It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Complaint that Baker Refuses to Decorate Cake with Anti-Gay Message

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The World has gone mad hasn't it?

Everyone knows that sexual orientation rights trump religious rights, right? No? Well just to confirm, it does and let's be honest why shouldn't it?

Now if I, as a heterosexual wanted something insulting written on a cake about religion and the baker refused to do it, would I have a case? No, and rightly so.

Just buy the cake and put the message on it yourself, if you are filled with so much hate.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
Sorry but it's the same thing as forcing a Christian baker to bake a cake for a gay wedding. If you expect Christian bakers to bake your gay wedding cakes then gay bakers better be able to bake Christian cakes for Christians.

Take your hypocrisy and suck it down.

And this (non-gay) baker was perfectly willing to bake a cake for the Christian - in the shape of a Bible, no less.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

But the baker is still discriminating, making a distinction, based on their own personal views. The other guy wasn't allowed to do that.

The customer here was trying to get the baker to decorate a cake in a manner that is obviously offensive to the baker personally. For the christian baker it was was no less offensive really than putting two men's name on a wedding cake or a figurine of two men.

And that is the whole point of he exercise. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Again is it really the bakers place to discriminate against anyone?

She didn't discriminate against anyone. Maybe you need to study the word and it's meaning. She doesn't do hateful slogans for ANYONE. It would only be discrimination if she did hateful stuff for some, but not for others.

So a guy gets trashed because he want to make cakes for heterosexuals only?

More like, "For bigots only". I'm heterosexual and that cake would NOT represent me.

Your arguments have been shot down one after another... How far will you go?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Not only doesn't the baker have to write the message, he doesn't have to sell them the cake.

Business owners are free to fire customers who are a##holes. There's no law against that.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Did what the man want written on the cake come from the bible? If not then he really can't say that the baker is discriminating against his religion. Just because the Christian faith is against homosexuality doesn't mean you say whatever you want about it and claim it's my religion.

Well it was a private business proposition were the personal preferences of the persons providing service were brought to bear on the outcome in both cases.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
T&Cs T&Cs T&Cs T&Cs T&Cs T&Cs T&Cs T&Cs!!!

I must hold my digital tongue...

This shouldn't just be thrown out of Court...

There should be some sort of charge against the Christian who wanted the Hate Speech on the cake...

Saying that, I'd love it if they made the Cake...

Someone at that shoddy wedding would have to eat the word Homosexual!!!

That's the best I can do... Due to T&Cs!!!

Charge for what? It is perfectly legal to say crappy things in the US.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
And that is the whole point of he exercise. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

And if he'd asked for a cake, even with a positive message on it, he would have gotten it.

In the previous case, the couple was turned down for a simple (non-decorated) cake.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Again is it really the bakers place to discriminate against anyone?

She didn't discriminate against anyone. Maybe you need to study the word and it's meaning. She doesn't do hateful slogans for ANYONE. It would only be discrimination if she did hateful stuff for some, but not for others.

So a guy gets trashed because he want to make cakes for heterosexuals only?

More like, "For bigots only". I'm heterosexual and that cake would NOT represent me.

Your arguments have been shot down one after another... How far will you go?

Well see "bigots" in a case like this is no different than using the word "fag" to describe the customer. It really is.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

But the baker is still discriminating, making a distinction, based on their own personal views. The other guy wasn't allowed to do that.

The customer here was trying to get the baker to decorate a cake in a manner that is obviously offensive to the baker personally. For the christian baker it was was no less offensive really than putting two men's name on a wedding cake or a figurine of two men.

Except that the point of this exercise is apparently what's good for the goose should be good for the .... alien on a space ship (i.e., apples/oranges). It WILL get thrown out of court.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Did what the man want written on the cake come from the bible? If not then he really can't say that the baker is discriminating against his religion. Just because the Christian faith is against homosexuality doesn't mean you say whatever you want about it and claim it's my religion.

Well it was a private business proposition were the personal preferences of the persons providing service were brought to bear on the outcome in both cases.

Just because it was a private business proposition doesn't mean the baker has to put hate speech on the cake the man wanted. Crying it's my religion doesn't give a person an automatic free pass on spreading hate.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It`s very possible that it could be something straight out of the bible,the bible has some pretty strong anti gay verses in it.I wonder if that will make a difference on how the court views the case?

personally I think that should be a moot point since clearly this guy isn`t really a Christian he is just using the Christian label to rationalize and act out his hateful beliefs.There`s nothing Christ like about what he did,

vengeance is mine saith the lord
judge not least ye be judged
love they neighbor

he can`t use the bible to justify doing non biblical things.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

And if he'd asked for a cake, even with a positive message on it, he would have gotten it.

Positive message?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I said "there should be"... Not that there will be...

Over here Hate speech is punished in various ways.

Same in the States if it can be proven it will incite violence.

So again.

Should be, because they're #s

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Well see "bigots" in a case like this is no different than using the word "fag" to describe the customer. It really is.

And I'll bet the baker wouldn't print "Bigot" on a cake, either.

edit on 1/16/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Positive message?

Yes, like "Praise the Lord!" or "The Lord is my Shepherd". You know, POSITIVE MESSAGES. Not negative messages like, "Homosexuals are Despicable Sinners!"

Got it?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Except that the point of this exercise is apparently what's good for the goose should be good for the .... alien on a space ship (i.e., apples/oranges). It WILL get thrown out of court.

Oh, I don't doubt it will get thrown out of court, however, it just seems that some discrimination is okay in our society and some is not.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Just because it was a private business proposition doesn't mean the baker has to put hate speech on the cake the man wanted. Crying it's my religion doesn't give a person an automatic free pass on spreading hate.

Try to see it for what it is. When someone comes out of the closet they have to shove somebody back in. The religious conscience....meet the new queer, the new closet queen.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Oh, I don't doubt it will get thrown out of court, however, it just seems that some discrimination is okay in our society and some is not.

OK Doc, explain how this man is being discriminated against.

The baker makes cakes for everyone.
The baker refuses to put hateful messages for everyone.
The baker treats everyone the same.

Where's the discrimination?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
He has the right to refuse his services to anyone for any reason. Whether that be someone requesting an anti-gay message, a pro-gay message, an anti-(your favorite thing here) message. Doesn't matter. If not, someone would have to force him to make a cake. Image living in a place where someone is subjected to forced bakery. Insane.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join