the N word, and then we can't even speak the same language?

THEY MAKE MOVIES FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIR MOVIES SUCK.
edit on 16-1-2015 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

So are my twins. That is their favorite movie.
I'm tired of watching it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
They're all pissed because Oprah Winfrey's Big Baby, Selma, wasn't recognized enough. You know Obama is having that movie specially screened for him in the White House.

Which is rather amusing considering all the hysteria about what sort of "black movies" Obama would like texts between the Sony executives.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

everything is awesome... now you'll have that in your head the rest of the day.

you're welcome

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another

everything is awesome... now you'll have that in your head the rest of the day.

you're welcome

Now, not only do I hear Al shouting about the atrocities of the Academy Awards, The other ear is being bombarded by great moments from the Lego movie. You have been so helpful.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
The thing is...

Even if he is right, & his profiteering aside...

He is still just perpetuating the Myth that the Oscars are not completely fixed & also absolutely meaningless in the real World...

This is what leads young people to Celebrity Worship & Idolatry...

One of the biggest problems with the younger generations today...

They force the low self esteem of beautiful young girls who think they aren't good enough in any sense...
They force the mysoginistic attitude of intellectually stunted young boys who think that the world owes them something...

They force inequality, male feminisation, female masculinity & they want everybody backwards and broken mentally...

& he is worried about Hollywood... The Black community, who he "cares" for, & everyone else would be better off without that paedophile filled sacrificial alter of filth.

& has he mentioned all the Biblical films with White leading roles?
I doubt it...

What a joke!

You could be the "Al Sharpton" consultant for businesses who want to improve their "Muslim" PR. Seriously. You could be a force for good to heal divides instead of making them bigger.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
oh i don't care what you say, whoopi goldberg is pure gold!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Appreciate that vote of confidence Jamie.

However I've resigned myself to the idea that those who want to learn will...
Those who don't will remain the same...

I don't seen an inbetween like I used to.

& I say that towards all unrest at the moment, not just to do with Islam.

It's got to such a late stage in the game I came to a realisation that people either care or they don't...
I don't think anyone is sitting in the fence anymore.

With that in mind I'll leave it upto those who do still think they can teach people.

People like Sharpton & Farrakhan

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

I loved that movie, probably one of the best comedies out there.
Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn

I loved that movie, probably one of the best comedies out there.
Thanks for sharing it.

me too. i think trading places is my favorite of all time, just barely ahead of the princess bride and the star wars saga. ever see trading places? if not, you should.
edit on 16-1-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

yeeep. good stuff.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think you have hit the point better than any so far. Thank you for taking the time to make such a great reply.

Selma was a good movie, just not great. The movie should have done much better at the box office, but by it's 3rd week, it had only garnered $11,200,000. This could be blamed on it's limited release. The movie cost $40 million to make, and the dire predictions are they need to make $50 million to break even.

Maybe a great director would have made a better movie. Certainly the cast didn't make it so. I believe it was nominated for Best Director, but apparently they didn't have the very best.

Compared to Taken 3, which brought in $40 million on it's first weekend, I don't think they had the best director, just the best director for this genre. And this type of action movie is what appears to be what the masses want. Go figure.

Again, thank you for your insight.
edit on 1 16 2015 by retiredTxn because: ETA

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Yes, when it originally came out. Trading Places was a good one.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

well this situation will probably earn it more sales, perhaps by those who haven't seen it yet. i haven't seen it but then i didn't even go to see the hobbit, and i really enjoy the lord of the rings movies. serious topics like selma, are not my forte' either, as i prefer films that contain more light heartedness or fantasy (real life is already frought with problems).

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I love Eddie Murphy - one of the funniest movies of all time is Bowfinger - AWESOME!

AND Morgan Freeman Shawshank Redemption - IMHO, one of the TOP 10 Lead Actor performances of all time.

Nothing in the past 10 years comes close to matching these two guys...so what, they happen to be Black.

Art is (or should be COLORBLIND) and honestly, it is for me.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Hollywood does have a history of racism and snubbing black actors. Some of it is so in your face. I'm a hip hop head, but giving an Oscar to Three Six Mafia for It's Hard Out There for a Pimp? Denzel finally wins playing a corrupt drug dealing cop in Training Day but is snubbed for Malcolm X?

With that said though, you cannot deny that all Hollywood cares about is money. If an actor of any color is making money, Hollywood will cast them. Some of the most successful actors of all time are black, so I think it is hard for Al Sharpton to play the race card.

Will Smith
Samuel Jackson
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman

In fact, I believe Samuel Jackson is the highest earning actor of all time in terms of movie revenue.

Al Sharpton is a buffoon. He is used by white liberals as a buffer negro to keep blacks on the liberal victimhood plantation. They then allow him to enrich himself for his services. That is the con as someone mentioned earlier. He makes a fuss, the liberal media picks it up, and then he gets Hollywood to pay his National Action Network consulting fees or a "donation" to make the controversy go away. how do you think this no talent huckster made enough money to actually owe the IRS $4.5 million? Same play book Jesse Jackson uses.

Booker T. Washington said it best 100 years ago;

"There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Sometimes all the coins just land tails up.

He needs to retire this nonsense already.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Maybe it will boost it's sales. It sure can't hurt it. I saw it hoping for a great movie, but left rather disheartened. I almost want my money back, but learned not to listen to all the hype.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Its made me wonder...since the Blacks have BET and countless other predominantly Black organizations, why don't they have Black Movie awards for Blacks in movies predominantly directed at the Black community?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join