It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope says those who insult religion should expect a punch on the nose

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster
My oh my.... Wasn't Jesus all about forgive n forget?

He is not Jesus...he is a man last time I looked, so he can punch all he wants.

To put his words into something people here might understand better...

If you feel the need to talk SH*T then don't be surprise if you get you A$$ kicked...understand now?

edit on 15-1-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
You certainly have the freedom to do what you want.

Go up to a criminal and charge him with dastardly acts but when he takes out his gun and pistol whips you don’t complain to the criminal THAT FREEDOM IS ABSOLUTE SO YOU CANT PISTOL WHIP ME!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Feeling like Philip Fry here:

So it's not okay to insult people for their religion but it's okay to punch someone on the nose for cursing your mum?

I really am a bit dim these days.

Is it an analogy? If you curse religion, expect your nose punched?

EDIT: I wish I knew that - I would have laid the smack down on some feral on the bus last year mocking my mother having cancer. Without fear of sin. Cheers Il Papa.
edit on 16-1-2015 by auroraaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I will punch anyone all over
for trying to MAKE me belive
in any diety...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
does that go for the easter bunny that lays egg FFS, and santa too? we all know that if santa reall came down the chimney while its snowing there is a great chance of 3rd degree burns or combustion, they're all fairytales in my mind.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I guess, "turn the other cheek" and other sayings by this "JESUS" guy are no longer viable? Religion is a crock!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
I guess, "turn the other cheek" and other sayings by this "JESUS" guy are no longer viable? Religion is a crock!

not technically correct...religion has been a very use full tool for control and has been used successfully for many years

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold What gives this jerk the authority to tell people that they can't make fun of a persons religion. Imo, he is overstepping his mark and acting more like popes from back in the dark ages.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Hiya buddy, Has he punched any rapist priests lately? Biggest insult must be a bloke in his holy robes raping a child.

...or are silly cartoons worse? Religious leaders eh? Nuts.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Hey Kandinsky. Old Francis seems aqll over the place, liberal on somethings, conservative on others. As far as Popes go he doesn't seem too horrible, but there were a few questions regarding his complicity with the junta in power in Argentina in the 1970s.

www.theguardian.com...

The Catholic church and Pope Francis have been accused of a complicit silence and worse during the "dirty war" of murders and abductions carried out by the junta that ruled Argentina from 1976 to 1983.

The evidence is sketchy and contested. Documents have been destroyed and many of those who were victims or perpetrators have died in the years that followed. The moral argument is clear, but the reality of life at that time put many people in a grey position. It was dangerous at that time to speak out and risk being labelled a subversive. But many, including priests and bishops, did so and subsequently disappeared. Those who stayed silent have subsequently had to live with their consciences — and sometimes the risk of a trial.

I've not got a lot of time for religious leaders, but he seems less horrible than most. Still, he holds a lot of power over a large amount of people, and I worry that his comments may be taken as encouragement by the 'jihadists', as well as some sort of tacit 'allowability' or 'green light' for members of his own 'tribe' to take certain matters into their own hands.
edit on 16-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
He also said this:

“One cannot make war [or] kill in the name of one’s own religion, that is, in the name of God.”

and that violence carried out in God’s name was “an aberration.”

Fundamentally, I think he's right on all counts. No one on either side of this horrific page in the book of human history is in the clear.

When the provokers provoke, insult, make fun of anything, even though it might be their "right" to do so, there are still consequences to their actions.

Some of these consequences are mild, some not even visible, and some extreme, and this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

edit on 1/16/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

He is not Jesus...he is a man last time I looked, so he can punch all he wants.

Jesus was also a man, in case you forgot... the pope is not meant to say this. He is meant to promote peace and forgiveness.

Stupid pope. Im starting to believe he is actually the last pope! What a joker!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Nothing to the punch in the nose those who thrust it into our faces despite historical fact getting into the way of its reality.

What do any of these people say to themselves at night in their beds when they actually think about what they are peddling? Have any of them seen any sign of a god with all the attributes they give him? yet they still think they should earn a living out of religion and not get a proper job.

He especially with the history of christianity and its disgusting inquisitions into people's lives, the earning from selling trash supposedly holy relics is hardly something to be proud of, seats in heaven also sent on sale due to the catholic church - add that to the putting to death by burning and murder and you really do have a great lot of very holy men I don't think.

Its a pity that spirituality ever got in the way of the desert religions they don't have the ability to peddle anything half decent amongst the lot of them.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Pope says those who insult religion should expect a punch on the nose

Sorry but he's wrong.

If something is stupid it deserves ridicule.

And if someone insults a religion, I would expect the members of that religion to do what Jesus said - turn the other cheek and pray for the insulters.

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - I would expect people to be able to control themselves and not commit mass murder over having their religion 'insulted'.

Side note - one persons alleged insult is another persons truth telling.

If I sit here and tell the truth about Muhammad - that he was a mass murdering war lord who invented a religion to give his thievery and murder some backing - is that an insult or is that just plain old telling the truth? Answer - it's the truth. The truth shouldn't be afraid to be told simply because some people won't like it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

If I sit here and tell the truth about Muhammad - that he was a mass murdering war lord who invented a religion to give his thievery and murder some backing - is that an insult or is that just plain old telling the truth? Answer - it's the truth.

I liked your reply. But you could have added the part about his slightly underage wife too.

I don't like what the Pope said. He should have left it with the fact that it is not okay to commit violence against those that utter words that one doesn't like. As it is, he is passively condoning violence, IMO.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Whatever happened to 'Turn the Other Cheek'?

Korg.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Oh look....another frikkin' apologist.

How very original.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

As it is, he is passively condoning violence

Of course he is.
All is going according to plan....

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The pope needs a new job as religious people are supposed to love their neighbours and promote peace not violence.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

religious people are supposed to love their neighbours and promote peace not violence.

Psst....
"Supposed" to and actually DO are two vastly different things, especially amongst "the religious" who generally speak out of both sides of their mouths....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join