It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family outraged after Miami police uses mugshot for target practice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Sremmos80

I wouldn't dare use one of those.

For one I do have some respect for the good officers.

The second reason is fear of reprisal from the other type of officers.

You forgot to mention there is no way to tell the difference until after they violate the oath by violating your rights or openly committing a crime.
Defund them now. Civil judgments should come from their pensions not from the general fund.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

This is the kind of behavior that opens a department up to civil lawsuits when a officer related shooting happens. In this climate this kind of behavior is downright stupid on top of being wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Personally I don't really see the big deal here.....they are printing out their own targets as opposed to buying those (with actual people's faces on them) from a LE target company such as the one in the link below.

Targets

Scroll through and check them out...plenty of faces on there.

I have pretty much the same view about this as I do the criminals who have actually been shot.....don't commit a crime and it is likely you will not end up as the paper target for a SWAT team to practice with. They were simply printing mug shots to shoot at.....big deal. Now if you can prove by some means that they were specifically targeting the individuals they used then that would be a story....as it stands it isn't.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Now if you can prove by some means that they were specifically targeting the individuals they used then that would be a story....as it stands it isn't.

Someone decided which mugshots to use, and they decided to use the mug shots of black men.

I think that is noteworthy.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow

Now if you can prove by some means that they were specifically targeting the individuals they used then that would be a story....as it stands it isn't.

Someone decided which mugshots to use, and they decided to use the mug shots of black men.

Really? Where did it say that? I must have missed the quote where they stated they decided to use these mugshots and made sure they were all black men.

Their department has already stated that these were pre-printed, likely in mass, along with targets of only women, only whites and only latinos. This is a catchy story with biased reporting on it being bad because there are black people on the targets.....even the picture shows only ONE target that was used...so where are the other targets from the day....the ones with all whites, latinos and women.

Like I said...someone is just upset and needs consoling because they are so sensitive....ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Really? Where did it say that? I must have missed the quote where they stated they decided to use these mugshots and made sure they were all black men.

Their department has already stated that these were pre-printed, likely in mass, along with targets of only women, only whites and only latinos. This is a catchy story with biased reporting on it being bad because there are black people on the targets.....even the picture shows only ONE target that was used...so where are the other targets from the day....the ones with all whites, latinos and women.

Like I said...someone is just upset and needs consoling because they are so sensitive....ridiculous.

Exactly, where are the other preprinted targets that the police department claims to have used?

What the soldiers discovered when they entered the range made them angry: mug shots of African American men apparently used as targets by North Miami Beach Police snipers, who had used the range before the Guardsmen.

Someone decided to only use the black men, which was the claim by the soldiers. Are the soldiers lying or the the cops?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Exactly, where are the other preprinted targets that the police department claims to have used?

What the soldiers discovered when they entered the range made them angry: mug shots of African American men apparently used as targets by North Miami Beach Police snipers, who had used the range before the Guardsmen.

Someone decided to only use the black men, which was the claim by the soldiers. Are the soldiers lying or the the cops?

No...that was a single target that is shown in the story. Maybe, just maybe, that was the only one the report chose to use BECAUSE it was all black and inflammatory in the current state of affairs. You think they would have brought up the all white one and said they were angry? No...it was all black and one of the shots happened to be the mugshot of a family member of another shooter there, who was black, and who got offended. Glad to know our National Guardsmen are so easily offended.....hope they never have to ACTUALLY defend anything.

It would be a non-story had it been an all white target they used in the story. The ONLY reason this is a story is because someone wanted headlines for their reporting. The OP source link is so obviously biased and wanting attention it is ridiculous....and actually really poor journalism at that.

That was a single target used by a sniper on a single lane...multiple mugshots printed on the same piece of paper. The week before they likely used all latinos or all whites, or even the all blacks one....who cares?
edit on 1/16/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You think they would have brought up the all white one and said they were angry? No

No, I don't. Which is why they are so upset, because there weren't any white ones. You keep talking about white ones being there, but you don't have anything to back that up with. The only presented evidence is the story and the picture.

You don't believe the story, and that's fine, but I have no reason to have any faith in what you are saying, because you weren't even there.
edit on 16-1-2015 by TheArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You think they would have brought up the all white one and said they were angry? No

No, I don't. Which is why they are so upset, because there weren't any white ones. You keep talking about white ones being there, but you don't have anything to back that up with. The only presented evidence is the story and the picture.

You don't believe the story, and that's fine, but I have no reason to have any faith in what you are saying, because you weren't even there.

