It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's oldest person Ethel Lang dies aged 114

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Which is quite staggering when you think about it , Ethel Lang was born in 1900 during the reign of Queen Victoria , a teenager during World War 1 , a young lady during the roaring twenties , survived World War 2 and was a pensioner in the sixties when I was born ... and here's me thinking 50 is old !

Just imagine the changes she witnessed through 114 years on this planet !

Her main hobby was dancing, which she enjoyed until turning 107.
She was also a keen snooker fan and her favourite player was Jimmy White.
She had worked as a dressmaker and was described as "an excellent seamstress". She never smoked and rarely touched alcohol. She was a good cook, made her own bread and always ate wholesome food.
Genetics were on Mrs Lang's side; her mother died aged 91 and, when her family tree was traced, a family member found ancestors going back to the 1700s who all lived long lives
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Rest in Peace Mrs Lang , a life well lived.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
That is something . I had a neighbor I used to visit and chat with . Josh Breau born 1882 son of Olivier Breau and Sylvie LeBlanc and his wife Josephine LeBlanc married 1903. Josh lived to be 108 years, he died in 1991. photo courtesy of Barbara M Russell. www.acadian-roots.com... He was doing fine until he slipped and broke is hip .He died in the hospital from Pneumonia . A great guy and had a good mind right to the end . a reply to: gortex

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

A great guy and had a good mind right to the end

I think that's the most important thing , it's all well being that kind of age but if you don't have an active and functioning mind then what's the point.
Your friend was still sharp at 108 years and Ethel Lang didn't stop dancing until she was 107 , they were still living and enjoying good lives.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This guy planted a garden every year and people would actually stop and take pictures of it .He used string lines to make sure he got them straight .He would that his scythe and keep a rather large field next door to him cleared of bushes just because he didn't think it right to let it grow up . a reply to: gortex

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
RIP Ethel! We have a horse we called Ethel.
I love these old people stories.
I read that until about 5 years ago a few women were still being paid a government war widows pension form the CIVIL WAR because of a promise made by Abe Lincoln. And two children of Civil War veterans, are still receiving pensions from their fathers' service int he Civil War.

Incredible huh?
edit on 17-1-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

On a related note Happy Birthday to Gladys Hooper who has inherited the crown of Britain's oldest person , Gladys turned 112 today.

Asked about the secret of her longevity, she said: "I have always been busy, I prefer being busy than being idle, that's what I don't like about now, I can't get about like I used to.

"I have always lived a straight life, never done stupid things. I have never gone beyond the limit, always been active. I think always being active keeps you young.

Gladys Hooper was running her own car hire business in her 20s
"I have done what I wanted to do and helped others as much as I could.

"I do not feel anything like the age I am, I do not feel any different to when I was 70," Mrs Hooper said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Happy Birthday Mrs Hooper and many happy returns.

top topics

join