Yeah...nobody has an agenda to put an all black target used by police on the news right now at all....

Their department made a statement that this report chose not to use.

Major Kathy Katerman told HuffPost that the department has multiple lineups for target practice. Some feature only white men, others are all Latino and one features photos of only women.

"The public thinks there should be one woman and one white man and one black, but that's not really what test is about," Katerman said. "We have targets of all races."

Source

So that shows this story is biased reporting with an agenda.

And I don't believe you were there either, yet you are taking the story hook, line and sinker.....

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

And I don't believe you were there either, yet you are taking the story hook, line and sinker.....

Based on the available evidence.

You are adding your own insinuations and suppositions.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Based on the available evidence.

You are adding your own insinuations and suppositions.

As did the story in the OP. Like I said...the department also made a statement that they use all races and sexes in their target practice. This was simply a story that was used for inflammatory reasons because of all the "LEO killing blacks" stories in the news lately. The OP simply decided to omit that part of the story...shows enough bias for me to not think this was the only target in the range that was used.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

As did the story in the OP. Like I said...the department also made a statement that they use all races and sexes in their target practice. This was simply a story that was used for inflammatory reasons because of all the "LEO killing blacks" stories in the news lately. The OP simply decided to omit that part of the story...shows enough bias for me to not think this was the only target in the range that was used.

The police chief said his department will resume use of human image targets after it expands the number of images in its inventory.

Look, I get it, you are defending the police. You don't want this to be true, and you are trying hard to make it seem like it isn't. There is enough reporting on this, with statements from the department, and surrounding departments, to understand that something isn't right about what these police were doing, and enough incidental evidence to conclude that it was stupid on top of wrong.

Fortunately, the chief has more sense than you do.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

The police chief said his department will resume use of human image targets after it expands the number of images in its inventory.

Look, I get it, you are defending the police. You don't want this to be true, and you are trying hard to make it seem like it isn't. There is enough reporting on this, with statements from the department, and surrounding departments, to understand that something isn't right about what these police were doing, and enough incidental evidence to conclude that it was stupid on top of wrong.

Fortunately, the chief has more sense than you do.

Yeah....I get it too...you are defending the report. You want it to be true and all inclusive.

If they are going to report on one aspect of the targets, why not report on ALL of them.....simple...they are biased and looking for a story that will shock and outrage a community.

It is pretty common for LEO to use actual faces for targets. The only reason this one likely came to the news was because one of the targets happened to be a mugshot of a shooters brother from when he was arrested for being involved in the death of 2 people in a drag race....yeah, lets give him some coverage because he has been wronged....please spare me.

I don't care if I am right or wrong....I am simply over this entire "LEO is targeting blacks" argument all around. It is ludicrous and only being pushed by an agenda from media. My point is that they are really stretching to say that this is wrong in any manner and ONLY doing it because this target was one of all black mugshots.

Should I be offended because I am a man and there are no women on there? Or is your argument solely because of the latest news stories in the media being about blacks being shot by LEO while in the midst of criminal behavior?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Should I be offended because I am a man and there are no women on there? Or is your argument solely because of the latest news stories in the media being about blacks being shot by LEO while in the midst of criminal behavior?

If you need to be offended because you are a man and there are no women, that is your prerogative.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

If you need to be offended because you are a man and there are no women, that is your prerogative.

Exactly...so let me know when you figure out why this is even a story at all. Oh I remember...because the mugshots, of criminals, were all black....same argument...why no outrage about that?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Exactly...so let me know when you figure out why this is even a story at all. Oh I remember...because the mugshots, of criminals, were all black....same argument...why no outrage about that?

There is outrage. I thought the outrage was what you had a problem with.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
What type of range is this? I've never been to a range that even allowed the use of pictures of real people as targets. It was a no-no and you would be banned for doing so.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: XTexan
What type of range is this? I've never been to a range that even allowed the use of pictures of real people as targets. It was a no-no and you would be banned for doing so.
'

LEO/Military can use whatever targets they want.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: XTexan
'

LEO/Military can use whatever targets they want.

Not at the range I go to, granted its up to the owner of the range. Not a law or anything.

That said, possible race issues aside, if the range allows it I don't see a problem with it. I do consider it poor taste. Can't they print up generic faces for this instead of real ones?
edit on 16-1-2015 by XTexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Sadly I'm not surprised. The justice system is full of racists, until more people acknowledge this it won't change... that or people can keep being inconvenienced by protest.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join